Quantcast
Need more guitar discussion - Page 49 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 49 of 119 FirstFirst ... 39 48 49 50 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Need more guitar discussion

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Wrote & recorded a new tune. Not quite done yet but I like what I've got so far. Except for the retarded guitar fill at 44 seconds in.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7052531

Last edited by kaput; 04-03-2019 at 07:59 PM.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by kaput
    How long does it take newbies to break in their fingers? After half an hour yesterday I was almost bleeding and today I couldn't last more than 10 minutes. Even typing is difficult now!
    A little over a year and i'm pretty good to go all the time. Probably doesn't take nearly that long to get "broken in" though.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Put some ice & water in a bowl. When your fingers get sore, soak them for a bit, then let them dry out before you go back to playing. You'll develop callouses faster, and it'll help to keep them from getting too hard and having rough edges that'll catch on the strings.
    Your callouses will come pretty quickly if you're playing often. Just don't push it. I used to play until my figertips were almost bleeding, and I couldn't touch it for a few days afterwards. Better to play for 15-20 minutes every day as oppose to playing 3 hours, then not being able to do anything for a week because your fingers are too raw.
    I have a horrible habit of constantly biting my fingers. As a result, my callouses are constantly being ripped off, and my fingertips are like pieces of ripped up plastic.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

It took about a week of playing a couple hours a night for my fingers to start to toughen up. It'll get better though
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Originally posted by TKRIS
    Put some ice & water in a bowl. When your fingers get sore, soak them for a bit, then let them dry out before you go back to playing. You'll develop callouses faster, and it'll help to keep them from getting too hard and having rough edges that'll catch on the strings.
    Your callouses will come pretty quickly if you're playing often. Just don't push it. I used to play until my figertips were almost bleeding, and I couldn't touch it for a few days afterwards. Better to play for 15-20 minutes every day as oppose to playing 3 hours, then not being able to do anything for a week because your fingers are too raw.
    I have a horrible habit of constantly biting my fingers. As a result, my callouses are constantly being ripped off, and my fingertips are like pieces of ripped up plastic.
    mine just peel off when i play

use your pinky btw, it is useful and using it will build even callouses on all four fingers, i can stab my fingers with a tack full force and it won't even puncture any more, it just takes time.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    firebird

I remember when I decided I was going to learn some David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. I picked the song Shine on Your Crazy Diamonds, all 18 minutes of it.

Gilmour is very well known for soaring bends and I spent about 3 weeks learning about 8 mins of the 18 min song.

After the 3rd week, I had nearly sawed the edge of my first finger right off because of all of the bending in that song and I could literally not play for almost 2 weeks before it finally healed.

Moral #1: What was said above- dont over do playing or you WILL be out of commission for a few days or more.

Moral #2: If you want to really learn how to be an expert string bender and build strength in your fingers for bending, you should pickup a few pink floyd songs and try to emulate Gilmour's style (phenomenal guitar player).
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by finboy

mine just peel off when i play

use your pinky btw, it is useful and using it will build even callouses on all four fingers, i can stab my fingers with a tack full force and it won't even puncture any more, it just takes time.
    hahaha mine too... mostly when i'm bending strings on the 1st - 3rd frets on the E string... its like a cheese cutter and sometimes slices a layer off.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

Hmmm... it sounds like some of you guys might be pressing too hard down on the fret board. I never have skin come off. I also don't play as frequently as you'd expect too.
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Originally posted by kerry
    Hmmm... it sounds like some of you guys might be pressing too hard down on the fret board. I never have skin come off. I also don't play as frequently as you'd expect too.
    12 string does it every time

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

Ah I've never played a 12 string. LOL. Doubt I will too hahaha. Not my cup of chamomile.
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

I'll add into this discussion.

Last year over the winter semester break, I picked up my guitar for the first time in two years. (I played pretty heavily for quite a while. An injury left a bit of nerve damage in my left hand, and after that I really had no finger dexterity or strength and it was quite awkward for me to play.)

By that time, the caluses on my fingers were completely gone.
    It took probably a week of playing for a good hour or two per night for there to be a nice, noticeable calus...and probably about two more weeks for the pain to go away.

Over that time, i did have some skin peel slightly on my fingertips, but it was barely noticeable.

If you're playing a 6 string, i'd agree that you might be pressing too hard.

Out of curiousity, what brand of strings are you using?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

Last edited by kaput; 04-03-2019 at 07:59 PM.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

Out of curiousity, what brand of strings are you using?
    regular slinkys on all my guitars... the green pack IIRC.

The only time I get sliced fingers is on the 1st-3rd frets cause its a lot harder to bend, and actually really only when I play the guitar solo from 'paper wings' by rise against.
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    '15 GTI

there definitely is a perfect medium pressure to use when fretting strings...enough to always ensure a proper note, but light enough that it doesn't impede mobility...also different pressures and fretting styles affect tone

My Ride
    firebird

The size of frets and gauge of strings also make a huge difference. I setup my PRS soapbar for slide with 11s and tried playing some regular stuff on it and it really kicked the $hit outta my fingers.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    Giant Reign

Bought a new guitar saturday - my first new guitar ever (started learning on a hand me down almost a year ago). It's sooooo much easier to play than my old one, action is super low and I'm loving it. I like the shape too, allows me to play all the frets.

Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by zipdoa

regular slinkys on all my guitars... the green pack IIRC.

The only time I get sliced fingers is on the 1st-3rd frets cause its a lot harder to bend, and actually really only when I play the guitar solo from 'paper wings' by rise against.
    try Elixir Nanowebs instead. They are a lot smoother and easier on the hands, and they don't go dead as fast as ernie balls do. EBs need replacing after like a week of my playing.. I can get months to a pack of a elixirs.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

I just bought some Elixirs the other day.
    I've been using D'Addario XL's and halfrounds. I really like the feel of the halfrounds, but the bass is too muddy on a HB guitar, and they go dead too quickly.
    Hopefully I can get some more time out of the Elixirs. Fucking things are expensive though at $15 a pack. I'll hopefully get some time to go to Ed Roman's and Guitar Center later this week while I'm in Vegas, so I'll see if I can find some shit cheaper down there.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Originally posted by TKRIS
    I just bought some Elixirs the other day.
    I've been using D'Addario XL's and halfrounds. I really like the feel of the halfrounds, but the bass is too muddy on a HB guitar, and they go dead too quickly.
    Hopefully I can get some more time out of the Elixirs. Fucking things are expensive though at $15 a pack. I'll hopefully get some time to go to Ed Roman's and Guitar Center later this week while I'm in Vegas, so I'll see if I can find some shit cheaper down there.
    ed and cheaper don't really go in the same sentence from what i've heard

Page 49 of 119 FirstFirst ... 39 48 49 50 59 ... LastLast