Quantcast
Any high-end component speaker recommendations? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any high-end component speaker recommendations?

Default Any high-end component speaker recommendations?

Anyone here with experience with the following brands of component speakers?

- Dynaudio
    - Morel
    - DLS
    - Focal
    - Hertz

Please comment on them.

Thanks.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I had a pair of DLS UR6's which I really liked a lot. Bass was good enough for a mid range speaker but the tweeters were where the system was the best.

Given the chance again, I'd probably go focal as I'd like a little bit sharper high-frequency sound.

I've heard really good things about Seas as well.

EDIT: I should mention, the reason I decided to go DLS instead of focal was the price. The DLS's I chose were more than 1/2 the cost of the focals I had picked out (which were not the utopias).
    Last edited by msommers; 08-22-2007 at 12:27 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    550i, X5

I heard a set of Focals that were the loudest and clearest speakers ive ever heard. Blew my mind...
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

My Ride
    a wrx.

They all sound very different and everyone's ears prefer a different sound. It seems like most people prefer the "sweetness" of a silk tweeter...but I really like my Focals, which give crisp and detailed highs (some would say they're fatiguing) and the mids are warm and coloured, which again I like, but some people prefer a more studio sound...

Despite this, I'll probably try something different with my next setup. The next speaker I want to try is the Alpine Type X...Vifa (or was it Scanspeak?) drivers, silk ring radiator tweet and a crazy crossover. Maybe with some extended auditioning I'll grow to like silk more...

i have type-X and type-R components in my jetta, they are really good speakers, i love them both. both are raelly clear and have really good bass, the type-X's have a shallower tweeter compared to the type-R ones. but the crossovers for the type-X are HUGE, again comparing them to the type-R.

But if you want to spend a little more money, there is a guy selling some Audio Eurosport components(in the forsale forums here)they are really nice speakers. But its really up to you, if you can try and hear the speakers before you buy some, either in a friends car or even at the store.

just my .02
    you aint dubbin. if you aint rubbin.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

I really like my Focal's, but I've also had a lot of experience with the Hertz as well. Once you start getting into this range, it's in your best interest to listen to a favourite song or three at the store and see how you like them. I found that the Focal's were the best for the blues/rock/jazz that I prefer to listen to about 75% of the time, and did a well enough job on the hard rock and hip hop that I wouldn't mind. The Hertz, to me, rocked with the harder stuff, but it wasn't as bright as I would have liked it for jazz. Really take the time to listen to them and you'll be happy.

Another one you can add is Rainbow. I don't know anybody around here that sells them, but they are bad-ass.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    I want to try is the Alpine Type X...Vifa (or was it Scanspeak?)
    morel actually...

Polk SR = A+

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

From personal experience, and hearing them in quite a few vehicles I like Focal the best, mainly the k2 series... utopias are really nice aswell, but way out of a lot of peoples price range, including mine. I was also very impressed with the Hertz hi-energy, and the mille are quite something aswell.

I think that the best way to know what you like is to hear the music you listen to through the speakers in a vehicle... a soundboard is one thing, but hearing them in a car is an even better test.

My Ride
    Pathfinder

Default focals

I'll second the vote for K2P series focals for the car.

I can say that for home speakers I have enjoyed the following manufacturers products...

Focal(JM labs)
    Dynaudio
    Morel
    Vifa
    Peerless
    Canton
    B&W
    Carver
    Kef
    BA

I'm certain if any of these manufacturers produced car drivers or you chose to use home speakers in the vehicle, you would still have reasonably good results.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by rahim

morel actually...
    I am talking about the SPX-177r. I did some searching, definitely Vifa.

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

Yes, for alpine's SPX-177R, Vifa Actually made the Ring Radiator tweeters as well the woofer.
    However Scanspeak made the drivers for the current F1 status stuff, they were designed after the Scanspeak Revelators.

Too add, in the recent Sept issue of Car Audio & Electronics mag, they did a great review test of 5 different speakers, that included Phoenix gold, Morel's Supremo, Seas Lotus, Hertz Mille MLK165, & I can't remember the last one, but the Hertz were rated the best, and the drivers look amazing.

From experience I have the older Type-X line, and they were great for me, clean, bright from the aluminum tweet but due to the xover it was adjustable extensively. The Ring radiator tweeter from the newer type-x line was better, more accurate, warmer sounding.

Do you have a price range of what your wanting to spend?
    Last edited by hoamic11; 08-24-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Originally posted by hoamic11
    Do you have a price range of what your wanting to spend?
    Not really. Not so much a price range as I'd be willing to pay for quality... something noticeably above my current MB Quarts (that I do really like) that'll blow me away.

My go-to installer up here is recommending a set of Dynaudio (242 GT), but they go for ~$1100 CDN. Not totally out of the question, but that is hard to swallow. If I can find something else of the same level of quality, etc. but for less I might consider that.

Anyway if I'm going to fork out for really awesome components I just want to know as much as I can about what else is on the menu.

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

There honestly is tons out there and well you just gotta look, I'm even looking right now to start switching stuff up and wanting to try. Right now with teh reviews I have read and opinions out there I'm pretty sure I'd like to get my hands on a set of Hertz Mille MLK165's, their the entry level set to the Mille's, but at basically half the price of the MLK2's.

As well the Sea's Lotus Reference line comps look great too, and from guys in the states that have them, the reviews say their outstanding as well. Those are pretty hard to come by as well.

Also, Pioneer's 720PRS comp sets are pretty worth while too, but hard to get your hands on, I know their pretty much b/o from a vendor in BC.

Focal's are a great product and nothing against them but their to rich for my blood, considering the price tags, I would only be able to go with a set of the 165V2 polyglass line, but it's like an extra 2-300 to upgrade to the Polykevlar's line which is what I would like but again I think I would go with something else that does me fine.
    Last edited by hoamic11; 08-24-2007 at 09:25 AM.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by hoamic11
    Yes, for alpine's SPX-177R, Vifa Actually made the Ring Radiator tweeters as well the woofer.
    However Scanspeak made the drivers for the current F1 status stuff, they were designed after the Scanspeak Revelators.
    Upon further searching Vifa acquired Scanspeak in 2000.

Bottom line...I WANNA TRY THESE! They seem like such a wicked deal. Competition grade speakers from renowned makers priced under $300...

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    Upon further searching Vifa acquired Scanspeak in 2000.

Bottom line...I WANNA TRY THESE! They seem like such a wicked deal. Competition grade speakers from renowned makers priced under $300...

Yes the tweeter XT19's from the spx-177r's were on a blowout price from pacparts in the states and I missed out, they are not discontinued. They wouldn't ship to canada but it was a steal of a deal if you got your hands on them.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

anyone try any of eD's products??

My Ride
    1.5JZ Supra

Originally posted by HiSpec
    anyone try any of eD's products??
    Which products are you referring to? Their sound deadener is pretty poor. They're speakers are decent, but nothing amazing. Their amps however are awesome.

Last edited by Your Mom on 02-30-2010 at 12:30 AM

I got a set of ed's 6500's when they were 250, they are cdt's, they even have cdt's name on them... Now they want 375, I don't think I'd go for them at that price.. they are good, but having once paid 250, I'd be looking to only pay that again, should I want another set...

My Ride
    1.5JZ Supra

What model CDT are they rebranding? The CLs?

Last edited by Your Mom on 02-30-2010 at 12:30 AM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast