Quantcast
Need more guitar discussion - Page 60 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 60 of 119 FirstFirst ... 50 59 60 61 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 2368

Thread: Need more guitar discussion

My Ride
    boosted crvtec civic

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I have an Epi Les Paul Studio. Serial number indicates that it was made in 1999 and I know I'm at least the 3rd owner of it, so I certainly wouldn't count out the need for new strings. But I'll look into those other things. Thanks!

if you havent changed the strings since you've owned it, that should be your first choice. i change my strings probably once every month or two when just playing a little. when i jammed with my band three times a week, i changed my strings every 2 weeks at least.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

^Yep. If you haven't changed strings yet You need to do that now.
    My fingers eat strings. When I only had 1 main guitar, I had to change strings every 3-4 weeks.
    If I were you, I'd head down to L&M and pick up 4-5 sets of 0.10 strings.
    Don't put 9s on a Les Paul, IMO.

Also, since the guitar isn't a spring chicken, when you take the strings off, clean it up.
    I use mineral spirits on the fretboard, some sort of guitar cleaner on the rest. I like to get some of that 000 synthetic steel wool (no metal to get stuck on pickups) and then just run it lightly back and forth down your fretboard. As it bumps over the frets, it will clean and polish them up a bit. Then I put a very small amount of mineral oil on a rag (2-3 drops) and get a light coat over the fretboard. Then polish the rest of the guitar. I use regular car polish (NuFinish). Don't use anything with an abrasive.
    Good time to give it a once over and adjust the truss rod and intonation as well. Just be careful. Don't go cranking your truss rod 3/4 of a turn at a time. Baby steps.
    I've found that if you adjust the truss rod so that the neck is dead straight without any strings, then when you put the strings on, the tension will give the neck about the right amount of relief. Then go ahead and set your action (lower isn't always better) and adjust your saddles.

It'll take a bit of time if you haven't done it before, but it's worth it to learn to do it yourself. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay someone $40-$60, and wait 2-3 days, every time you want to try something a little different. It's not too difficult. Experiment and find what works best for you. Once you've got that, you'll be able to set up pretty near any guitar to your own tastes in a few minutes.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

So would you recommend I get like 4-5 of the same strings or should I get different kinds to play around with to get a feel of what I might like? And when you say don't get 9s, does that refer to the first number in the string number (ie: 9-42, 9-46)? What do the numbers mean?

And should I just grab this cleaning stuff at L&M?

Thanks for helping a noob out guys!

Edit: okay thought about it a bit and I'm guessing 9-42 means the strings included are 0.9 - 0.42 gauge?

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

The numbers for the strings are the thickness in inches. 9's usually refers to 0.009-0.042 sets, though you can find sets that are 9-46 also available if you like slightly thicker low strings.

As far whether using 9's is a good idea or not, it depends on the guitar. Any shorter scale 6 strings like Les Pauls, Explorers (24.75" scale length) don't intonate properly with thin strings on them. You can make them work but you'll have a hell of a time keeping the guitar in tune. Anything 10-46 or heavier will work ok. Any longer scale guitar (25.5") work just fine with 9s on them.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride

Yeah.
    The shorter scale lengths have less tension on each string. 10s on a Les Paul (24.75") feel similar to 9s on a fender (25.5").
    You can play around with different things, but it will require work to get everything set up right. I use 10-52 or 11-52 on my Les Paul, and I have to widen the nut slots and adjust everything. Unless there's a reason you think you need to change, just stick with the standard 10s that 99% of people use and learn to set up with those. Then if you want to try something new down the road, you'll have experience doing all the adjustments necessary to set it up correctly.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Thanks guys. I went to L&M this afternoon and grabbed a bunch of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46's.

How do these tutorials look as far as setting up the guitar?
    http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setti...itar/index.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4482706_set-...ic-guitar.html

I'm a bit nervous about bunging things up! Haha

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Thanks guys. I went to L&M this afternoon and grabbed a bunch of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46's.

How do these tutorials look as far as setting up the guitar?
    http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setti...itar/index.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4482706_set-...ic-guitar.html

I'm a bit nervous about bunging things up! Haha
    When I bought my last electric, I had Jim Mozell do a quick set up on it. (http://www.weblocal.ca/mozell-guitar...algary-ab.html)
    He's pretty bad ass. A basic set up will run you about 50-75, it's nothing you couldn't do yourself, but if you are afraid of damaging something or don't have any experience, it might not be a bad idea to have someone else take a look at it.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride

Well, to each their own, but I fiddle with shit WAY too much to pay someone $75 every time I need a setup done. I'm far to cheap to pay someone $75 every time the weather changes.
    I ripped my tele completely apart a couple days ago, detailed everything, rewired everything (new pots, caps, etc) Put a brand new bridge on, restrung it, set it up and had it ready to play again in a matter of a couple hours start to finish. Know how much that would have cost me to have a tech do it all?
    It's not rocket science. Aside from some finicky stuff that requires specialized tools to do properly (like making a new nut), most of this is shit simple.

Take it slow, make a small adjustment, then retune, then check. Repeat until everything is how you want it.
    Just remember to stretch your strings really well before you try to set your guitar up. If you're trying to set anything with new, unstretched strings, you're going to be pulling your fucking hair out trying to figure out why nothing is going, or staying, in tune.

IMO, knowing how to do a basic setup is as important as knowing how to change strings.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Anyone ever done a string change on tremolos?

I have one with a Bigsby which L&M fucked up, scratching my Gretsch in the process and one coming soon with a Kahler/Floyd Rose contraption.

Is this something easy to do solo or should I just leave with the professionals?

My Ride

I haven't done bigsby's, but I've heard it's easiest to do it one string at a time.

As far as Floyds, it's pretty easy if you keep in mind how you want it to work once it's done. There's a video I saw awhile ago that shows a good, easy way to set them up.
    Probably still a lot easier to just do it 1 string at a time, but I hate doing that. I like to give everything a good once over and clean everything up whenever I change strings.

Here's the video:

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-14-2020 at 06:01 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by TKRIS
    Well, to each their own, but I fiddle with shit WAY too much to pay someone $75 every time I need a setup done. I'm far to cheap to pay someone $75 every time the weather changes.
    I agree. As much as I'd like someone to have a once over with my guitar, I'm too much of a cheap ass to pay someone to do it. Plus I'm a pretty hands on type of person. Fortunately the internet's full of enough information for me to figure it out on my own. YouTube's got a bunch of useful videos:

Truss rod adjustment:

Bridge:

Intonation/Saddles:

Pick-up height:

Re-stringing

Seemed a little overwhelming at first, but these videos sure make it seem easy now.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Yeah thank god for youtube eh? I've learned so much shit from that site alone.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

For sure. I took apart my guitar yesterday. Removed the tuners, bridge, pickups, knobs, everything and gave it a polish and waxing. The fretboard was nasty. The truss rod did need a bit of a tightening, but not much. Those videos definitely helped with the setup, though I'm sure there's still some adjustments to be made once I get a better ear for things.

My Ride

Just came back from Kickaxe guitars on 9th in Inglewood. Very very impressed with that place. Big store prices with small store service.

Nice to see we have two decent stores in Calgary now, L & M as well as Kickaxe. (Axe is pretty good generally too though)
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

I managed to snag a 1980 Tokai ES175. Only problem is the original owner removed the pick guard. Anybody know where I could get a replacement for it?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by DENZILDON
    I managed to snag a 1980 Tokai ES175. Only problem is the original owner removed the pick guard. Anybody know where I could get a replacement for it?
    Nice! Is that one of the "lawsuit" models? How does it sound? Since it's almost a carbon-copy ES-335, I can naively assume that it'll fit? eBay.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Just came back from Kickaxe guitars on 9th in Inglewood. Very very impressed with that place. Big store prices with small store service.

Nice to see we have two decent stores in Calgary now, L & M as well as Kickaxe. (Axe is pretty good generally too though)
    Cool! Always nice to see new players emerge. I like Mother's and MCC, who carries Vintage-brand guitars. I only like L&M because they carry Godin and Gretsch but they're just too far for me.

That and I don't like Guitarworks.
    Last edited by flipstah; 12-29-2009 at 10:02 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Nice, I'll have to check that out one of these days. Unfortunately the three closest guitar stores around me are the three Guitarworks. I like L&M but it's quite a ways out for me.

My Ride

Yeah being a lefty, I hate stores that refuse to carry anything for me (or other lefty players). MCC particularly is the worst for that. I seem to get the vibe: "fuck off, your a minority, so no we dont waste our time bringing in lefty shit".

That and their very pricey with a puny selection of strings and everything else. I've been boycotting them for 3 years now. Fuck those clowns.

I find them to be 10-20% more expensive then L & M or Axe, in terms of EVERYTHING I mean.

Anyway, I was pricing out a Dean 5 string at KickAxe, doing some research I found out more about this guy... Just an absolute GOD at guitar, fucking Christ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG74eVb6V10
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5Qa...eature=related
    Micheal Angelo Batio, you are my hero.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 12-29-2009 at 11:32 PM.

My Ride

The only place left in Red Deer to buy shit is insanely expensive.
    Most of the strings are about 75% more than they are at L&M.
    I went to see about a set of EMGs a few months ago. They wanted $330+.
    I can buy the same thing in Edmonton or Calgary for $210.
    The guy told me that any lower than that, and they'd be selling them at, or below, cost. I'd suggest that maybe they should get a different supplier...
    Great staff, but the prices are fucking retarded. It's like they think we're on the fucking moon and there's no such thing as a car or the internet so they can charge whatever they want.

I won't even go there for strings anymore. It's easier and less irritating if I just load up whenever I'm in Edmonton or Calgary.

Page 60 of 119 FirstFirst ... 50 59 60 61 70 ... LastLast