Quantcast
Options for back up power - other than a whole home generator - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Options for back up power - other than a whole home generator

My Ride
    V167

Default Options for back up power - other than a whole home generator

At our place when storms pass through power frequently goes out. Last power outage was 1 month ago, and we had no power from 10pm to 7am. Ideal time for most, but we have a new born at home, and it was downright cold inside. I was able to use the gas stove to warm up water/bottles etc but that was not fun.
    A few people in our area have Generac generators for back up power to run essential items in the home (fridge, furnace, lighting etc). I got a quote. Lets just say its much higher than expected. I was ready to spend 10-15k, its more than that. I'll still consider this as we are planning on staying in this house for the next 5-10 years, but would like to know about potential alternatives.

Power outage may occur a few times this winter, with typical outage lasting 3-4 hours based on previous experience. I think we are ok if we have provision for heat possible in case its really cold outside.

I have a few questions that I was hoping to get some assistance with:

1. Can a portable gas generator run a small space heater? I could run a freaking LONG extension cord upstairs to keep baby room warm. Recommend a solid portable generator if possible.
    2. Any recommendations re: an easy to use, battery power source/power block with which I can run a few small items, charge phones etc?
    3. Any particularly GREAT battery powered lanterns that would light up a room? Suggestions appreciated.

Thank you!

My Ride
    Trucks

Power outage wise, a natural gas fireplace is the best bet long term. Also a nice Honda or Yamaha inverter generator would work great to run a couple of fans and refrigerator.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

1. Can a portable gas generator run a small space heater? I could run a freaking LONG extension cord upstairs to keep baby room warm. Recommend a solid portable generator if possible.
    Space heaters don't work well with long extension cords. A lot of energy is lost through there. I'm assuming you have a natural gas furnace, so get an outdoor fitting installed (you might already have one for a BBQ) and get a natural gas generator (camping style). Better yet, get a tri-fuel one so you can also use propane or gasoline. If you're handy, you can easily figure out how to run a cord down to your furnace have it capable of being hooked up to the generator. They pull surprisingly little amount of power.

Not that I've needed it, but I have a setup where I can use our camping generator hooked up through our old hot-tub wiring to supply power to the main breaker panel. If we ever do lose power, I can flip off all the unnecessary circuits, and run the furnace, fridge, and two light circuits using my camping generator. It's totally not up to code, but in case of power outage at -25°, I don't give a fuck, and it's wired up safely so it won't cause a fire.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 12-12-2023 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Be a real car guy, F150 Lighting

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The all electric future is so exciting
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I'm assuming you have a natural gas furnace, so get an outdoor fitting installed (you might already have one for a BBQ) and get a natural gas generator (camping style). Better yet, get a tri-fuel one so you can also use propane or gasoline.
    This is the exact kind of info I was seeking. I have BBQ hook up on my deck. Will look into this option. Any particular models to look at?
    @sxtasy : thank you

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Portable genny like the Honda one above and something like this:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/30a-...t/PA0008953275

Whilst the Generac thing will kick in automatically on power-loss, this setup would be a quarter of the price and all you'd have to do is start the genny yourself

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    This is the exact kind of info I was seeking. I have BBQ hook up on my deck. Will look into this option. Any particular models to look at?
    @sxtasy : thank you
    People recommend the Champion Dual Fuel from Costco, for obvious reasons RE: warranty

Never looked into Tri-fuels though

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you have a natural gas furnace wouldn’t a small generator sized just to power the furnace electronics and fan on a short extension cord work fine?

I was assuming he needed this because NG wasn’t an option where he lives?

OP you are in BC, wood stove that shit
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Good middle of the road option is a tri fuel, natural gas generator. You can put in a 30 Amp transfer switch with genny hook up outside. Tri fuel generator to power 30 amp is around $1500 I think right now, may be less, used to get it on sale for $700 or so but no more. The transfer switch depending on model is $500-800. Then there are lots of how tos on building a generator shed to house the generator to keep it out of the elements. Put it near your gas and you electrical panel and if you're handing it's probably a $3k project. Maybe a little more now. Cheaper than the turn key options but still a chunk of change, not automatic either.

30 amps will run your furnace, fridges/freezers and enough lights etc to deal with a power outage and unless we are talking really bad you should still have natural gas to run the generator.

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

Depending on your truck, you may be able to get away with using the inverter (Furnace and fridge only)

I asked the neighbor about this while building the garage, there are several videos on youtube on how to power your furnace with a car battery, so if you have a decent inverter you may be able to run that in an emergency. Probably similar to what @Tik-Tok has

just remember, you are only powering your blower motor with electricity, so the power draw isnt huge. Your gas doesnt shut off in a power outage, you just need to backfeed your panel as long as you isolate from your main power by killing the city feed
    Last edited by GT.....O?; 12-12-2023 at 04:15 PM.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."