Quantcast
Wasp Nest - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wasp Nest

Default Wasp Nest

So, I go outside yesterday to chuck the garbage. I toss the garbage into its place - and moments later I hear an unmistakable noise. A noise I like to call "time to run." I look back to see hundreds of wasps swarming and I head indoors.

I decide I'll grab my camera and go back out. I go back out and see things have calmed down considerably. Probably a hundred wasps swarming the garbage. I don't get very close, but took a picture zoomed in to the top of the garbage. Looks like 20 or so wasps just in the frame.

Yeah, so the next is UNDER the box I built to hold the garbage. Not easy to access but I decide to brave it and attempt to spray the thing. Lots of wasps make a hasty exit and try to sting me. Bastards. So I keep spraying though and finally they stop coming out. I wait overnight.

Carefully removed the wasp nest because I read...online...that there will likely be a lot of wasps still in the nest even though it may appear like there isn't any. Well, I take the thing out - not a sign of life so I get a couple pictures of the nest. Here is one of them.

I guess you're supposed to put the nest in a cloth bag, and then into water to drown them all. I decide against the cloth bag (my mistake, oops) and just put the nest into water. Yup, there are still wasps in there, and lots of them! Looked totally dead, no activity, but once they went in the water...they started to come out (mostly drowned)

Here's a close up of the one of the sections of the main hive. I sliced it open into each of its sections. Very cool shit inside. I had no idea how many wasps could come from a relatively small nest. Hundreds of larva still in the nest, some just hatching too.

Anyhow, lots more wasps came out and I should go take some more pictures of these things. Probably still 50-75 wasps floating around in the water.

BTW, after I sprayed the nest last night, it appears that the wasps that didn't die ... or a large majority of the wasps ... ate their way out through the bottom of the nest. (The entrance was near the top) I guess that was to avoid the poison. Little bastards.

Anyhow, if you have a wasps nest and think spraying it is good enough before you take it down, think again! Be sure to drown the whole nest because there will still be tonnes of those buggers inside what appears to be a dormant nest.
    Last edited by Z_Fan; 07-18-2007 at 06:53 PM.

My Ride
    HPI Savage X w/mach 4 engine

lol so the garbage man is going to get a nice surprise when he picks up your garbage eh lol. Get the camera out when they come and take it.

My Ride
    German

You know, that last picture just reminded me of the breas... oh never mind.

^ LOL

Yeah, the Garbage man will now be thanking me. But I had already moved the garbage elsewhere in the event I was unable to remove the nest. But it's gone now, so the garbage is back where it belongs.

I wasn't gonna let the garbage man get stung.

My Ride

Originally posted by Z_Fan
    ^ LOL

Yeah, the Garbage man will now be thanking me. But I had already moved the garbage elsewhere in the event I was unable to remove the nest. But it's gone now, so the garbage is back where it belongs.

I wasn't gonna let the garbage man get stung.
    Why was there so many, wtf was in your garbage or near them to have that many.

My Ride
    GTI

That is crazy man, nice pics!

I have a nest under the eavestrough, it's not visible but I see a little crack where wasps keep crawling in and flying out, any idea how to take care of that?

My Ride
    '95 dc2, '91 XJ

Awesome pics! I actually JUST walked inside from trying to figure out how Im gonna get rid of a wasp nest in a bush in my backyard..what did you spray it with? Im thinking of soaking it in brake cleaner or something. Unfortunately its not hanging in the open like that its all tangled up in the branches.

My Ride
    SoupRYou

wow thats insane i remember once i threw rocks at a nest and i got stung in the mddle of my forehead
    sig kinda deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    broken POS

Originally posted by Hakkola
    That is crazy man, nice pics!

I have a nest under the eavestrough, it's not visible but I see a little crack where wasps keep crawling in and flying out, any idea how to take care of that?
    whoa that kinda sounds bad.. behind the eaves is like... eaten through your baton.. or your fascia could be into your roof. best way to do that is remove the trough and spray the buggers until they are dead and cover the hole or replace your fascia

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Too bad u didnt take care of the nest like the thread I posted about how to kill bees redneck style...
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

I used a spray that I think RAID makes special for these buggers. It shoots a nice stream about 4 metres if you need the distance. Anyhow, mine wasn't out in the open at all. Basically you could hardly see the thing until I took apart the wood that was used to construct the garbage holder.

Not sure why there were drawn to the garbage location. Nothing ever really sits there more than one day. I take the garbage out the night before usually. Sometimes, like this time, it was there 1 day before. But that nest has obviously been there for some time. What is strange is that I never saw any wasps there last week, yet it seems clear that nest has been there more than one week from the size of it.

Link to the redneck wasp extermination thread?

Someone should try some expanding foam all up in their hood. Just stick the long nozzle inside the opening and see what happens. Take pictures please, im interested.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

u should of used a match and brake cleaner! works great on roaches! crazy flame thrower action

My Ride

Any pyro's on the board? Anyone have any good ways to kill bees with fire, and maybe some raid?

The real question here is, did you kill the queen? I heard that the queen can escape and construct the nest all over again. Apparently, the queen is the one that does all the initial tasks to get the hive going.

We had a wasp nest in my backyard and it took a 1 week operation to get rid of them because you couldnt see the nest.
    I started off by spraying carb medic in the hole and lighting it repeatedly for the first few days just to mess with them.
    Then we went out and bought like 8 cans of the wasp Raid and one person sprayed it in the hole, and 2 others sprayed the wasps when they tried to escape. Whenever we killed one we would add it to the graveyard we were making and all the dead wasps would attract the other ones back and then we would spray those too.
    In the end we ended up with a line of like 50 wasps, it was beautiful.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by Z_Fan

Link to the redneck wasp extermination thread?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/159200/ho...redneck-style/

More fun and if you think about it, more humane way of killing them, as opposed to your inhumane drowning method by torching them, they die instantly whereas yours takes awhile
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

not too bad, last year working for the parks department i found one the size of a rugby ball in one of the water boxes, took a whole afternoon to get rid of. Be thankful it wasn't s digging wasp, they make their homes underground, meaning you have to dig the nest out and spray it. You might find that wasps keep showing up for a few days, they weren't around when you sprayed it and they can travel a long ways.

hak,
    get some raid for wasps, spray in the hole over and over, scoop up the dead wasps for the next few days
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Well, I'm guessing I killed about 100 of the buggers. About 50 last night when spraying the shit out of their hive. But, I still think the queen escaped last night after the initial RAID. The little bitch.

Like I said, it looks like they ate their way out the bottom of the nest - and I suspect it was their master escape plan. LOL. Maybe just the sick/weak/stupid stayed in the hive. Either way, I've counted 50 wasps that were still in the hive and are now floating in the water. That doesn't include all the larva - of which there appear to be hundreds that are partially hatched. It's quite cool and yet gross at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast