Quantcast
Calgarians, Deal With It! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgarians, Deal With It!

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Calgarians, Deal With It!

Alright, this is a bit of a rant, so bear with me.

Every time something tragic happens in Calgary there are always a slough of posts from beyonders to the effect of "Oh noes, what is this city coming to?" Alright, time for a realtiy check.

Calgary is a big city. Over a million people call Calgary home, and geographically it is one of the largest cities in Canada. Hundreds of millions of dollars of business go on every single day, and though the economy experienced a period of super-inflated growth, it is starting to level off into something that is sustainable. That's all good.

But along with the good comes the bad. There will always be poor, uneducated, unfortunate people. There will always be crime, hate, and animosity. That's what happens in large cities. The fact is that Calgary is a safe place to live, but the attitude of Calgarians needs to change. I'm sorry to say it, but you can't go beaking off to everyone anymore, because times have changed and so has the city.

Calgary has a lot to offer you, but shit does and will continue to happen. If you can't deal with it, move to Red Deer. All of the major cities in Canada are starting to experience the same kind of tragedies and crime that Calgary is experiencing.

So, that's it. Deal with it. Shit will happen. It's unfortunate, but let's get real here: Calgary experiences less than 30 gun-related murders a year, and we're talking a city and surrounding area with a population exceeding 1.1 million people. Seems like good odds to me.

/rant

My Ride
    T MR2

I couldn't agree more, well said sir.

My Ride
    Jasons mom

Agreed.

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

I usually compare this to Montreal where I spent 10 years of my life and we are doing pretty decent here.

I guess I've just become somewhat immune to it over time.

If you don't hang out in bad spots, are not a shady person and don't run after trouble you'll be fine

unless you're REALLY unlucky

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

that's right, we will deal with it, in efforts to stop the crime in the city so that we can all be safe.

it has been proven many times over that posting on here can solve crimes.

I am not going to DEAL WITH IT and let it slide just because of the excuse oh we are a big city now, like it makes it all better.

the tone of this post seems to me that, oh well, it is gonna happen anyways, might as well look the other way.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

Originally posted by spikers
    that's right, we will deal with it, in efforts to stop the crime in the city so that we can all be safe.

it has been proven many times over that posting on here can solve crimes.

I am not going to DEAL WITH IT and let it slide just because of the excuse oh we are a big city now, like it makes it all better.

the tone of this post seems to me that, oh well, it is gonna happen anyways, might as well look the other way.
    Yea bud, that's what was said

I'm not saying to stop posting on beyond. I'm saying to quit claiming that the sky is falling every time something happens. It's as if your safety is so uncertain that people are afraid to walk down the street, and you seem to be one of those people that would run for the hills if something happened in your neighborhood.

The reality is that Calgary IS A BIG CITY WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. Don't complain about how bad the city is getting every time something happens- maybe instead of complaining you should take proactive steps in DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I agree with you for the most part here. The things that are happening in our city are inevitable and from here on in will never decline.

I have however, lived here my entire life. The whole attitude of Calgary has changed drastically. Maybe it's just me, but the generic persona of a Calgarians seem selfish, needy, complaining about everything and don't bother help each other in the fact that they need to better themselves over someone else. Obviously, and I'd like to repeat this, obviously this ISN'T everyone so don't bitch to me, this is entirely my perspective. A city can grow large but that doesn't mean people have to turn into dicks. Maybe some can't cope with change...who knows.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon

Hear hear, OP.
    keegan
    - 1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Well I guess if we can't stop it and it's happening everywhere then we must lose hope and give up...

My Ride

Originally posted by old&slow
    Well I guess if we can't stop it and it's happening everywhere then we must lose hope and give up...
    Read the thread and then reply, kay?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

can we make you stop posting on beyond too?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride

Originally posted by finboy
    can we make you stop posting on beyond too?
    Nope. I'm here to stay

My Ride
    is hella cheap.

I come from Winnipeg and I'm used to hearing news like this. I think it was 2003 or 2004 where there was a murder every other weekend for the entire year. Winnipeg's people didn't go crazy and start hiding in their homes, instead, the Government stiffened up their laws and crime went down.

My Ride

Originally posted by reno97637
    I come from Winnipeg and I'm used to hearing news like this. I think it was 2003 or 2004 where there was a murder every other weekend for the entire year. Winnipeg's people didn't go crazy and start hiding in their homes, instead, the Government stiffened up their laws and crime went down.
    Exactly. Instead of complaining about what the city is coming to, take proactive steps within your community to make a difference. Complaining that the city has gone to hell will do nothing to change it.

good post i agree with ya there... i've lived here all my life as well, and although the city has changed, and there are more and more violent crimes, it does not make it a bad city... nor does it mean that calgary is going to shit...

This is what happens in a growing city... we do not have it as bad as TO, or Montreal, or even Vancouver...

A790 is simply trying to say that even if and when bad things happen, it doesn't make calgary a bad or dangerous city to live in. and a lot of the posts that are made are a little over board... MOST the violent crimes that happen here, are for the most part are targeted crimes and happen to people that are involved in bad stuff... So when people post, "OMG what has our city come to??? I'm moving to a smaller town!!" It seems kind of ridiculous at times to read posts like that because most of the violent crimes will probably never effect the people posting stuff like that, unless you are directly involved in that shit... that's just my 2 cents...

My Ride

Originally posted by Jayson
    good post i agree with ya there... i've lived here all my life as well, and although the city has changed, and there are more and more violent crimes, it does not make it a bad city... nor does it mean that calgary is going to shit...

This is what happens in a growing city... we do not have it as bad as TO, or Montreal, or even Vancouver...

A790 is simply trying to say that even if and when bad things happen, it doesn't make calgary a bad or dangerous city to live in. and a lot of the posts that are made are a little over board... MOST the violent crimes that happen here, are for the most part are targeted crimes and happen to people that are involved in bad stuff... So when people post, "OMG what has our city come to??? I'm moving to a smaller town!!" It seems kind of ridiculous at times to read posts like that because most of the violent crimes will probably never effect the people posting stuff like that, unless you are directly involved in that shit... that's just my 2 cents...
    Exactly.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

word, the people who whine the most about crime usually the ones least affected and have the least to worry about.

All the stabbings, shootings, gang violence incidents have been going on for years, and I know that some of the guys here have been in the game and grown up in it, but the people who haven't experienced shit seem to do all the whining.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '11 Honda RL '21 RDX '96 Civic Hatch

It's the media that's trying to scare people. If you look at the stats we're a pretty safe city.

My Ride
    2000 323i

Originally posted by reno97637
    That's why I'm rather de-sensitized myself. I moved from North End Winnipeg in 98 (right on the border with West Kildonan area). Brutal brutal brutal. Calgary has less total murders than Winnipeg yearly I believe. Per capita, Winnipeg is much, MUCH worse. Winnipeg isn't the bottom of the barrel either. That said, don't hesitate to post useful info about crimes.
    Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast