Quantcast
Housebreaking a Puppy Help? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Housebreaking a Puppy Help?

My Ride
    03EP3, 97 Laredo, Soon GEE TERTY FIVE

If the dog poos on your carpet simply rub its nose in it and boot er outside, she'll learn in no time you're the boss!

+1 for crate training.

Do a google on crate training. More info than you could imagine.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by DepTrotter
    If the dog poos on your carpet simply rub its nose in it and boot er outside, she'll learn in no time you're the boss!
    If you're going to take this approach, you'd better catch them in the act of pooing. If you're 5 minutes late, you'd have better luck rubbing your own nose in it. Otherwise your puppy is going to wonder why completely out of the blue, this mean person came along, got mad, and started forcing poo on its nose.

You could also try the rolled up newspaper method.. when your dog pees on the carpet, you roll it up, and start smacking yourself in the forehead while repeating "I should've been watching my dog.. *whap* I should've been watching my dog *whap*"

If you really want good advice, and not just folklore from trial and error, buy "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the monks of new Skete. It's a great guide.

Oh, and it's NEVER too early for puppy classes. "Sit Happens" is a great place in the NE that has excellent classes. They focus on teaching you how to teach your dog, and then on teaching your dog.

http://www.sithappens.org/
    http://www.newsketemonks.com/dogs.htm
    Last edited by codetrap; 07-11-2007 at 01:30 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

thanks guys! so far she doesnt pee inside anymore and she actually starts barking when she needs to go pee outside. but pooping is a different story..still figuring that out...

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by codetrap
    Oh, and it's NEVER too early for puppy classes. "Sit Happens" is a great place in the NE that has excellent classes. They focus on teaching you how to teach your dog, and then on teaching your dog.
    Umm.. So you think he's gonna come to Calgary from Socal to train his dog? Anyway, I checked out sit happens and not even having seen the class, I don't recommend it. It sounds to me like they are teaching the dogs tricks. This is reward based training. Dogs don't reward other dogs when they sit or stay ("here, have my bone because you were so good today"). Trust and bonding is NOT created with rewards (like "good dog", have a treat, etc...). Trust and bonding is established when you are established as the clear pack leader.

If you want really good, practical training (i.e. training the owner, not the dog, as you mentioned), try www.clevercanines.ca. We are finishing up (on our 9th week now), and the difference in our Airedale is like night and day. By week 6, my Airedale that used to pull hard on the leash, was walking off leash by my side. She's exactly 1 year old. Anyone that knows Airedales will know this is NOT an easy feat.

With this class, sitting, come, heal, etc... none of that is rewarded. They get a slight rub on the tummy if they sit for 5 minutes in the exact spot we left them, without standing up or laying down, and after we've backed up 20+ ft away from them.

Another thing with Sit Happens is that training takes place in the exact same indoor environment. This is ok, but the problem is that your dog gets used to it, and there's a chance they will only obey in that kind of environment. At Clever Canines, all courses are held outdoors, at different locations almost everytime (we were at Eau Claire last night, before that was hiking at Lac des Arcs, and before that was Nosehill, etc...).

Highly recommended for all dog owners, even if your dog is older. There's always room for improvement.

Zephyr, with pooping, you need to learn to watch for signs and catch her BEFORE the act. You'll see her sniffing the ground, going in big or small circles, and possibly squatting (not too late if poop hasn't come out yet!). Or you'll possibly see her dilating her asshole (I am NOT kidding).

If pooping is a problem (i.e. she wanders off somewhere out of sight and drops a package), it's likely she has TOO MUCH FREEDOM. Confine her to the kitchen, or get a portable cage and set it wherever you are so you can keep an eye on her. Again, house training is tough work, but puppies learn fast as long as you're consistent and on the ball EVERYTIME. If you're not, then you can be house training for the rest of your life.

If she has an accident, it's pointless unless either you catch her in the act or within 5 seconds. NOT 5 minutes. Just clean it up (Spot Shot works really well) and go on with your day. Remember, DO NOT SCOLD if she poops in the house. Just make a sharp noise so she stops, and take her outside to her spot. It also helps to leave some old poop behind in her spot, so that she can smell it next time and will trigger her to go. If you scold her while she poops, she'll just learn to be afraid to poop in front of you. Think in dog brain, not human brain.

The other thing too: puppies poop every 2-4 hours. If she hasn't pooped all day, you better take her outside and poop her. If she doesn't poop, kennel her. Try again in 15 minutes, and keep trying until she poops.
    Last edited by clem24; 07-11-2007 at 03:21 PM.

My Ride
    Sentra

actually, you should not say "NO". you should say OUTSIDE.

no means bad, they will associate potty with something bad and try to hide it from you and go in obscure places. you need to tell them outside and use the word outside when you take her outside.

+1 for crate training, just remember, her crate is her safe place, you cannot give her shit if she runs in there.

My Ride

Clem,

I missed the S. Calif location. oops

We went through the Sit Happens program, and we haven't had any issues with our mutt at all. I suspect they're just different approaches to the same goal. Treats are used to an extent, but they're not the be all end all, and a clear pack hierarchy is developed.

All in all, I learned a ton, and we get a lot of compliments on how well trained Gracie is.. she even aborted chasing a rabbit on a whistle return. (I was so proud!)

As to the single environment, I don't honestly think that's an issue, because you're supposed to constant work with your dog throughout the week everywhere you take it. So training takes place everywhere.

It's all good though. I bet they both have good track records.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride

so far the housebreaking is going decent..she actually pooed outside for once!

oh yea and right now...so i use the crate for basically sleeping and when the house is empty...but at night since tonight is day 2 with her i keep her with me in my room so she doesn't feel abandoned..but shes barking up a storm, last night she kept at it till 3:30 and i ignored her but wow that was a hard nights sleep...and right now shes sorta doing it, not as bad, mainly because i've been shushing her ...is this normal? she needs to get use to it hopefullly???

Originally posted by turbotrip

after the first night when i woke up i found shit all over the house lol
    I remember that! that was one hell of a party!!! ....

......errrr wait....

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by Zephyr
    so far the housebreaking is going decent..she actually pooed outside for once!

oh yea and right now...so i use the crate for basically sleeping and when the house is empty...but at night since tonight is day 2 with her i keep her with me in my room so she doesn't feel abandoned..but shes barking up a storm, last night she kept at it till 3:30 and i ignored her but wow that was a hard nights sleep...and right now shes sorta doing it, not as bad, mainly because i've been shushing her ...is this normal? she needs to get use to it hopefullly???

Just keep the dog in the crate at night and in the bedroom. spend a few minuntes with the dog in the crate so it quites down and it should not bark.

It is natural to shush, tell it to shut up but even that is reenforcing a bahaviour that you dont want to continue, try and block it out.

My dog is 4 year old and is still in his kennel when i am not home, He loves it and it gives me piece of mind. If done right it can be a very positive thing for them. My dog will got to his kennel and sleep etc... even when i am home

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

If you got the dog from a breeder that is close you should try and go back and take a blanket/bed/to and rub it on the parents to pick up the sent and put that in their bed/kennel at night ...it helps.

My Ride
    Lease

Are these the type of dogs that bark with a really high, annoying pitch voice?

My Ride

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    yep! but for some odd reason mine doesnt bark too much, only at small animals...she doesnt bark at noises or people..weird...

My Ride
    12 TL

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    that's like the same as Chihuahuas.. except pomeranians look way better

My Ride
    12 TL

Originally posted by Zephyr

yep! but for some odd reason mine doesnt bark too much, only at small animals...she doesnt bark at noises or people..weird...
    Damn, a friends pomeranian NEVER shuts up. you found a good one? lol..

Edit: wth, double post ..

My Ride

Originally posted by BoS_DC2

Damn, a friends pomeranian NEVER shuts up. you found a good one? lol..

Edit: wth, double post ..
    yea when i first saw her i didnt know she was a pom cuz the short hair. once i knew i was like "shit, shes gonna be a barking furball" then i played with her and she doesnt bark..so weird... my friend's sister has one and it's crazy with the barking...

Originally posted by HyperZell

Yes, I'm going to have to get me one of those new cats that don't shit. Where are they selling them? Probably the same place you're getting the rest of your post from - Fuckmeimstupidland. I'll take a look later today.
    I never said cats don't shit, I'm just saying I'm not stupid enough to take care of some disgusting animal that requires me to clean up its shit and piss at least twice a day...not to mention wiping off all the fukin slober dogs leave on you when they lick you all over.....a litter box only needs to be cleaned out once every 1-1.5 weeks

dogs are meant to be eaten.

My Ride

Originally posted by jay42w8

I never said cats don't shit, I'm just saying I'm not stupid enough to take care of some disgusting animal that requires me to clean up its shit and piss at least twice a day...not to mention wiping off all the fukin slober dogs leave on you when they lick you all over.....a litter box only needs to be cleaned out once every 1-1.5 weeks

dogs are meant to be eaten.
    Hmm.. empty the litter box once a week, or pick up the dog poo in the back yard once a week...

fukin slobber? spelling>you

Try to eat my dog and make soylent green outta you. Go back to fuckmeimstupidland.

mmmmm....codetrap's dog ....

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-30-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast