Need more guitar discussion - Page 112 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 112 of 119 FirstFirst ... 102 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2368

Thread: Need more guitar discussion

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Awesome.
    I wish my guitars had a Moustache...
    I haven't really even played a really nice acoustic like that, and I don't think I should. I buy way too much shit as it is.

Kiddo got her first guitar, and she's ready to shred
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Nice choices for a starter. That's awesome man.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Lol, thats funny. That Yorkville was my first big amp, only I had the dual 10" version. hahaha. To me it was very lacking in tone, so I decided to upgrade to the David Eden, yeah they are loud enough for even small shows too.
    That's what I started on for bass too. Then went to an Ampeg SVT. I thought for the money it had good tone. Then I went into a punk band and went for old school and big, but shit tone with the old Peavey set up.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by TKRIS

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by TKRIS
    Awesome.
    I wish my guitars had a Moustache...
    I haven't really even played a really nice acoustic like that, and I don't think I should. I buy way too much shit as it is.

click for larger version
    She needs a baby-Taylor too, just sayin'
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by Perfect Dark

Haha yeah I'd say it was loud...my ears were always shot after a 2 hour session in the basement.
    I literally got permanent Tinnitus from the last session we had where Bourge got some feedback on his guitar.

Every night.... RIIIIIIIIIIINGINGGGGGGGGG
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Gah, damn this thread. Start talking about old solid-state GK gear and sure enough I find myself the owner of a GK 400RB head and a 2x15 cab.

The head is a few months older than I am but still sounds great. The cab started life as a Peavey but the original speakers are long gone and were replaced with a pair of Eminence 15s at some point. I'm waiting to hear back from Eminence on what exactly the speakers are, they look the same as the current Legend CA154s but are from '99 and lack any Legend labeling. The cabinet itself has seen better days but I'm not complaining at $300 for the lot.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

^^ that is muy awesome sauce

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Nice rig, should keep the bottom end together in a band scenario

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Aye, she's a thundering beast. More amp than I really need right now, but I love the sound of the GK RBs and the price was right. Should keep the amp GAS down for a while.

For the experienced players and teachers here, what age do you recommend for kids to start learning guitar?

My boys are only 2 and 3 currently but are showing an interest in music already. I figure they would probably have to be at least 6. (I was 6 when I started piano lessons).

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

My opinion only, and I rarely have a clue what I'm talking about:
    My 6.5 year old is small for her age, and she's *just* big enough to be able to wrangle her mini strat.
    I would predict that piano could be started earlier than guitar.
    My 3.5 year old plays around on our pianos, but she's barely coordinated enough to be able to hold her ukulele properly, let alone do full chords on a guitar.
    Speaking of which, have you thought about a ukulele for the kids? Cheap, easy to play, chords are SUPER simple (many are 1-2 fingers), and easy to transpose to guitar so you can play along with them.
    The first thing both my girls learned was Twinkle Twinkle on a uke.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

Both of my boys have shown an interest in guitar / music etc...

My opinion has been to give them an introduction into music theory and then start on an instrument.

My oldest started out wanting to play guitar like me but found that after a year of lessons it wasn't for him.

However during that year he was also doing music theory and learning to play piano which he really enjoys.

Now his beginner guitar is now my camping rig and he has a digital piano in his room that he uses regularly.

Coles notes ...

Music theory first....instrument second.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Check out guitaleles, basically a classical guitar chopped off at the 5th fret. (Tuned A to a), $100 bucks and way more flexible than a uke if they want to move to guitar later...

click for larger version

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

This is my 55-77 reissue lp special, just got it back, waiting for the local guitar shop to get a truss cover in, but it sounds great, i really love the 60's p90 in the bridge. I am having some troubles with garageband but will try to get some clips tomorrow, until then...

Jarin's dog decided she needed to check it out...

Work was done at guitar OR, it was awful when I got it...

Last edited by finboy; 05-09-2014 at 10:25 AM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Wow, you're not kidding when you say it was rough. It looks like they attempted to use plumber's putty to fix the broken headstock.

I just (finally) finished my fretless bass project this afternoon. The bass is a 90's Yamaha BBN4II, it was my first bass and an utter pile of crap - I bought it on eBay ages ago for very few dollars. I fiddled with it for some time but it was so frustrating to play it put me off of guitars for years.

Now that I know more about the mechanics of things, it was obvious the whole thing was pretty out of whack - bad frets, bad setup, fretboard cracked from headstock to heel. Despite the thing being a bit of a pile, I didn't want to dispose of it, so I decided to defret it instead.

The frets were removed (and oh boy did that ebony fretboard splinter like a bastard regardless of trying every fret-heating trick in the book), I installed hard maple inlays in the fret grooves, and CA glued the dozen or so now-visible cracks in the fingerboard to stabilize it, along with filling in all the splinter gaps with an ebony dust/CA slurry. The board was finish-sanded with a 9.5" radius block and the neck was reinstalled and strung up with Fender tapewounds.

Playing it quickly indicated something was still not right with the neck. Loosening the truss rod completely gave barely enough neck relief and there was a distinct location on the fingerboard that buzzed on all strings. Another teardown and a once-over with a long level determined the neck needed more relief, and that the fingerboard was not flat - there was a high spot around the 11th "fret" that was likely there when it left the factory. I force-bent the neck with clamps and a little heat for a couple of weeks and fixed the relief issue, and today I completely resanded the fingerboard flush (60-grit to 400-grit in stages), retreated it and put everything back together.

Success! It's like a whole new bass and plays better than it ever has. Using just the bridge p/u and rolling back the tone gives a fantastic faux-contrabass tone.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

That's awesome that you could fix it, I'm afraid of even looking at a truss rod the wrong way.

Started to rearrange gear in the basement...

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Did somebody say "gear Shot"?

click for larger version
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by finboy
    That's awesome that you could fix it, I'm afraid of even looking at a truss rod the wrong way.
    Well, it's less scary when the instrument's probably worth less than a tank of gas to begin with.

That's a good-looking vintage amp, mid-60s?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

64 transition fender princeton, one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard, it growls at reasonable volume levels. I will be getting some more gear pics soon, I am finally getting everything over to the new place and really need to get some pics for insurance purposes.

Page 112 of 119 FirstFirst ... 102 111 112 113 ... LastLast