Quantcast
Rollin back the odometer???? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rollin back the odometer????

My Ride
    A Pearl Diamond

Default Rollin back the odometer????

If you find a car for sale and the kms seem too low how can you tell if it's been rolled back??? Is there anyway to find out?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Carfax would give you some info on history. I would find out what dealer the guy used for service, get a service history and look for anything suspicious.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    a wrx.

shaky speedo, how the car feels...

i also like to look at the wear on the drivers seat...

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    shaky speedo, how the car feels...

i also like to look at the wear on the drivers seat...
    also look for wear on the pedals and steering wheel.

My Ride
    WIP

If anything, I'd try and see if there are any service records for that car. I have no idea how you would find them, maybe the registry or even call up a few service depots where the guy has been and see if they are on file. I would assume that they usually keep a record of when the car was serviced, as in how many clicks.
    Other than that, I don't think that there is any way to really tell.

My Ride
    335i

The easiest way to tell is that most numbers don't line up - but thats not the only indicator. Sometimes, a speedometer will shake as it moves up, indicating your speed. This, in turn with the unaligned numbers, is a dead giveaway that the km's have been rolled back. Another way is to check with carfax and your local registries to see whether the vehicle was ever registered with a higher km reading.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    1995 Nissan 240SX

hey how would a speedo's shaking have to do with numbers being rolled back? i dont quite understand the connection here..

max
    240 ka-t

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by EstoMax
    hey how would a speedo's shaking have to do with numbers being rolled back? i dont quite understand the connection here..

max
    when u fuck around with the dash(ie disconnecting it), then shit goes wrong (ie needle getting fucked).

also, if u notice that the speedo needle and the rpm needle dont sync up the same way everytime u drive the car, theres another clue that the dash was tampered with.

lammer Guest

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    when u fuck around with the dash(ie disconnecting it), then shit goes wrong (ie needle getting fucked).

also, if u notice that the speedo needle and the rpm needle dont sync up the same way everytime u drive the car, theres another clue that the dash was tampered with.
    what if your installing indiglo gagues or some shit? does it still wreck your needles moving in sync and thus being called for the "rolled odometer"?

I think newer odo's (obviously non-digital) would produce a red line across the numbers if they are rolled back....not positive on manufaturers or year they started though. Check all the dealerships of the make to find out thru the VIN # if it was ever serviced, compare dates and numbers

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    I think newer odo's (obviously non-digital) would produce a red line across the numbers if they are rolled back....not positive on manufaturers or year they started though. Check all the dealerships of the make to find out thru the VIN # if it was ever serviced, compare dates and numbers
    You'd be surprised. Many manufacturers don't do this. Everytime I go to the wreckers, I take out a gauge cluster and play with the km's. They are surprisingly easy to roll back.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    92SiR, 05B5G, 89KA24

the numbers would not line up perfectly,

Sometimes there is a seal that you would have to break to get at the numbers as well. But unless you knew the seal was there in the first place...
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    94 VW Golf

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    The easiest way to tell is that most numbers don't line up - but thats not the only indicator. Sometimes, a speedometer will shake as it moves up, indicating your speed. This, in turn with the unaligned numbers, is a dead giveaway that the km's have been rolled back. Another way is to check with carfax and your local registries to see whether the vehicle was ever registered with a higher km reading.
    my car does that all the time and i know it hasnt been rolled back

330 000km

and i have a golf that the numbers dont match up because it is on the verge of switching numbers

based on this i dont think you can find out if it has or not

My Ride
    '02 Toyota Tundra

I think my truck they rolled it forward lol ... well that would explain 43k miles in 1 year

Originally posted by StrokeD z
    my car does that all the time and i know it hasnt been rolled back

330 000km

and i have a golf that the numbers dont match up because it is on the verge of switching numbers

based on this i dont think you can find out if it has or not

Most newer cars have the red line through the numbers if you try and fuck with them. Weapon_R says everytime he is at the junkers, he grabs a gauge cluster and plays with the kms, but how many newer cars have you done this with? In fact, I'm not 100% sure for Canada, but there are laws around that require manufacturers to install "anti-cheat" devices, such as the red line, to combat this fraud, which is what it is, criminal fraud.

just a few months ago there was a special on that consumer reports that calgary 7 has at lunch time, and a guy was showing how easy it was to roll back the kms on a truck that was mainly used for driving back and forth from calgary to edmonton. it was like a 99 ford pickup, and the guy said by rolling down the kms with this pickup he could increase the value anywhere from 10-20 grand. so i am sure its possible on newer cars. also, when my dad was looking for a minivan, we went to some fob dealership and we were going to test drive a odyssey, until we noticed the kms were exactly at 100 000.
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

Originally posted by dj_honda
    also, when my dad was looking for a minivan, we went to some fob dealership and we were going to test drive a odyssey, until we noticed the kms were exactly at 100 000.

Doesn't mean that they were tampered with tho, could simply be crazy coincidence

My Ride
    RX

jus wonderin...........what are the fines, if someone does find out that u rolled back the odometer?!?.........or is there even a fine?

so if u bought a car that later on u found out that it has been rolled back...........what do u do?.....jus gotta put up with it or what?

thx

My Ride
    dog sled

Shaky speedo means thats theres a problem in the line to the tranny or the tranny it self, it never has anything to do with the cluste itself

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast