Quantcast
A/C recharge - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A/C recharge

My Ride
    10 psi of potato pressure

Default A/C recharge

Did a search, but none of the threads came up with any shop names, just products to do it yourself (redtek/duracool).

Looking for a place to properly recharge my ac system. I read that it needs to be evacuated (vacuum/moisture out of lines) and the exact amount of refrigerant put back in to work properly (ie 3lbs 5 ounces).

System is R134a. Just looking for a cheap recommended shop, preferrably in the NE.

My Ride
    2001 BMW M3 Convertible

autotemp air&sound??

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

i want to know this too. i need my system vacuumed out.

how can you check how much is left? Before it does run out.
    Sometimes you have to take a chance, whether that be on someone, or something!

I believe you need a set of gauges to messure the pressure in the AC System. Each car maybe different but I think something like 1.5lbs of pressure is normal and pressure less then 1 is getting low.

Not sure if he is still there but MyTire had a guy that comes in and does recharges for a pretty good price

Edit Found the old thread

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/179807/ac-recharge/
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    Did Calgary have a riot in 2004?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Just boobs. That's how we party.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

1.5lbs of pressure?.... not even close
    Typically you are looking for a low side pressure between 30 and 50psi depending on ambient temp. You can check the low and high side pressures to get an idea of the state of charge in the system, and the condition of the other A/C components, but you either need a set of gauges or need to know somebody with them, and every time you check it a small amount of refrigerant is lost.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by Zero102
    Typically you are looking for a low side pressure between 30 and 50psi depending on ambient temp. You can check the low and high side pressures to get an idea of the state of charge in the system, and the condition of the other A/C components, but you either need a set of gauges or need to know somebody with them, and every time you check it a small amount of refrigerant is lost.
    that's nice to know what where would do you go to get all that stuff done?

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I had a shop on 32nd ave beside allmakes (mastertune?) do my 944, and they used RedTek which IMO is the best R12 substitute out there, but honestly the guys there were nothing short of complete dicks, and they were borderline incompetent when working on my car. I would never return.

I honestly don't know anywhere that would be good to go in Calgary. Sorry.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride

Does anyone have any exp with autotemp?

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

i called canadian tire today. they charge about $100 for inspection and $150 to fill it. so about $250.

Originally posted by Zero102
    My apologies I was quoting what the machine was saying. Normal is 25-40psi on the low side and 225-250 psi or so for the high side with a normal gauge.

The auto recharge machine that the guy was using needed to go up to 1.5 to indicate a full charge. Amount of refrigerant for a BMW maybe.

When I was looking though the guy through Mytires was the best price I found. I believe it was $130 or so.

My Ride

Well I called a few places from the yellow pages today and depending on amount of fluid needed it was ~120-150 just for refill. That did not include cost to inspect the system for leaks. That was another 50-70.

Autotemp a/s was 50 to inspect the system, but if you had any work done by them within 30 days they will credit your money back (or if you get is inspected/filled by them they dont charge for inspection). They charge 160 for fill.

I believe I have a leak that needs to be looked at, as I have a filmy splatter along the bottom of my windshield (where the defrost vents are), so I'm guessing that the fluid along my windhield is a/c fluid...

BUMP rather than starting a new thread.

AC blows cold but it takes a while, so guessing I am in need of a recharge soon. Even after it blows cold, it isn't freezing like in my RX, so looking for a shop to do this.

Any suggestions should I just go to the dealership and have it done?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    BUMP rather than starting a new thread.

AC blows cold but it takes a while, so guessing I am in need of a recharge soon. Even after it blows cold, it isn't freezing like in my RX, so looking for a shop to do this.

Any suggestions should I just go to the dealership and have it done?

Thanks.
    Lack of cool could be due to a few things like a faulty TXV Valve (a type of thermostat) or low charge, if it starts off cold, then it gets warm then it could be due to contaminates in the system or a clogged condenser.

Reading back through on this thread , the term A/C recharge is about the most miss used automotive term out there, along with 'Exhaust Back pressure'
    A properly functioning A/C will never have to be recharged, its a sealed system and the refrigerant does not loose its cooling efficiency over time, it is not a battery, or like engine oil, it works more like engine coolant, transferring heat from one place to another with some pixie magic inbetween.

If your A/C systems starts to under perform, its due to a leak, or a mechanical component fault, and it needs to be inspected before you 'Charge' (if even needed)it with new refrigerant
    Shops that offer a A/C recharge with no questions asked, are doing nothing more than taking your money.

My advice is to take it to the dealership, as there are too many private shops that buy a/c machines and become HVAC service centers overnight... that's not how that works.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 06-26-2017 at 02:12 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Im AC stopped working on my 2002 Honda three years ago.. The milage is so high..Im just too scared to get it working again in case the damn thing blows up...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaTuner View Post
    Lack of cool could be due to a few things like a faulty TXV Valve (a type of thermostat) or low charge, if it starts off cold, then it gets warm then it could be due to contaminates in the system or a clogged condenser.

Read back on this thread through, the term A/C recharge is about the most miss used automotive term out there, along with 'Exhaust Back pressure'
    A properly functioning A/C will never have to be recharged, its a sealed system and the refrigerant does not loose its cooling efficiency over time, it is not a battery, or like engine oil.

If your A/C systems starts to under perform, its due to a leak, or a mechanical component fault, and it needs to be inspected before you 'Charge' it with new refrigerant
    Shops that offer a A/C recharge with no questions asked, are doing nothing more than taking your money.

My advice is to take it to the dealership, as there are too many private shops that buy a/c machines and become HVAC service centers overnight... that's not how that works.
    Girlfriends Nissan Sentra seems to blow the compressor coil every couple of years :\ No idea why but its a cheap fix but a giant pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaTuner View Post

Reading back through on this thread , the term A/C recharge is about the most miss used automotive term out there, along with 'Exhaust Back pressure'
    A properly functioning A/C will never have to be recharged, its a sealed system and the refrigerant does not loose its cooling efficiency over time, it is not a battery, or like engine oil, it works more like engine coolant, transferring heat from one place to another with some pixie magic inbetween.

If your A/C systems starts to under perform, its due to a leak, or a mechanical component fault, and it needs to be inspected before you 'Charge' (if even needed)it with new refrigerant

Thanks for this info RDT, much appreciated.

Mine takes a while to blow cold but it does eventually get there, but i'll have it checked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Girlfriends Nissan Sentra seems to blow the compressor coil every couple of years :\ No idea why but its a cheap fix but a giant pain in the ass.
    Thats Kinda an odd one, because its just a big electromagnet. Could be a bad bearing on one of the pullys of the ACC belt system, or vibration from the a/c compressor itself causing the winding to vibrate and short out. Other than that it may be the charging system running a higher than normal voltage. I have also noticed on some vehicle that there is a Dissipating diode in the A/c clutch circuit to prevent voltage spike from the coil collapsing when its commanded off.
    But sometimes its just manufactures being cheap and not adding enough windings to the coil to save money, which in the end causes too much current through the circuit

My Ride
    Z

So what if you vented the R12 when swapping engines? Can someone recharge a replacement? And who is that someone?
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride

R12 is best left in the past, you can do a R134a conversion for low money, it's basically just an oil flush and new fittings.
    R12 is some ways pretty inefficient, and also causes global warming. :-)

There is a DIY kits at Canadian tire for R12, but as mentioned it's
    Very susceptible to contamination making it inefficient in anything but a lab grade clean room a/c system. Being that the CT self charge kits don't do vacuum, you are mixing the charge with other gasses, which lower the boiling temp and reduce thransfer efficiency.

If you DAGF then go pick up a kit, $60 last time
    I checked.

What ever anyone reading this decides to do, do not for the love of all things good; use a a/c sealer in a can. The moment you charge your system with that its a guaranteed full a/c system rebuild, and that's if a deligent shop will even touch it.
    A/C sealing kits are like herpes, one car can contaminate every car serviced by the same a/c machine that touched it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast