Quantcast
XM or Sirius Radio... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: XM or Sirius Radio...

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

Default XM or Sirius Radio...

I was wondering about these Satelite radio systems. Is anyone running them? How well do they perform? Do they fade in and out with cloudy days? Do you have to know someone in the States to be able to activate the system?

Any info is good info...

Well, I don't have either system, but I know a few things. First off, weather doesn't affect the signal in any way, so you don't have to worry about that. You can subscribe to it here in Canada, no problem, just visit an XM or Sirius authorized dealer. And not sure if you know or not, but both systems do have a monthly access fee.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You can grey market them through US addresses. But like Satellite TV, the Radio Communications Act forbids anyone from possessing or selling equipment that can decode digital satellite signals from anyone other than a Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) approved source. (neither XM or Sirius is CRTC approved because it doesn't contain enough Canadian content).

But unlike Satellite TV, there is NO enforcement of satellite radio grey market (bring them in, government charges GST on it). That's because it doesn't cut into the profits of Bell or Shaw/Starchoice .

If a cop sees you with one, technically he can get you charged under the RCA, meaning fines up to $5000 + possible jailtime.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Abom
    Well, I don't have either system, but I know a few things. First off, weather doesn't affect the signal in any way, so you don't have to worry about that. You can subscribe to it here in Canada, no problem, just visit an XM or Sirius authorized dealer. And not sure if you know or not, but both systems do have a monthly access fee.
    There's no authorized XM or Sirius dealers in Canada.

From the XMRadio.com site :

Is XM Service available in Canada and Mexico?
    XM is only licensed to provide service to the US (All states except Alaska and Hawaii), its territories and adjacent waters. XM's satellite signal reaches into portions of Canada and Mexico near the U.S. borders however, XM's service is not currently sold in Canada, Mexico or any other region outside of the continental United States.
    From the sirius.com site :

12. Is SIRIUS available in Canada or Mexico?
    No. SIRIUS is only licensed to broadcast in the United States, so we cannot sign up subscribers, or support them, in Mexico or Canada.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    I dont Drive

sirius sux. i have it in my car and it doesnt work because none of the satiltes (sp) are over canada.

Originally posted by rage2

There's no authorized XM or Sirius dealers in Canada.

I stand corrected, I thought we could have it

I know a couple people here in Calgary who have XM, you make up a US address and use a .com email to communicate, for me it isn't worth the $15 a month but for them they are both happy with it and you get great reception every where but downtown. In the downtown core it goes in and out.

I don't know anyone that uses Sirrus.

hope that helps,

I have XM radio and it works great....the only problem i have is that the all the antennas available look like crap. I usually leave the antenna down so it doesn't look so bad but the problem is that i loose the signal a bit more frequently. Overall it works great and the programming iw pretty good. It cost me about $30 cdn for the first month with activation and $9.95 per month after. As for activation, just go to the xmradio.com site and enter in a US address of any kind (alpine head office would do) and make sure u give them a generic email like hotmail or something...nothing like .ca as they could easily figure that out. Just make sure u don't say your from Canada in any way as they could "ban" your serial number to your tuner box making it useless. I have also heard there are going to be hacks for it that are similar to the ExpressVU but I haven't confirmed it yet.

Hope this helps...

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by JST4SH0
    I have XM radio and it works great....the only problem i have is that the all the antennas available look like crap. I usually leave the antenna down so it doesn't look so bad but the problem is that i loose the signal a bit more frequently. Overall it works great and the programming iw pretty good. It cost me about $30 cdn for the first month with activation and $9.95 per month after. As for activation, just go to the xmradio.com site and enter in a US address of any kind (alpine head office would do) and make sure u give them a generic email like hotmail or something...nothing like .ca as they could easily figure that out. Just make sure u don't say your from Canada in any way as they could "ban" your serial number to your tuner box making it useless. I have also heard there are going to be hacks for it that are similar to the ExpressVU but I haven't confirmed it yet.

Hope this helps...
    The new antenna looks way better, a buddie of mine got that one instead. I already know 3 people in town that run XM. Audio concepts sells it.

hmm do u have a pic of what it looks like?

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by JST4SH0
    hmm do u have a pic of what it looks like?
    Its a small flat box sort of. Maybe the size of a pack of malboro's, but the edges are rounded off. Its also paintable.

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

Thanks guys. I read on the their sites that it's only licienced in the lower 48 states but one of the sites mentioned that you should be able to get reception in most parts of Canada.

To any of the guys that are running either, have you listen to it on the highway? Traveled to the mountains with it or to the West Coast or to Saskatchewan?

i travelled to banff and it worked perfect for me....don't know about any other provinces though

I know this is a WAY old thread, but I thought I might point out that CBC and Sirius just announced a deal to bring Sirius to Canada:

http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/htmen/new...s/20031210.htm