Quantcast
Vancouver and nice cars - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver and nice cars

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Default Vancouver and nice cars

Here in Vancouver for the weekend. Lot of nice cars here. In Calgary we have some nice cars, and some beaters. In Fort Mac where I work there aren't many beaters and in general people drive decent cars, mostly trucks. Now in Vancouver, at least in Richmond it seems everyone drives nice cars.

My question is, do people feel they have to fit in? I am sure there are people who drive nice cars cuz they car afford to. There are people who get a nice car to keep up with the Wongs (lol) and impress girls and friends. Of course there are normal people with their normal cars.

Now I am Chinese, so don't say I am prejudice. I might reverse discriminate instead. Lot of young male in Vancouver with nice cars. What's the deal? Some might make $40,000 and put all the $ into their cars. Some might have rich parents. Others have good jobs to justify. Honestly some Chinese, or Asian in general should buy cheap so cars cuz they can't drive. A lot of people like to park by backing in. First of all, it take then 2 minute to park the car the normal way. Backing in take them longer. And it takes them a day and half to get out of a parking spot.

My friends always tell me I should go for this or that Asian female (friend) but my head is tainted. I always think of Asians (Chinese) as being spoiled, materialistic, like to play volleyball and badminton and avoid other sports they are bad at. In a way it's my loss cuz I have some good good female friends but I tend to be attracted to petit White gals who are quite sporty.

Back to nice cars. Saw a RS4 here. Sweet car, but $100k though. Must be some CEO driving it. Or it could be a guy making $50,000 figuring he can spend $1200 a month financing it :-).

lots of grow ops out there

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Without sounding prejudice myself (I'm Asian as well), but I think it is just the Asian way of life. I discussed this topic numerous times with a few Asian friends and they concur that it has a lot to do with pride. Stems from older generations that had to go through a lot of hardship to make something for themselves. Somewhere along the way material things made their way as an indication that they succeeded. This eventually has become a way of life for some people. A lot of Asians on here have probably experienced pressure from their parents to do well in school so they can become doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. This way they can make money so they can buy lots of things. Part of the mentaility too is that they will do everything to make it as easy as possible for their kids to be happy so their kids don't have to suffer as much as the parents did to have a "happy" lifestyle. Part of this is to buy them whatever they want.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Same thing goes for all those people in FT. Mac who drive trucks they cant afford and their wives drive massive SUV's that they cant drive.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

a lot of CBC's there, including some of my friends there have semi-decent jobs but still live at home...that's how they afford their payments....but most of the young Asian kids you see there with nice cars...just have rich ass parents

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

i know what you mean.. i was there about 3 years to buy a car for myself (im asian too), and i was looking into buying a integra GSR, and when i was driving around Vancouver.. i felt like my GSR was a toy compared to all the nice high end cars down there..

Thats cause vancouver or richmond doesn't have the redneck attitude like we do in calgary where everyone needs a truck because their uncles, friends, and co workers drive one. I actually see alot of trucks being used for work in van or richmond whereas here they buy them to drive LOL.

My Ride
    1989 CRX

ive been living in richmond for about 3 months and have seen tonnes of nice ass cars in and around surrounding areas. RS4 is nothing compared to the numerous amount of lambos, porshes, ferrarris etc. everyone drives high end bimmers and benz and damn mini coopers. i see more bmw's than civics, corollas combined

My Ride
    my bike

Originally posted by Blue CRX
    i see more bmw's than civics, corollas combined
    It seems to me that out there the 3 series is their Civic.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oh man I could write a 10 page essay on my theories of asian wealth, materialism and gold digging .

I'm asian, and I hate that style of living.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    NC1

It's because most of the Asians in Vancouver are from Hong Kong and HK is well known for its consumerism and strong materialistic values.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

I am sure there are some nice, down to earth, and giving Asians but in Van City it seems everyone have their blings. Newest phones, gadgets, nice wheels. Not a bad thing if they allocate their $ to the other things first (eg. debt, family, charity) but having a car worth twice your yearly salary is another thing. When I see a cheapo/normal car I smile. When I see one driving a nice Benz and can't park or drive I tell them go buy a Yugo, take the bus.

My folks live in Richmond, and a few of my friends are now working in Vancouver, moved from Calgary. I do contemplate working in Van. I think my first choice is still Calgary. Warmer climates would be considered as well. Vancouver has nice food, summer weather, parks, and in general the gals are fitter. But I don't like to be in a population with so many Asians (is that reverse Racism?). I don't think I will stay in Fort Mac too much longer. Make a few bucks and then go. No restaurants, no shopping, not enough sports clubs/events that doesn't involve drinking, no good single women, etc etc. Good think about Van is one can drive a decent car a year and don't need a beater. A $20,000 or less car, not $50,000+.

My Ride
    NC1

^^
    I'm not sure if you are just making an observation or if you are bothered by it. No one said you have to keep up with the Jones.

Vancouver is great but $700K house + PST makes it expensive to live in.

Does the luxury car tax still apply there? Something like an additional 3.5% for cars over $60K. That would blow paying 17% tax on a new car!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I guess its just the way people live. I know people who drive some nice cars and have big houses. But when you walk into the house all the furniture looks like it was passed down for 6 generations, looks like shit basiclly. Or people that have really nice homes, inside and out...but drive shit cars. Its just their way of life...look good in front of others.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Originally posted by Xamim
    I guess its just the way people live..................Its just their way of life...look good in front of others.
    Good example is Tony and Anita Koo. Thy ripped off that South American millionaire oil guy. Millionaire lifestyle on a salary of $35,000/year (or something like that).

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

When I stayed in Richmond for a week the lowest class car I saw was a C class, I've never seen so many AMG badges in my life.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by QuasarCav
    When I stayed in Richmond for a week the lowest class car I saw was a C class, I've never seen so many AMG badges in my life.
    Half of them are probably rebadged as AMG's.

Originally posted by Hakkola

Half of them are probably rebadged as AMG's.

That proves my point I mentioned earlier, look good in front of others.

EXACTLY. The dealers here in van badge everything as AMG..

LOL@ B200 ///AMG

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Ever want to drive a big F350 super cab (if F350 comes in super cab trim) in Richmond? And double park? I like to see all those rich/"rich" teenagers with their nice car's reaction hahah

But to the op, I know exactly how you feel. When I was down there few years back, I rented a car down there. My friend who lives down there was told to tell me and my friends to hop in their cars... it was sweet to get to ride in a TL-S when they first came out, but now to think about it, it was kinda rude.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast