Quantcast
Progression Of My Car - Pictures - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Progression Of My Car - Pictures

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

Default Progression Of My Car - Pictures

I tried to find a better place to put this thread but couldn't. The Members' Rides section doesn't allow others to comment so this is the best I could find.

Trying build a daily driver show car. It has a lot of limitations but this is what I have done so far. I laid low and didn't post anything here about my car for fear of thieves but I'm leaving the country next week and it's coming with me anyway. So who cares. Plus I have the pager......someone tried to steal my car a year ago and I caught him when the pager went off. Talented, he got in without even breaking a window.

Where it all began. It's a 2005, this is the day after I got it.

One of the first things I did was install a flip out DVD player, PS2, subwoofer and amp.

Then 2 days later I had my 2 way paging alarm/starter installed.

Then I pulled the badges off.

Then I painted my headlights flat black.

Then I put in the trunk monkey. His name is Spanks, Spanks The Monkey.
    Last edited by em2ab; 07-26-2007 at 10:25 PM.
    Originally posted by adamc
    you can pretty much skip over any posts that have no punctuation, as a general rule of thumb.

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

And then pulled out the DVD player to put in a computer with a VGA touchscreen.

I paid for a full air ride suspension and only received this much of it. As you can see it's useless to me.

And I got my windows tinted.

I replaced the fabric on the doors with (fake) suede.

I replaced the shift boot with the same.

Got new seats.

Then I ordered a trunk actuator from a USDM 2002 Honda Accord which is a direct bolt on to the EM2 (Civic). No Civic comes with a trunk popper but I now have one thanks to Randy at T&T Honda for going out of his way to get me this. I wired up the actuator to the trunk (+) output on my Compustar and presto......I hold button 3 and the trunk opens.
    you can pretty much skip over any posts that have no punctuation, as a general rule of thumb.

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

Then I bought a Tein S-Tech suspension, Eibach camber kit and 18 inch Tenzo Drive X-7 wheels.

Then I painted the calipers red and the drums black.

Then after a huge legal process I got the rest of the airbag suspension mailed to me 9 months after I paid for it.

My plans now are to order a piece of hardware called Fusion Brain which will take all electrical signals from the suspension and feed them to my screen via a USB port on my computer. It'll read PSI for each bag plus the tank and allow me to adjust height for each corner through the screen. No need for any switches or extra gauges. The Fusion hardware will also allow me to control all the other electrical in my car including locks, ignition, trunk, lights, eveything. All through the screen and the skinnable software.

impressive show car

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

Here are some pictures of the carputer software since I upgraded it.

This is the main menu.

Then you click the navigation button.

From there you can click the i and get the information from the GPS receiver including longitude, lattitude, altitude, number of locked satellites, speed, heading and universal time clock. Touching the flash logo on the left switches between information.

Then backing out of there and hitting the 4 arrows on the navigation screen gives you the fullsize navigation screen.

Then hit menu to get the iGuidance menu screen.

Click destination to put in where you want to go, I didn't take a shot of that, it's not exciting. But when you do set a distination, it gives you your speed, distance and ETA.

Or click Shortcuts to get the following menu.

Need to find an ATM nearby? Simply click ATM and it'll give you all banks in the area, direction and distance to them.

Or maybe you need to find a gas station? Click GAS and it'll give you all the gas stations near you with direction and distance. It also gives you the names.

Downtown and need to find parking? Click Parking and it gives you all the lots you can go to and their names along with distance and direction.

If you're driving through a new city and don't know what to do, click Tourist Information and it'll suggest places to go.

Last edited by em2ab; 07-26-2007 at 10:16 PM.

My Ride
    ////M

Nice to see a build up thread, thats one thing Beyond needs more of
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

Backing out to the main menu, you can hit EVIC and get your vehicles health report.

Click Gasoline and input the type of gas you just got, how much, what it cost you and how far you went on it.

Then click Reports and it'll automatically calculate the type of gas which gives you the best miles per gallon along with a readout of the statistics for each tank. I haven't used this yet and probably never will, my tank doesn't go below half.

Click maintenance and it'll track all your maintenance schedules based on mileage and time.

Click Events and there's a calendar to keep track of all your maintenance appointments.

Back out to the main menu and click Weather for a forcast. This one's outdated, I wasn't picking up a Wi-Fi signal when I took the screenshot.

Click Radar to get a rain forecast for the country.

Or wind.

Back out to the main menu again and click Phone to connect to your phone via bluetooth and import all your contacts. This way you can simply dial on the screen, or say it if you have the voice control installed, and use your microphone/speakers to use your phone which never comes out of your pocket. On an incoming call, it automatically cuts your stereo volume and switches to the Phone screen so you can answer. I don't have this set up since the Phone Control application doesn't work with Blackberrys.

Back out to the main menu and click Video to start playing movies or music videos. In this screenshot I was playing a video but obviously screenshots don't pick that up. The green numbers and the bottom controls fade away after a few seconds so it's just the video.

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

Back out to the main menu again and click Skins to sort through all the frontend skins you downloaded from the internet. I only have one other one since the one I use is the best one I've found. I don't really look for them anymore anyway. But this is the other one I have, it's good to know I can change the layout anytime I want instead of being stuck with the same frontend forever.

And finally go back to the main menu and click Music to get to the music screen. The music will continue to play on every screen you are on except the video screen which plays the sound from the video.

The computer is a mini-ITX motherboard hooked up to a DC-DC power supply hooked straight to the battery, no inverter, and also has a startup/shutdown controller which senses a 12 volt signal on ignition and automatically boots/shutsdown the computer with the vehicle. I don't have to do anything extra. It's then run under the carpet to the 7 inch Xenarc touchscreen in the dash which controls everything. I also have a Holux 213 GPS receiver inside the dash which runs back to the computer via USB and connects to the satellite. Since I need to get information from one single GPS receiver for both the front end and also the GPS software, I used Xport3 to split the physical COM port into 2 virtual COM ports. And I have a Wi-Fi snooper which automatically locates and logs onto unsecure wireless signals I drive by so I don't need to physically log on when I want to use the net. Future modifications include a higher decible antenna to be able to pick up signals farther away and also a OBD-II reader to get the full potential of the diagnostics applications.

Then UPS dropped off my mini wireless PS3 keyboard which will work with the computer as well.

It's certainly coming together, I'm sure there's more that I forgot to mention. I'm still figuring out the cool stuff with it. It also has a trip calculator which you can start and stop manually and it keeps track of total distance, average speed, highest speed and things like that, and when the car is turned off, the computer doesn't shut down, it hibernates. So since it's sitting in a suspended state, the trip computer log is still there when it's started again. This way I can start the trip, drop it off at the mechanic and look at all the information when I get it back, most importantly the highest speed. I'm also looking at a Wi-Fi tracking system which will tell me where he went as well. Let me know what you think! I'll post more features if I think of them later.
    Last edited by em2ab; 07-26-2007 at 10:23 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

And finally here's a picture of it at DTP this past June. Some of you might recognize it.

And a HUGE thanks to Randy at T&T as I said, he got me the USDM Accord trunk actuator when it's not really a catalogued part. Also a wicked thanks to Jon and the guys at The Car Salon for a flawless tint job. And the boys at CMS for the huge wheel sale I got my wheels at. Especially Bob for the custom modification of beating on my seat brackets with a 3 pound sledge! They fit perfect now!

And a shameless plug for the club!

Last edited by em2ab; 07-26-2007 at 11:24 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

I've been asked to list the parts I bought to put together my carputer. Here they are.

motherboard - Via Epia M10000 motherboard. It's got a 1ghz processor which is more than enough to run everything you need for a carputer. People always go way overboard with the processor, this is all you need. The chip is integrated into the board so you can't change it independently but the board itself is pretty cheap. - $163.99

Processor - fixed to board, see above

Power Supply Unit - M1-ATX. It's a DC-DC power supply unit which means it takes power straight from the battery instead of an AC outlet. The PSU in your home computer is DC-AC which is no good for a car. This PSU also has a startup/shutdown controller which senses the 12 volt input as soon as you start the car and sends a signal to the computer to startup. Same with when you turn off the car but I use hibernate instead so it's quicker. I have 45 seconds from key turn to music and it picks up right where it left off when I turned the car off. This PSU is 90 watts which is plenty but as I add more USB devices I'll have to upgrade to the M2-ATX which is 120 watts. - $74.99

Hard Drive - Samsung 80 gigabyte 5400 RPM IDE 2.5 inch. This thing doesn't have to be amazingly fast you'll never know the difference. Any 2.5 inch laptop drive will do fine, type doesn't matter as long as it's the right size. - $whatever you can get one for

Case - Ampie. It's called this because it looks like an amp but the fitment is very tight inside. The board has a PCI slot and I can't utilize it with this case. - $74.99

Screen - Xenarc 700TSV. This thing requires its own power input and it has to be 12 volts but it doesn't regulate the power input. Since it's unregulated, I couldn't hook it straight to the battery as that can output more or less than 12 volts on cranking so I wired it to the PSU via a molex connector by hacking up the DC wall adapter and soldering the wires to the molex connector. So now it gets its power from the M1-ATX which does regulate the power to 12 volts steady through cranking. - $388.95

Then I went to The Car Salon (thanks Jon, you the man) and picked up this little number from Streetwires. It's a single jacket which holds 9 individual wires.....2 for each speaker plus a remote lead. Since I'm not running a headunit, I had to amplify the sound coming out of the motherboard by feeding it into a 4 channel amp. Then from the 4 channel amp I didn't want to run wires to each speaker so I just used this thing to run it to the harness in the dash. That way I plug it in and use the vehicle's existing wires to run to each speaker. I soldered it to the harness I was using for the flip out originally.

GPS Receiver - Holux 213. I got this from Ebay for somewhere around $70 shipped to my door. It just plugs into the computer via USB and I have it up inside my dash in the fan shroud. The signal goes straight through the dash, the Sirf Star III technology in the receiver is extremely good and doesn't require line of sight.

After that I just have a regular USB Wi-Fi receiver and the mini keyboard I have pictured higher up. I think I listed everything.

I got all my stuff from the store at www.mp3car.com. They've got a deal on right now for the motherboard, PSU and case that I have for $279.99. That's a fairly good deal, and all prices listed above are USD. To avoid shipping costs I had all my stuff shipped to a friend of mine in Redmond, Washington who then brought it to Calgary in his luggage. It was funny when he found a note in there from customs saying they searched his suitcase thinking it was a bomb or something.

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

My Ride
    broken POS

lol spanks the monkey.. the trunk monkey!
    what a sweet idea haha

My Ride
    300 Limited

I can tell you have alot of patience, and are very dedicated to the cause. Good on you, and keep up the great work. Nice looking car.
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

Car looks great, but I have to ask, does that carputer play music? lol

EDIT: Good thing I read threads though hey?
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Please tell me where you got the trunk monkey!

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

Thanks for the comments guys!

I've seen the trunk monkeys at 2 places. San Francisco has them for 50% off, that's where I got mine. But they have much more colourful ones at the Calgary Zoo, but they're a few dollars more. Sometimes I take it out and hang it from the ceiling handles or headrests, he doesn't like to stay in the trunk all the time!

I love the in dash screen install. Is there a bracket for the screen to fit the molding or did you build a custom fiberglass one?

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

I used this screen:

Then I pulled the bezel off the screen voiding the warranty and cut about 80% of it off so it would fit into the dash. When I was done it looked like this:

Then I bought this from Ebay and cut the middle piece out:

That's it, I put the screen into the dash and then put the Ebay bezel over it.

My Ride
    Ho Train

i got a monkey his name is ozzy he chills on top of my review mirror and i also have a whale called spermy hes a sperm whale they protect my car

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

Just got finished putting a new terminal on my battery and feeding all the wiring into it. Much better.

And here's the screenshots for the new skin I installed.

Last edited by em2ab; 07-28-2007 at 02:20 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast