Quantcast
2007 Infinit G35 AWD vs G35 sport - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Infinit G35 AWD vs G35 sport

My Ride
    a tank

Default 2007 Infinit G35 AWD vs G35 sport

Anyone here can tell me a good reason why I should pick one or the other?

Ive been looking at the following cars, 335i, IS350, G35, TL typeS

Dont get me wrong, I would be excited to own any one of them.

However,

each one really is by themselves as far as model choices,

except the G35 RWD or AWD.

Now this is for my family with a baby. And as much as I love shifting, I have to settle for automatic, so for get about the G35 sport M6.

so far this is kind of my quick points of view.

If you were to load up on similar options between the two, you really are looking at around the same price range ie, 47k AWD vs 48k of the sport

the all wheel drive is great for winter, safty and such but come on, it does not come with the paddleshift unless I get the sport, along with like sport seats and 18" rims too. I've driven AWD and FWD most of my life, so I cannot comment if rear wheel drive is worth it? infinit is no BMW, I wonder if their traction control for its RWD model can live up to the task during winter time. another downfall is AWD cars are heavier and will use more gas. And Nissan isnt known for their fuel efficenicies when it comes to getting what they advertise.

oh and I bet the AWD version will be slower acceleration too no? I wonder if my wife (new driver) can handle the 300 hp RWD.

Did I miss anything? any other factors I have to consider? other than the fact that both have 300 hp, same color combo.

hmmm
    Last edited by SilverRex; 07-12-2007 at 01:14 PM.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    Bicycle

We may get away without winter tires on AWD but you need a good set of winters for RWD for sure.

Here's how I see it:

335i - Definitely the best car you listed, and the fastest, however the most expensive. It also has an amazing automatic transmission with very responsive paddles for when the kid isn't in the car with you. It rev-matches downshifts too. The magazines all pick this car. It will also likely be the most pleasing to drvive in the city as it has torque absolutely everywhere.

IS 350 - In my opinion a little over priced, however it's a Lexus so you will enjoy excellent reliability and resale. Pretty fun car as well, but I personally would choose something else. A loaded Is 350 is over $60k.

G35 - Definitely the best "bang for the buck" and I believe the largest car of your choices which may appeal to you. It has a pretty good auto tranny as well which will rev-match the downshifts. I'm not sure if they have paddles or not, I can't remember.

Acura TL - This car desperately needs AWD or RWD. It is by far the least fun of your choices, but again, being an Acura you will enjoy excellent refinement, build quality and resale. This would be my last choice until acura puts their SH-AWD on the TL.

As for the other comments, I highly doubt you would even notice the acceleration differences between AWD and RWD, especially by the seat of your pants. I had an opportunity to drive the G35 RWD in a snowy/icy open parking lot and I could not get that car t spin out whatsoever. Their traction/stability control is top notch, same with BMW and the rest of the cars in this category. That said, AWD is only a couple thousand more and I would probably go for the AWD just because.

You absolutely cannot go wrong as you have chosen some awesome cars to look at, but I would definitly take the 335i if you can afford it, if not, I'd go for the G35 and save 20 grand. A loaded 335i is approaching 70k, but you can save probably $10,000 by forefitting some options nobody really needs.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-12-2007 at 01:43 PM.

My Ride
    a tank

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Here's how I see it:

335i - Definitely the best car you listed, and the fastest, however the most expensive. It also has an amazing automatic transmission with very responsive paddles for when the kid isn't in the car with you. It rev-matches downshifts too. The magazines all pick this car. It will also likely be the most pleasing to drvive in the city as it has torque absolutely everywhere.

IS 350 - In my opinion a little over priced, however it's a Lexus so you will enjoy excellent reliability and resale. Pretty fun car as well, but I personally would choose something else.

G35 - Definitely the best "bang for the buck" and I believe the largest car of your choices which may appeal to you. It has a pretty good auto tranny as well which will rev-match the downshifts. I'm not sure if they have paddles or not, I can't remember.

Acura TL - This car desperately needs AWD or RWD. It is by far the least fun of your choices, but again, being an Acura you will enjoy excellent refinement, build quality and resale. This would be my last choice until acura puts their SH-AWD on the TL.

As for the other comments, I highly doubt you would even notice the acceleration differences between AWD and RWD, especially by the seat of your pants. I had an opportunity to drive the G35 RWD in a snowy/icy open parking lot and I could not get that car t spin out whatsoever. Their traction/stability control is top notch, same with BMW and the rest of the cars in this category. That said, AWD is only a couple thousand more and I would probably go for the AWD just because.

You absolutely cannot go wrong as you have chosen some awesome cars to look at, but I would definitly take the 335i if you can afford it, if not, I'd go for the G35 and save 20 grand. A loaded 335i is approaching 70k, but you can save probably $10,000 by forefitting some options nobody really needs.
    thats pretty much in line of how I look at all of them. however isnt it true that BMW might be suffering a reliability issue here and I keep hearing the BMW service in calgary is really bad along with 2 month wait time. If thats true, for the price you pay, thats..ouch

the Is350 is really luxury only. I doubt you can have any fun in it since it will disconnect you from the car, its soo smooth and quiet, whats the point of 300hp if you cant even hear the engine.

The G35 is by far cheapest, easily obtained, stock availability wise, and probablly can get away with a sweet deal too. But as your saying if the RWD now days are good in winter, then AWD is kinda of waste of money, its more there for peace of mind or if your trying to climb a steep hill or stuck in snow. sadly it doesnt even have paddle shift on the AWD model.

the TL Type S, I love the interrior the most here, and it may be the slowest, but hell, it is still fast enough. I seldom hit the tracks and I dont race people off street lights, so this would be ideal as well. But man the SHAWD is a year and half away. Talk about bad timing for me.

hmmm unless BMW/Lexus can offer me an insane deal (which I doubt it) then G35 Sport S it is,

or if the current Acura TL gives me a unrefusable deal, since they have trouble selling it, having it hit similar price range as the TypeS if you add navi, so now they have the no charge navi. ifI can get that along with full ground effects, type-S spoiler and shave another 1-2k off. that would be a steal, regardless its AWD/RWD hack, white on white baby. it is still an awsome upgrade over my puny tsx
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

With RWD I would suggest some winter tires still. AWD is definitely better, but you can for sure get away with RWD in the winter. My dad's 540i is rear wheel drive and is very easy to drive even on the worst of winter days with all seasons. Traction/stability control works great.

Just driving normally you won't even notice the difference really between RWD/FWD/AWD, but you may if you decide to take the odd on/off ramp a little spiritedly or something like that.

I don't think you'll get a screaming deal on the BMW but you should at least go out one saturday and test drive all your choices. Maybe have your wife drive them all too if she's going to be sharing the car. Like I said, you can't go wrong. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you choose.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by SilverRex

thats pretty much in line of how I look at all of them. however isnt it true that BMW might be suffering a reliability issue here and I keep hearing the BMW service in calgary is really bad along with 2 month wait time. If thats true, for the price you pay, thats..ouch

the Is350 is really luxury only. I doubt you can have any fun in it since it will disconnect you from the car, its soo smooth and quiet, whats the point of 300hp if you cant even hear the engine.

The G35 is by far cheapest, easily obtained, stock availability wise, and probablly can get away with a sweet deal too. But as your saying if the RWD now days are good in winter, then AWD is kinda of waste of money, its more there for peace of mind or if your trying to climb a steep hill or stuck in snow. sadly it doesnt even have paddle shift on the AWD model.

the TL Type S, I love the interrior the most here, and it may be the slowest, but hell, it is still fast enough. I seldom hit the tracks and I dont race people off street lights, so this would be ideal as well. But man the SHAWD is a year and half away. Talk about bad timing for me.

hmmm unless BMW/Lexus can offer me an insane deal (which I doubt it) then G35 Sport S it is,

or if the current Acura TL gives me a unrefusable deal, since they have trouble selling it, having it hit similar price range as the TypeS if you add navi, so now they have the no charge navi. ifI can get that along with full ground effects, type-S spoiler and shave another 1-2k off. that would be a steal, regardless its AWD/RWD hack, white on white baby. it is still an awsome upgrade over my puny tsx
    When I phoned to get a service appt. they said they could get the car in 2 weeks from the time I called. I wanted to go on Saturday so it's a month long wait instead. I don't think that's so bad. When I had my Subaru the wait times were just as long for oil changes.

Out of those 4 cars I would look at the G35 and the BMW 335. TL and IS do nothing for me
    Last edited by Aleks; 07-12-2007 at 04:27 PM.

My Ride
    a tank

yeah I was told can get a deal off the 335i sedan for being a social club memeber.

Well, its encouraging to know that RWD these days are a much better car than they do before.

hmm I wonder if the G35 comes with summer or performence all-season.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

A big reason BMW's service is so bad right now is because of their tiny service department. When they move in beside Lexus, they will have a huge service department that should hopefully remedy the problem.

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

There's no way I'd let my wife drive a 300 hp RWD car with my kid in it.

My Ride
    w163

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    A big reason BMW's service is so bad right now is because of their tiny service department. When they move in beside Lexus, they will have a huge service department that should hopefully remedy the problem.
    That's what they keep saying. Hopefully they will have enough techs to make use of all the extra space, its ridiculous right now.

I'll vouch for Nissan TCS, never had a problem in the 350Z.

My Ride
    BMW E70

I looked at similar vehicles before I bought my G35x. I only bought the G35 because the size was more so what I needed for hauling people around. The IS250 AWD was too under-powered and the 3 series was too small. I didn't even consider Acura.

I went in only looking for an AWD vehicle, so any of the RWD competitors weren't even on my radar screen. I like my G35x sedan, its comfortable enough and fairly fun to drive for an automatic. I don't think there is all that much of a difference in acceleration between the RWD sport and AWD. It still has the "sport mode" and "sport shift" transmission but I don't like using it, just doesn't do anything for me.

Would I buy it again? Probably. As I mentioned before, I needed a decent sized vehicle with AWD. The G35x fit the bill well enough for me without having to drop $85K+ for an E-class, 5-series or a GS. Fully loaded (premium, navi and tech packages) I paid just over $55,000 for the G35x.

AWD FTW WICKED LAUNCHES
    2001 celica pro mod project, in progress
    87 fox hatch,[email protected] skating, stock 5.0 shortblock,91 co-op pump gas, 11 lbs boost

My Ride
    a tank

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
    I looked at similar vehicles before I bought my G35x. I only bought the G35 because the size was more so what I needed for hauling people around. The IS250 AWD was too under-powered and the 3 series was too small. I didn't even consider Acura.

I went in only looking for an AWD vehicle, so any of the RWD competitors weren't even on my radar screen. I like my G35x sedan, its comfortable enough and fairly fun to drive for an automatic. I don't think there is all that much of a difference in acceleration between the RWD sport and AWD. It still has the "sport mode" and "sport shift" transmission but I don't like using it, just doesn't do anything for me.

Would I buy it again? Probably. As I mentioned before, I needed a decent sized vehicle with AWD. The G35x fit the bill well enough for me without having to drop $85K+ for an E-class, 5-series or a GS. Fully loaded (premium, navi and tech packages) I paid just over $55,000 for the G35x.
    so speaking from your exp, what is the gas milage like? are you getting better or worse than advertsie
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I have a 07 G35S A5 it is great in the winter w/ winter tires. No problem what so ever getting around. I drove it every day through out the winter this year with no worries.

I would buy the sport over the AWD any day. the Sport looks better, has a LSD, better seats and the paddles, staggered wheels, bigger brakes etc...

But for 08 you can get a g35s AWD... something to think about, you get the looks but not the the sport options, all seasons, and the small brakes.

the 07 sport has summer only tires stock

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

My Ride
    Skateboard

Your wife must be one shitty driver for you to be worried.

Originally posted by Mangina
    There's no way I'd let my wife drive a 300 hp RWD car with my kid in it.

My Ride
    BMW E70

Originally posted by SilverRex

so speaking from your exp, what is the gas milage like? are you getting better or worse than advertsie
    Gas mileage is about what is advertised. I have had the car almost 2.5 months now and have just about 11,000kms on it.

I think for the 2007's all of the models are similar looking. The Sports have a nicer front end and side skirts. What it really comes down to is what you are looking for, RWD vs. AWD... Gas mileage is slightly worse for the AWD, which would be expected.

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

Originally posted by G
    Your wife must be one shitty driver for you to be worried.

Of course, she's a woman.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Had a 03 G35 then traded it in for a 330ci now I have a 335 sedan... what a difference with fit and finish and the handleling between the G and 3 series it is like night and day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast