Quantcast
Ting and Rotti - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ting and Rotti

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Ting and Rotti

Looking for a place or places that sell Ting in cases. Also, does anyone know a place in town that serves rotti and is actually good?
    Ultracrepidarian

roti u mean?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Oops yeah, didn't realize I was spelling it wrong. I managed to track down a place today for those interested (and you should be, both are awesome). Caribbean Foods on Edmonton trail and like 1st ave NE
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

Go to the Roti Hut!! Im not sure ive never bought Roti

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Ting is awesome! I will definitely have to check out that place. I lived in Antigua for a month for field school (archaeology) and pretty much lived on Ting :P Roti is also daaaaaamned good if it's done right
    Geek

there are a couple of places around that sell roti, if u get a trinidadian place chances are you will get some pretty good roti...good food

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Ting is awesome! I will definitely have to check out that place. I lived in Antigua for a month for field school (archaeology) and pretty much lived on Ting :P Roti is also daaaaaamned good if it's done right
    I was doing the same thing! Did you stay with Reg and Nikki and have crazy Tamara as one of the profs?!
    Ultracrepidarian

come to my house i will fire some hot roti and curry up :P

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by msommers

I was doing the same thing! Did you stay with Reg and Nikki and have crazy Tamara as one of the profs?!

YEP!

Nikki is one of the most amazing cooks on the planet, is she not? She will take ANYTHING and turn it into the most amazing meal you've ever eaten If you know which house I'm talking about, I stayed in the house that was on the same mountainside as Reg n Nikki's, but at the top of a 45 degree incline road (the brown one with a hammock, HUGE deck, and awesome view of the bay )

I had roti at the Roti King in St. John's (Antigua, not Canada), and I had pretty much one of everything with a fresh squeezed papaya juice. Best restaurant I've ever been in. Four tables, open kitchen, weatherbeaten exterior, moss growing in the pavement.... perfect If you've eaten at the roti hut, msommers, you know exactly what I mean about Antigua being so utterly and amazingly oriented to foodies that it's not even funny

And yes, I had Tamara as the head instructor, but I had Beau Cripps as my site lead.

Man, that was a total thread hijack. PM me if ya wanna talk about Antigua more, sommers (Half Moon Bay = )

Back on the topic of food, another things that I miss from Antigua is Ital food. Yes, I am talking about rastafarian. It's seriously good stuff. Does anyone know if there are any Ital food vendors or restaurants in Calgary? I miss sitting on a beach in St Martin (Guadaloupe) or Half Moon Bay (Antigua) and chowing down on a big bowl of the most flavorful rice, johnny cakes and veggies one will ever have.

And a tip. If you are EVER in Guadaloupe, and in St Martin to be specific, ask around and look up Freedom Fighters Ital Shack. Sure, Raz (the owner) is a weed smoking rastafarian to the core, but he also serves some of the absolute best food you will ever eat. When I was there, I had flavored rice, cornmeal and soybean fritters, and steamed broccolli leaf. Man... I gotta go back to the Carib! :P
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 07-30-2007 at 06:40 AM.
    Geek

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Obviously PM'ed
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Oh, and those wondering about the Roti that Msommers and I had down at Roti King in Antigua.... here's a pic:

I'm having goat curry roti, my buddy in the back right is having chick pea jamaican pie

Oh, and seeing as we're still talking about Antigua... walk off the main road a bit and this is the view

Last edited by Vagabond142; 07-30-2007 at 07:12 AM.
    Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Okay, went to Joycee's Carribean Foods today... and it was closed It's closed on Sunday and Mondays, open every other day 10 am till I forget when. On the window they advertised Oxtail soup (yum!), jamaican pies, roti, and a variety of other caribbean goodness. Gonna go back tomorrow cuz now I'm ****REALLY**** hankerin for some Roti
    Geek

My Ride
    04 Acura TL

so what is ting and rotti??? sounds like i should try some with all these rave reviews....looks like it might be spicy as well...

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Ting is a caribbean drink, pretty much grapefruit soda, but it has a VERY distinct taste. It's not as sour as north american grapefruit soda, it's a really great "I just spent 10 hours in 36 degree weather" drink :P

Roti, in the purest form, is a light crepe-style pastry. The name refers to the pastry used, but the "Definition" of what we're talking about is said pastry filled with a light curry of meat or chick peas. Roti can also be made into desert by putting caramelized fruits (ie lightly sautee'd bananas) inside with a lil shake of condensed milk on top with a tap of icing sugar
    Geek

My Ride
    04 Acura TL

well damn...i'm gonna have to go get some! i've had the fake stuff before and always wondered if you could get real 'roti' as you call it that doesn't have the texture of a steak left in the sun for a week!

Okay, went to Joycee's Carribean Foods today... and it was closed It's closed on Sunday and Mondays, open every other day 10 am till I forget when. On the window they advertised Oxtail soup (yum!), jamaican pies, roti, and a variety of other caribbean goodness. Gonna go back tomorrow cuz now I'm ****REALLY**** hankerin for some Roti
    I'll be there tomorrow evening for some Roti too!! Ting is awesome....drool.

Roti can also be made into desert by putting caramelized fruits (ie lightly sautee'd bananas) inside with a lil shake of condensed milk on top with a tap of icing sugar
    dude you for real? I've never heard of roti being eaten like this,and I've lived most of my life in the Caribbean(trinidad) where this kind of roti was born and i never seen it eaten like this.sounds some how tasty though

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Trini: Strangely, I had the banana roti when I was Finland at a Vietnamese restaurant there o_O So I think it may be a south asian influence on it. It is DAMNED tasty tho. I know that the carib style of roti is uncovered, but everything in this restaurant had some accompanying sauce or coating.
    Geek

Joycee's Caribbean meet today?

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
    Joycee's Caribbean meet today?
    I'm up for it... when tho? I have to be downtown this afternoon, but some roti on the way home would be nice
    Geek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast