Quantcast
Fiberglass.. I think this weekend is the weekend. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Fiberglass.. I think this weekend is the weekend.

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Default Fiberglass.. I think this weekend is the weekend.

I'm going to buy my stuff tomorrow and try to do the fiberglass enclosure in my trunk spare tire well this weekend.

Going to have a lifted false floor with my amps flush mounted underneath.

Anybody have tips on what I should buy / where to go? I live by country hills in the NW (beddington/huntington).

Should be some sun this weekend to cure it good and fast too!

Anybody care to have some beer and do car stuff this weekend that has experience? thats cool too .. but for now ... what to buy ... ?

i think you can buy paint can sized tubs of fiberglass at crappy tire.....just look near the bondo and car care sections....
    i think it is short strand stuff though, so if you want actual sheets of fiberglass you gotta look somewhere else...
    Last edited by dj_honda; 06-25-2003 at 12:43 PM.
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

Id buy fiberglass matting, fiberglass resin, a mixing palette, bondo (body filler) and lots of sand paper of varying grits...

You also need to build the shape for what u want to fiberglass

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

I was thinking i'd rip everything out of my trunk, cover everything in plastic and tape it real good so no fiberglass will get on anything ... and then put a bunch of masking tape smothered in vasaline or tin foil or something as a release agent and build it right into my spare tire enclosure ... then im just going to top it off with some MDF and put an MDF false floor above that so my amps are flush mount.. then i can put a port somewhere, put some plexi over the sub so it look scool and then i can still use my entire trunk floor, just raised up a bit .. .

if that makes sense.. hard to visualize but .. i think it should be ok .. the only thing im not quite sure how to do is build it to fasten the MDF to the fiberglass ... if theres room ill use like 2x2 or 1x2 and frame around flush with the trunk floor and put the fiberglass around that and screw it down to the wood .. sand it off so its nice and smooth and seal it so its air tight ..

i'll know more tomorrow when i empty my trunk.
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

heres my imagestation...

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289774619

Tonight, I am going to do the fiber enclosure .. about half the size of my spare tire well .. (thing is sunk almost for the entire area of the trunk!) Its shiddy pictures but the way i have the sub braced is how its going to be..

I haven't decided yet if i am going to put a wood frame around where im doin the 'glass or if im just going to seal the MDF to the fiberglass..

the MDF will be sized to fit the sub and overlap on the left/right of the tire well and support its weight there ... then I put overtop the raised floor.

Tonight I plan on doing the fiberglassing enclosure, a couple layers I hope, finishing it off tomorrow and then cutting the MDF to put in my sub. Once thats done .. the fun with raising the floor begins.. oiy ... thats gonna be tough.

Did all my wiring last night ... Just have to extend the power, its too short.

I think I will do the floor in 3 parts, one piece going overtop the sub and then fitting snug and shaped rightinto the left of the trunk, a 2nd piece going against the back seats with my amps mounted from underneath so the top is flush with the false floor, and then on the left just a piece to fill in but ill have it so i can left it up and use under it for storage.
    DannyO

Fiberglass for newbies, and probably the BEST writeup and easiest to understand. http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Abom: yeah I saw that one, very very awesome.
    I want to do a full writeup w/ pics on this so anybody with a prelude can understand it and do it if they need to .. one stop resource.

the supplies section in the fiberglass for newbies is just awesome. Although home depot seemed pretty useless when I went there.. i ask a guy for fiberglass, he takes me to the plexiglass .. im like no, you dont have a clue what im talking about and cant help me. (even after mentioning I want cans of resin and that im making a custom enclosure in my car)
    DannyO

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Alright.. got my MDF and 2x4 frame cut out at home depot... they're good for that ... the frame was made, I lined my trunk with masking tape, lined the inside of my 2x4 frame/bottom with lots of alluminum foil to give it some support so its my mold per say ... and fiberglass and fiberglass and fiberglass and fiberglass ... that shit hardens quick.. turned my paintbrush pretty much into a solid stick .. dont use foam brushes!! they suck .. the bristle brushes are awesome, went through 1 liter of resin/hardener and im going to do more tomorrow and hopefully finish it off .. maybe 1 more liter after that (3 liters in total) .. so far im at 100bux for supplies and thats just the sub enclosure, the false floor im sure will add up quickly possibly another 100bux? who knows...

so far so good though! w00t! (i'll take pics tomorrow)
    DannyO