Quantcast
Whiplash!!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Whiplash!!!

Default Whiplash!!!

My husband was in the back of a VW Jetta, and they were stopped at a stoplight. A retired police officer wasn't watching what he was doing, and rear-ended them at about 50 kms/hr. My husband has whiplash, horrible back pain, headaches, and a jarred ankle. He can't sleep without the help of Tylenol III...he's in terrible pain and hasn't been able to work since January 24th. He's Latino, and speaks mainly Spanish, very little English. My chiropractor, who has been my doctor for 7 years and I trust like no other, has been trying to convince me to hire a lawyer, because he thinks the insurance company is going to try to screw my husband (he says they do that to anyone who doesn't speak good English).

In the summer, he goes in many tournaments and wins lots of $$$ playing baseball...who knows if he will be able to do that again. He also cannot work because he does janitorial work and the pain won't allow it. This leads me to believe maybe my doc is right and we should seek legal help.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this matter? I'm not out to screw anyone, but we don't want to be forking money out of our own pockets for the rest of our lives, either. Do we go with a lawyer, or try to settle. If we try to settle, what is fair?

I appreciate all advice.
    Thanks
    Last edited by trina; 02-07-2004 at 03:51 AM.

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Definately lawyer time. Your medical expenses could be very high.
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: Whiplash!!!

Originally posted by trina
    My husband was in the back of a VW Jetta, and they were stopped at a stoplight. A retired police officer wasn't watching what he was doing, and rear-ended them at about 50 kms/hr. My husband has whiplash, horrible back pain, headaches, and a jarred ankle. He can't sleep without the help of Tylenol III...he's in terrible pain and hasn't been able to work since January 24th. He's Latino, and speaks mainly Spanish, very little English. My chiropractor, who has been my doctor for 7 years and I trust like no other, has been trying to convince me to hire a lawyer, because he thinks the insurance company is going to try to screw my husband (he says they do that to anyone who doesn't speak good English).

In the summer, he goes in many tournaments and wins lots of $$$ playing baseball...who knows if he will be able to do that again. He also cannot work because he does janitorial work and the pain won't allow it. This leads me to believe maybe my doc is right and we should seek legal help.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this matter? I'm not out to screw anyone, but we don't want to be forking money out of our own pockets for the rest of our lives, either. Do we go with a lawyer, or try to settle. If we try to settle, what is fair?

I appreciate all advice.
    Thanks
    tu estas loca si no empleas un abogado!!

seriamente!

tu estas loca si no empleas un abogado!!
    Muchas gracias...es un situacion muy difficil. Creo que tienes razon...tambien, el medico dijo que mi esposo vaya sufrir mucho en el futuro... Usted conoce un abogado con quien puedemos hablar?

De donde estas?

My Ride
    hearts on fire diamond engagement ring.

wow, all i can say is BLING BLING..
    Solid Gino......

My Ride
    14 Honda Accord

Default whiplash

I was also in the same boat as he is. I was hit 2 1/2 years ago.
    Have a good job and pays very well but demanding physically.
    I'm on and off work for the past few years. Hired a lawyer. At first, I was not interested on the settlement amount. Now, I am on LTD and still dealing with it. My lawyer if you are interested is:
    James D. Cuming. give him a call. First meeting is free. You need
    good and professional advise. My case is still open. His number is: (403)571-0555. I wish LUCK!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I would definately hire a lawyer in this case. They will make sure you don't get screwed. Most injury lawyers do not charge up front, and some even pay for your expenses if you can not afford it (they compensate by charging higher expenses in the end). The average going rate for injury lawyers range from 25%-40% of settlement, depending if you need to be paid in advance for medical expenses.

Some lawyers will convince you to lie. As long as your husband doesn't make up injuries, you will receive a fair settlement. Good luck.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Yeah, unfortunately insurance companies do racial profiling. "If you don't speak good english you must be some immigrant trying to milk the system"

Not everyone needs a lawyer. It depends on how much you know about the system. It sounds like you don't know much, so one is probably advisable.

My advice:
    -keep a diary of pain, $$$ spent, missed work, etc
    -don't settle until you are 100% recovered
    -the insurance company will try to offer you a settlement up front to get rid of you, don't take it.
    -don't sign anything
    -if you feel like the company is bullying you around, get a lawyer.

Thank you so much for all your replies. I will definitely call the numbers of the lawyers given, and have documented everything to date. I will update when the case is settled.

My Ride
    08 IS 250 AWD

Definately lawyer time, get some extra cash from the guy. Especially if he was a cop before :tongue:

My Ride
    335i

My dad works next to a lawyer named Yanko (Yanko and Company).

Fantastic lawyer, will protect you completely from the insurance company negotiators and get you a great settlement.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2Look slk

Originally posted by Loose

My advice:
    -keep a diary of pain, $$$ spent, missed work, etc
    -don't settle until you are 100% recovered
    -the insurance company will try to offer you a settlement up front to get rid of you, don't take it.
    -don't sign anything
    -if you feel like the company is bullying you around, get a lawyer.
    I was in an accident a few years ago. I had really bad whiplash...went through the exact same pain as your husband. For awhile I was actually addicted to the painkillers and I kept a diary of all of my pain.

I settled with my insurance company which I horribly regret.
    Even if your husband recovers, there is a high chance that the back pain will come back in the future. I know I still have bad backpain so I would definitely recommend getting a lawyer.

My Ride
    rubbish

they have a cap on how much you can claim on personal injuries now don't they?

It will become law that you can only get $4000 for pain and suffering, but it hasn't happened yet.