Quantcast
Pricing Errors - retail industry standards? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pricing Errors - retail industry standards?

Default Pricing Errors - retail industry standards?

Does anybody know what is standard practice in the retail industry when the displayed price is lower than what they charge at the till?

Without going into too much detail; I was at Canadian Tire yesterday and bought airsoft equipment, all of which is behind locked glass displays and handled by the sales people. I bought a total of 4 items, and when I got home checked my receipt and noticed something weird about the scanned prices on my receipt. 3 of the 4 items that I bought were about $2-4 higher than what was posted on the store! All these items aren't just stickered with the price like at dollar stores, but with actual SKU's that can't be mistaken.

So on my lunch break, I went to Canadian Tire's customer service desk and ask the 16 year old girl to investigate. After she concludes that i should be refunded my $4.27 due to pricing error she pages the store manager to authorize the unusually large refund *rolls eyes*. Anyways the store owners' dad (this old guy) hears out the situation and then loses it on me! He says that the computer price is always right and he doesnt know if somebody's been tampering with the prices (indicating me). So after I lose it on him he's even more irrate and tells the girl to refund the money. And then the best part of the it is: he tells me to take my money and never come back to the store, and if he sees me he'll throw me out! Anyways, at the point I am livid. I start going off on how many customers his store has screwed over by the pricing errors and etc. and he starts stuttering and blaming it on incompetent employees, his lack of computer knowledge, department shuffling etc.... all this in front all the customers in line! hahaah ... The young girl that was originally helping me was defending me the whole time and when the old guy was gone was totally apologizine to me.

Anyways..sorry that was actually pretty detailed...but I have concluded that not only from this one experience, but from what I've seen while waiting in line that Canadian tire has one of the worst customer returns policy/service I've ever seen. Not just the one location too!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Standard practice is to pay attention to your receipt at the till.

But yes, they are required to charge you what is on the sticker (as long as it isn't obviously altered), otherwise it's false advertising.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Standard practice is to pay attention to your receipt at the till.
    Duh. Well regardless of whether or not I checked my receipt at the time had no bearing on me getting the proper refund.

You should tell us which Crappy Tire so we can avoid it.

Originally posted by l8braker
    You should tell us which Crappy Tire so we can avoid it.
    How bout all of 'em? In the return line at this other CT i witnessed another customer totally get shafted on a legitimate return. My situation happened at the Southland location
    Last edited by gmoney82; 07-26-2007 at 03:42 PM.

My Ride

I think there were some grocery stores (mabey Sobey's) that would give you 10$ if the till was different than the floor, in order to instill confidence that you're not getting swindled at checkout.

I actually went to Canadian tire last year and bought a shop vac. It was one of thos 2 day sales, but i was there on a monday, and the weekend price was still on the shelves. When they ran the till through at 149 instead of 99, or something like that, i pointed out what the sign said. One of the department guys checked it, saw that the old price was still out there, and said that he'd have to sell me it at the sale price because the signage hadn't been updated.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by gmoney82

How bout all of 'em? ... My situation happened at the Southland location
    Yeah, last winter this chick gave me a hard time because I was returning a broken shovel (that lasted 1/2 a sidewalk). Got a really snooty attitude about it, her obviously thinking I was too hard on it, then she put it in the store room and came back "yeah, I guess they do suck, there's 6 others just like it back there"
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

google "scanner code of practice"

Not all stores adhere to it. What the guy said earlier about how stores HAVE to sell it to you at the lower price is wrong, some will not saying it is an error and the price at the till is correct.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Originally posted by Crymson
    I think there were some grocery stores (mabey Sobey's) that would give you 10$ if the till was different than the floor, in order to instill confidence that you're not getting swindled at checkout.

I've also seen that sign in other stores (SuperStore)...Isn't that an industry regulation? I hear that if the scanned price is greater than the shelf price, the customer is entitled to have the first item for free (up to a maximum of $10).

Originally posted by Gainsbarre

I've also seen that sign in other stores (SuperStore)...Isn't that an industry regulation? I hear that if the scanned price is greater than the shelf price, the customer is entitled to have the first item for free (up to a maximum of $10).
    Yah I thought I heard of something like that. Seeing how I spent 45 min in the store tearin a chunk out of the owner, I was just happy to get my refund. I'm just wonderning about how many other customers got screwed over even worse and didnt even catch it!

scanning code of practice only works on non-ticketed items so if it has a price tag on it and it's wrong, scanning code of practice does not apply. you deserve to get the price on the tag, but not the ten dollars

My Ride
    MK7 R

i used to work at london drugs and if we didnt take down the outdated sale price tags and someone buys the product, we had to sell it to them at the sale price. it varies by store i guess?

Originally posted by dennisaur
    i used to work at london drugs and if we didnt take down the outdated sale price tags and someone buys the product, we had to sell it to them at the sale price. it varies by store i guess?
    probably does. And none of mine were on sale either! They were probably collecting dust if anything. I actually bought 2 different models of laser scopes and kept one. BOTH of the scopes had a higher scanned price! One by $5!

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Originally posted by gmoney82

How bout all of 'em? In the return line at this other CT i witnessed another customer totally get shafted on a legitimate return. My situation happened at the Southland location
    The point is that you pointed out a pricing error. Doesn't matter if the dipshit doesn't know how to use a computer or if the staff is incompetent. Take responsibility and do right instead of blaming it on somebody/something.
    BTW, thanks for the location. I'm in a pissy mood and I think I'll go down there and pick a fight with geezer. What he did wasn't right, especially in retail.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

when I worked at CT we adhered to the scanning code of practice. Was over 3 years ago though, they may have changed the policy, but when it was instated we were told we had no choice but to follow it. They also get price changes every day from Corp so that would explain why the prices were wrong (they're changed in the computer automatically and then someone has to go around and change all the labels), it's damn hard to keep up with all those label changes. Regardless CT is renowned for it's shitty customer service but no dealer is willing to pay the amount to get good people working there either.
    Success is the ultimate revenge.

Originally posted by Gainsbarre

The scanning code of practice is followed by retailers voluntarily - it is not mandatory and not every retail outlet will honour it.

You are correct in the usage of it - you get the first item (So you can't buy 14 of them) at up to $10 off.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Originally posted by abyss
    Regardless CT is renowned for it's shitty customer service but no dealer is willing to pay the amount to get good people working there either.
    I find in general, most Canadian retail chains suck for service. ie. Rona, Zellers, Superstore..........

Home Depot, Walmart, Safeway (all U.S. chains) know how to do it right.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Originally posted by abyss
    They also get price changes every day from Corp so that would explain why the prices were wrong (they're changed in the computer automatically and then someone has to go around and change all the labels), it's damn hard to keep up with all those label changes
    If Walmart can do the price rollbacks right with more than twice the amount of products so can CT!
    But yah...I'm just glad I didnt leave without giving the guy a piece of my mind.

BTW I told my buddy who i bought the airsoft with the story, and the same thing happened to him a few hours later at Staples with a laptop bag. The returns girl and manager didnt even verify the error or bat an eyelash.. They just gave him the correct sticker price.

It seems that US retailer do it better...dunno why

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-30-2020 at 07:15 PM.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Originally posted by frozenrice

I find in general, most Canadian retail chains suck for service. ie. Rona, Zellers, Superstore..........

Home Depot, Walmart, Safeway (all U.S. chains) know how to do it right.
    Odd, I've always found Walmart to be the worst for service (seeing as how most of their staff looks to be 20 years past retirement age), and that Rona is usually a bit better than Home Depot.

Zellers and the rest of the HBC family (Hudson's Bay / Home Outfitters / Designer Depot) are no longer Canadian since they were taken private by billionaire American Jerry Zucker about 18 months ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast