Quantcast
US, Saudi Arabia finalize $30 billion arms deal - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: US, Saudi Arabia finalize $30 billion arms deal

Default US, Saudi Arabia finalize $30 billion arms deal

so USA does not want canadian oil then no problem to buy oil and do business with a country that supports terrorists.

we see what obamas true priorities are.

U.S. to sell $30 billion-worth of fighter jets to Saudi Arabia
    The deal includes 84 new F-15s and upgrades to 70 planes in the existing Saudi air fleet
    by macleans.ca on Friday, December 30, 2011 10:27am - 0 Comments
    The United States has confirmed a deal to sell 84 Boeing F-15 jets to Saudi Arabia, and to upgrade 70 F-15s already in the Saudi air fleet, the BBC reports. The $30-billion deal is part of a larger arms deal approved by the U.S. Congress last year, worth approximately $60 billion over the next ten to 15 years. Josh Earnest, White House deputy spokesperson said the deal would help support American jobs, while senior state department official Andrew Shapiro said it represented “a strong message to countries in the region that the United States is committed to stability in the Gulf and broader Middle East.” The announcement comes amid increasing tension with Iran, including recent posturing from Tehran over its ability to control the Strait of Hormuz, a strategically crucial oil route. Saudi Arabia is a key American ally in the region, and one of the most important suppliers of oil to the U.S.

My Ride
    TL

Default Re: US, Saudi Arabia finalize $30 billion arms deal

Originally posted by rob the knob
    do business with a country that supports terrorists.
    wat

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Haha, read what you posted - especially the part about controlling the Strait of Hormuz and them being a key American ally.

Not sure why you think they support terrorists.

My Ride
    jdm b18c

^majority of the terrorists are either from saudi or get supported by saudi.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by davidI
    +1

Originally posted by top_speed
    get supported by saudi.
    but not necessarily by the government direct, it's the prominent saudi nationals that come up with the cash.

idk how you guys think terrorist organizations are super excited that SA is getting a bunch of 'Top Gun' mid-70s air-superiority fighter jets? (they're not crappy aircraft but theyre really just getting avionics and powerplant upgrades) /on-topic
    Last edited by n1zm0; 12-30-2011 at 12:35 PM.

What's a terrorist?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

There are bigger issues than Saudi. It's good to have an ally when the rest of the region is going to shit. Ask me how I know...I'm in Yemen right now.

Default Re: US, Saudi Arabia finalize $30 billion arms deal

Originally posted by rob the knob
    so USA does not want canadian oil then no problem to buy oil and do business with a country that supports terrorists.
    Uummm I thought U.S. was going to buy oil but Harper told them it's "too late", so our government is going to deal with Asia, or so I've read.
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 06:10 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/wo...t/24saudi.html

BTW, it's only the F15s, ain't those buggers been retired from USAF?

EDIT: NVM, Wiki said in service til 2025.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-30-2011 at 01:56 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

Default Re: Re: US, Saudi Arabia finalize $30 billion arms deal

This has been on the table since October 2010 - so it's not like this is something new.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4944175

It was likely to be approved anyway. The whole strait of hormuz issue right now likely expedited the State Dept's approval of this sale.

Originally posted by Merritt

Uummm I thought U.S. was going to buy oil but Harper told them it's "too late", so our government is going to deal with Asia, or so I've read.
    I think it was, some senior officials wanted an exclusive on the oilsands oil and Harper said to protect our interests, we're going to look at other options (China). Keystone already ships a lot of oil from the oilsands down to Cushing. It's not like we're turning the taps off.

But the prime minster also said that on a recent trip to the U.S., he was told by a number of senior officials that the Keystone XL pipeline will be approved, thereby opening a new route for Canadian oil to be sent to refineries on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

"I ran into several senior Americans, who all said, ‘Don't worry, we'll get Keystone done. You can sell all of your oil to us.' I said, ‘Yeah we'd love to but the problem is now we're on a different track.'"

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories...erview-111219/

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by 01RedDX

wow... really?
    Saudi is the country in the region most interested in stability. Do you think they want oil shipments blocked in the Strait of Hormuz? Do you think they want oil to spike to $180 a barrel again (you may think they would, but in reality they don't - they want a price that is sustainable, thus the creation of OPEC back in the day).

Saudi is probably the largest local supporter of anti-terrorist activities in the region. Yes, there are people there that are bad, but that has little to do with the government. If you want to know where the threats in the region are right now, it's Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen & Somalia, plus Iran for its crazy politics.

The UAE recently bought a bunch of fighter jets as well - another country seeking regional stability since its economy (Dubai, Sharjah & Abu Dhabi at least) is largely based on people - tourists, education facilities, and new industry).

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The Arabs and the Persians have a history of war as far back as.... well... history. The Americans have supplied the UAE and the house of Saud with modern weapons to equalize their contributions in the middle east, in support of American policy.

Yes, factions of the government of Saudi Arabia do support terrorism of some sort, but so does the CIA.

As an aside, the Saudis already own F-15E ground attack aircraft, Typhoons and Tornadoes.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Saudi is the country in the region most interested in stability.

They are interested in getting rid of the shia, and destabilising Iran & Iraq in any way shape or form. By winning through religion, they gain control. Thus the discrimination of Shiite muslims and the support for Al-Qeada

Saudi is probably the largest local supporter of anti-terrorist activities in the region.

But you forgot to mention that:

Saudi Arabia remains the world's leading source of money for Al Qaeda

I know too.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Government Money? Don't think so. Saudi citizen money? Yep.

Last week in the UAE, 95 tons of gold were seized in a laundering operation. They haven't connected it directly to terrorism...but wouldn't surprise me in the least.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/cr...eized-1.957490

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

So how does an additional $60B in arms add stability to the region?

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Saudi is the country in the region most interested in stability. Do you think they want oil shipments blocked in the Strait of Hormuz? Do you think they want oil to spike to $180 a barrel again (you may think they would, but in reality they don't - they want a price that is sustainable, thus the creation of OPEC back in the day).
    Doesn't demand have more control over the market than supply? Im thinking about the threshold where price is pushed up and demand beings to exponentially dry up at which point price plummets?

On the other hand I got a question for you, Saudi claimed they were producing 10mmbbl/day during Octoberish. Bullshit or no?

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Government Money? Don't think so. Saudi citizen money? Yep.

Last week in the UAE, 95 tons of gold were seized in a laundering operation. They haven't connected it directly to terrorism...but wouldn't surprise me in the least.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/cr...eized-1.957490
    governments seizing gold during a depression? History rhymes.

The USA governemnet supports democracy (publicly) too, whats your point?
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by broken_legs

governments seizing gold during a depression? History rhymes.

The USA governemnet supports democracy (publicly) too, whats your point?
    It's amazing how you've gone from, the UAE seizing gold from a criminal network who was trying to smuggle in 95 tonnes of gold in a money laundering bust, to anti-US rhetoric. Can you help me connect how you got from A to B, without the rhetoric?

You're starting to look like the anti-US version of ZenOps and Rob Anders.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by hampstor

It's amazing how you've gone from, the UAE seizing gold from a criminal network who was trying to smuggle in 95 tonnes of gold in a money laundering bust, to anti-US rhetoric. Can you help me connect how you got from A to B, without the rhetoric?

You're starting to look like the anti-US version of ZenOps and Rob Anders.

errrr

that saudi arabia supports sunni muslim terrorism against Shia, and exactly zero of what DavidI posted refutes that.

is that ok with you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast