Quantcast
Obtaining RRSP money.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Obtaining RRSP money..

My Ride
    14' 435i

Default Obtaining RRSP money..

My g/f is leaving her job to go back to school and had an RRSP setup through work and they matched what she put in.

needless to say when she leaves, the RRSP will be like 2200.00, right off the top they take 10% to cover taxes, but that be enough so she will have to pay taxes at the end of the year, how much would she have to get taken off to sort of even out her taxes???

you might not be able to help cuz u dont know her salary or anythign but im thinking if they take the 10% and then another 15% she should be ok right??

Why take it out? Can't you just transfer the funds to another RRSP account and not pay any taxes at all? Assuming that you don't need the money of course.

She shouldn't need to cash out the RRSP and take a hit... transfer it to another RRSP.
    ---

My Ride
    14' 435i

she was planning on using the money for tuition...

plus its through work, you cant add money onto it can you??

so she could transfer it another RRSP??
    Last edited by GOnSHO; 07-11-2007 at 10:51 AM.

My Ride
    a plane

your going to get hit pretty harsh with the taxes at the end of the year ...
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

http://www.taxtips.ca/abtax.htm

At the bottom of the page, it's got a chart of the current tax brackets (provincial and federal).

Basically, if she's made less than $37,000 this year, there's no (additional) federal taxes. Provincial taxes depend on whether she made more than $8000 or $15,000.

My Ride
    14' 435i

even if its been accumlatiing over 2 different years... (about 8 months total will be on it) and she took 25% off it???

My Ride
    14' 435i

she will make in teh 8 months about 18000... after taxes

My Ride
    G05

She would be taxed 10% upfront and she might have to pay more taxes if her tax bracket is higher. (most people are higher).

But as mentioned before try looking at transfering to another RSP account to keep it tax sheltered OR try this link (below)... it gives you the info / stipulations for the LLP (Life long learning) if she is using it for school - most people are unaware of this program; which she can take it all tax free for now....

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individ...lp/menu-e.html

My Ride
    14' 435i

shes in teh 37000 and under bracket...

My Ride
    E90

I think she can withdraw the money tax free to pay for school. There is a program kinda like the home buyers plan but for school.
    Or she could transfer tax free to another rrsp.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Don't you just get taxed as you would on any income (ie: your job).

At the end of the year your income would then be your salary + RRSP. And you get taxed accordinly.

My Ride
    14' 435i

still under 37178 or w/e it is...

My Ride
    14' 435i

from what i ve seen on the 1250 she makes for 2 weeks, she gets taxed about 27%.....

I am pretty sure (as stated before) that if she is using it for tution then she will get a tax break. If not then 88crx is right.

My Ride
    V8 Toy

In order to withdraw an RRSP, you'll of course need to sign a RRSP Deregistration Form.

There are several things you can do,

1. Deregister the money, provided it's not locked in. For taxation purposes,

Amounts of: 0-5,000.00 10%
    5,000.01-15,000.00 20%
    15,000.01 & Over 30%

2. If it's for learning and tuition purposes, your g/f can withdraw that money under the Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP) and repay it over the next 10 years. Amount is not taxed if you repay it every year.

3. Transfer the entire account over to another RRSP account so that it's easier to manage. no taxation consequence

4. Leave the RRSP account there. no taxation consequence
    Last edited by Rav4Guy; 07-11-2007 at 12:47 PM.
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

My Ride
    14' 435i

So about how much taxes would she have to pay on the 2200 jus to take the money out??? about 40%?

My Ride
    firebird

10% is automatically remitted to the government, so $220. You will likely get it all back though during tax time due to her low income level....she should just transfer it to another account or use it for the LLP as mentioned above to avoid tax consequences or find a way to leave it in their so it just grows. She will be transfering the institution that holds the fund, not selling the fund itself.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Originally posted by GOnSHO
    So about how much taxes would she have to pay on the 2200 jus to take the money out??? about 40%?
    I think you're talking about bank charges .... which depend on the bank. Like we've stated above, if you're talking taxes, it depends on the tax bracket and the amount she gets out of the RSP.

For example, in the late 90s I'd put $1000 into a RSP, and the next year I decided to go back to school, and needed the money for tuition. Well, I actually got back about $950 because the bank penalized me for taking it out early. So then what the gov't does is add that $950 to your income for that year (which was only about 6-months worth for me), and so I paid my regular taxes on my yearly income + $950.

People can't tell you "oh, expect to pay XX dollars or XX percent". You'll pay a penalty to the bank for early withdrawal, and then the rest gets added to the yearly income, and normal taxes paid on that.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by GOnSHO
    shes in teh 37000 and under bracket...
    It's only $2200 not $22000, I assume the tuition alone should provide enough tax credit to write it off.

Tuition and some living allowance are tax deductible. So even if you pay a bit now, once you file for next year, you'll get all the $$ back.

Don't sweat it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast