Quantcast
What is a good motorcycle to start with? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is a good motorcycle to start with?

My Ride
    2001 Silverado, 2004 R6

Originally posted by Spoons
    Suzuki GS500F... you keep with the looks of a super bike, but not all the crazy power. Yet you still have a little bit of juice to keep up to the flow of traffic.
    Agreed, I started on an 04 GS500F and it was a great bike to learn on. It does keep the look of a sport bike if that's what youre going for. It also will keep you in the flow of traffic quite well. Just IMO , your call!

My Ride
    bus

My First bike was an 02 f4i
    i must say it was just perfect, Had enough power and was comfortable too.

My Ride
    1992 Civic Si, 2007 CBR 600RR

my first bike was a 07 cbr 600rr
    Acura Tech
    1989 Honda CRX Si (sold)
    1988 Honda CRX Si B16a Turbo (sold)
    1992 Honda Civic HB Si
    2007 Honda CBR 600RR
    1992 Honda Prelude S
    Friend's Don't Let Friend's Drive Stock.

You can really start on any bike you want. Obviously a 600 would be better than a 1000, but I know many people who have started on a 1000 and done just fine.

If I were to choose ANY bike to start on it would be a Daytona 675. And now that they are a couple years older, you can find some good deals on used ones.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ thanks for the compliment. I have one, (as in my avatar) and I just absolutely love it to bits. Its a FANTASTIC bike, it really is.
    But good luck finding one for sale. Blackfoot has the ONLY used 675 for sale I've ever seen in western Canada. Its a black '07 with 300km's on it. The MSRP on the 675 is $11,999. That used one was $11,400.
    how anybody could drive the bike for 300km's (as in the black one) and not be hooked is beyond me, it really is. The 675 has the most wicked exhaust note short of a Ferrari. Along with the mid-range grunt of a liter bike, yet the handling of a CBR125. (I'm being honest)

its just.... sex on wheels.... I can't explain it.

I've had the bike (brand new right off the blackfoot showroom floor) since June, until early Nov, I put on 12,000km's on it... most people dont put that on their bikes in a decade.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 12-18-2007 at 11:37 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Not sure if your just looking for a sport bike, but I just got my class 6 back in sept and wanted a cruiser.....bought a brand new honda shadow 750, its a great beginner bike, nice cruiser and not too expensive. They had a great sale on them like $2000k off the new 06's. I put over a thousand km's just in september before I put it away.....

As for sport bikes

My Ride
    RX300

cutting in between lanes looks pretty dangerous to me. while cars are stuck in traffic they look like they're flying through doing about 60-70kms i think you gotta be pretty experienced to ride like that.

as for a starter bike, i went with a cbr F4. it's got a sporty look but you sit more up-right, so it's a little easier on the back. you could always buy a 250cc for a starter bike as well. those are always a good choice.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Ninja 650R if you want new,

Older 600 if you want used.

600's are FAST as they are, do NOT go higher no matter what someone tries to up sell you on.

that is my personal opinion obivously, I started on a Honda Enduro 185XL, upgraded to an F4, then got a 1998 Honda Firestorm (1000cc V-Twin, torque as shit and hilariously fun, but scary even for someone with 3 years of riding). So I am no expert but I have ridden a few different machines over the last 4 years
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 12-21-2007 at 06:18 PM.
    Cos...

Just make sure when you get your starter bike you change the sprockets to like -2 front/+5 rear

My Ride
    2007 Benelli TNT Sport

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Splooge
    [B]cutting in between lanes looks pretty dangerous to me. while cars are stuck in traffic they look like they're flying through doing about 60-70kms i think you gotta be pretty experienced to ride like that.

Finally someone gets it!!! The guy is going to learn to ride a bike in LA. On the freeway splitting lanes. It doesn't matter what bike you get you're gonna get in trouble.
    LA freeways are not a place you want to learn to ride in.

Best of luck... seriously.

My Ride
    09' Turbo Cobalt SS

It depends on your level of comfort and maturity. I am a first year rider and am happy with my cbr 600rr. I know people who bought 1000's and got in accidents within a month of ownership and others who are doing just fine. So it really depends at what your comfort level is at.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

my friend just bought a hayabusa for his first bike, I am picking up a 08 blue on goooooold wheels in march, i started on an r1, i rode dirt bikes before hand, and i am large.

If you have ridden dirt bikes or anything before, just go get a 600, or the new kawi 225 or 250 whatever it is if you haven't. i would recommend something light and easy to handle.

My Ride
    F-150 FX4

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    When I lived in LA, I didn't mind the traffic too much. If you're in a car, you'll at least have AC going, and that should do you fine. I'd be more concerned on a bike with the amount of people (thus proportionately, stupid people) on the roads.
    True enough... from what I've heard/experienced (third party) most of the accidents involving bikes are the result of some dumbass in a car/truck not paying attention to wtf they are doing (texting/talking on a cell/reading/putting on makeup/playing with the radio, ect.)

if you are on a bike alot of the time you have the agility to avoid shit.. that said at 250+ your ability to react in time is severely impaired.

Also, man, imo comparing dirtbikes to streetbikes is soo fundamentally flawed... just because you've ridden a dirtbike around a bit doesn't make you a pro at streetbikes...
    Last edited by Concept1; 01-13-2008 at 11:24 PM.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Originally posted by Concept1

if you are on a bike alot of the time you have the agility to avoid shit.. that said at 250+ your ability to react in time is severely impaired.

Also, man, imo comparing dirtbikes to streetbikes is soo fundamentally flawed... just because you've ridden a dirtbike around a bit doesn't make you a pro at streetbikes...
    im going to go with most people aren't riding around at 250+ on public streets and f you are you deserve to die, and also, dirt bike experience is better then bmx experience, you learn how to shift, how to control a bike that weighs more then 20 lbs, no one said you were going to be a pro street rider but experience is better then nothing

I have an 03 gs500 that I got a few years ago to learn on. Great bike to learn on, and too friggin cheap to justify replacing. Insurance is pennies a year, and it goes forever on a tank of gas. It is quick enough to fly around town, and ok on the Highway. Stable and agile.

My Ride
    SC 03 eclipse, 06 TJ,Shadow1100, HD FXSTC, Chopper

If you like cruisers check out a harley sportster 883 or 1200, nice, cheep and easy to ride or learn to ride on.
    Member since 2003.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Well, bullshit aside, a good beginner bike would be a CBR125R.
    Everything you say is completely fucking ______. No offense.
    Last edited by Big Dangerous; 02-13-2008 at 10:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2