Quantcast
Attention: Accounting Graduates - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Attention: Accounting Graduates

My Ride
    NC1

Default Attention: Accounting Graduates

How do you like your careers? How's the pay? Where did you guys go to school?

And can you please explain to me the difference between the Bachelor of Accounting Science degree (BAccS) and Bachelor of Commerce Accounting degree (BComm) from the University of Calgary?

Thanks
    Last edited by max_boost; 07-26-2002 at 12:38 AM.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    E90 335i

I'm not an accounting grad, but the BAccS is strictly accounting, if you like debits,credits, taxation, go there. But if you want something a little more rounded then BComm, you'll get some exposure to all areas, finance, marketing, HR etc. Oh and by the way, pay for an articling CA student sucks shit, it's a "long term" thing so don't expect too much right out of school.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Since I have a BComm with an accounting major, i can help... You need the BComm to become a CA. My cousin is articling right now for KPMG and he makes about 35k a year so not a bad start but if you want to make accounting as your career i recommand the CA route.

I myself was bored silly in a couple of years with accounting and switched to IT. But it can be a good career that you can make tons of $$$$ if you do the right things!!

Accounting is gonna get really big now, after all the companies going under from shady accounting practices and new laws and rules being put in place. Now is a good time to be an accountant.
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by redline
    Since I have a BComm with an accounting major, i can help... You need the BComm to become a CA. My cousin is articling right now for KPMG and he makes about 35k a year so not a bad start but if you want to make accounting as your career i recommand the CA route.

I myself was bored silly in a couple of years with accounting and switched to IT. But it can be a good career that you can make tons of $$$$ if you do the right things!!
    I'm going to SAIT to do Business Administration and probably major in Accounting.

After that I have a few options

1. Stay at SAIT and work towards their Bachelor of Accounting and Information Technology degree

2. Transfer to U of L and do any BComm degree

3. Transfer to U of C and do Bachelor of Accounting Science

4. Work and get experience in the field
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    E90 335i

You can still do a CMA or CGA without a BComm (or degree for that matter I think) which are not bad. CMA's are pretty popular in the oil and gas industry.

you should go into education like myself and ludelvr!
    Originally posted by ashee
    What's 30 grand when you're buying a BMW, M6 please.

Originally posted by t-im

You sound like the type of guy who would buy a C-Class just so you could tell people you have a Benz.
    Oooh the irony.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by B17a
    You can still do a CMA or CGA without a BComm (or degree for that matter I think) which are not bad. CMA's are pretty popular in the oil and gas industry.
    CMA now require a degree and a CGA is a waste of time.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Max if you really want to do accounting as career go to U of C and get in the BComm program. It will give you the most options and career choices later on in life.

I can't help you out on the Accounting science thingy, have no idea what it is.

Accounting starts off in the 34K-39K range but gets higher.
    Finance/HR/etc. all start higher, but things like HR don't have the growth potential.

I was going to try and article for CA, but my grades were not up in the 3.5's and Sept 11th made all the firms cut their hiring big-time (75%?) in January 2002. Me, Mr. B grade competing with straight A students, yeah right, I'm SOL. Even some firms were calling oil companies for work for some of their students.

I was talking to some KPMG staff who were doing their audit of our company, one guy was unhappy, another girl was happy, it all depends. Expect to work 16-hour work-days for 3 years, accounting becomes your life. If you were to plot salary on a graph, CA's start low initially and shoot up high at a high rate(slope), while CMA/CGA start a bit higher and go up at a lessor rate. A CA is a very good marketing tool for a career, so many opportunities, and companies out there grab them up.

I think the pamphlet propoganda is that the average salary is over 100K, 5 years after getting their CA designation. I guess you have to be willing to pay the price for it.

I find accounting very boring, you just go through the motions. That's what it's like, every month, month after month accounting is the same thing over and over.
    I'm thinking about switching careers, but that's me, there's lots of accountants who are happy with what they do.

Be sure to check out AIESEC career day every year at the U of C Jack Simpson Gym (around Sept/Oct?), they have all the CA firms, CMA, CGA, Oil Companies, Calgary Police, etc.
    It's very helpful and you can meet some people there too! (plus pick up nice trinkets, like SMED Frisbees, plush Husky dogs, Ernst and Young globes, etc)
    "All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage." - Peter Parker, Earth X

My Ride
    E90 335i

If all else fails you can join the Paper Shredding Division at Andersen (now Deloitte)!!!!

Originally posted by RSeXy
    You're in education cuz you like children, ludelvr is in education cuz he likes children...

Originally posted by RSeXy
    Your kidding!! Ludelvr is going into education?? Wouldn't he scare the children?
    Damn +44411's