Quantcast
Job hunting is hard! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Job hunting is hard!

My Ride
    08 GSR

Originally posted by boredengineer

What was your GPA like? I graduated in May as well except I was hired in February(Not the company I did my internship with)... I applied for ~10 jobs and got 7 interviews. I was employed before I even had proof of graduating or my iron ring. A lot of the people whom I know that didn't get a job in engg right off the bat missed the hiring frenzy during the end of winter/start of spring. Most of them wanted to take the summer off or go traveling. I will agree with you though the market is not nearly as hot as people like to say for new engg grads. It still does take time and patience to find a decent job. Of the people that I know in engg all but one is now hired. Most of them recently got a job this last month.
    Yeah my GPA isn't the greatest like around 2.5-2.6 ish, I think that's what screwed me on second interview. The interview went good I thought and just went all down hill once I sent them my transcript. I think it kinda depends on the department as well, there weren't that many electrical/computer jobs compared to like chemical/oil&gas/mech, civil, gemoatics jobs. I think all my friends that are in chem all have jobs before they even finished school. What department did you graduate from?

Originally posted by V6-BoI

Yeah my GPA isn't the greatest like around 2.5-2.6 ish, I think that's what screwed me on second interview. The interview went good I thought and just went all down hill once I sent them my transcript. I think it kinda depends on the department as well, there weren't that many electrical/computer jobs compared to like chemical/oil&gas/mech, civil, gemoatics jobs. I think all my friends that are in chem all have jobs before they even finished school. What department did you graduate from?
    Try writting down only your 4th year GPA? I donno but 2.5 is sorta low especially if that is what you got in 4th year. I graduated from EE/ENSF and I do work on embedded devices so pretty much a ENCM job. Most of the ENSF class is employed last I checked though.

My Ride
    94' Terd

Originally posted by V6-BoI

If your GPA is lower, and you have little to no experience, it will be very hard for you to crack into the market.

Someone else mentioned and internship and had 10 interviews etc etc.

It's all about experience, or a solid GPA, otherwise, be patient.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Oh I guess I forgot to mention that I had internship as well. I would go back to my old internship company, but they closed down their calgary office and relocated the R&D department back to Boston, so I got the screw job on that part.

Yeah 2.5 ish is pretty shitty, I did better in fourth year, got like a 3.1 or so. I don't even put my GPA on my resume though unless the company asks.

You might wanna consider applying at Marks Staffing. They could usually find work for you in 2-3 days.

My Ride
    Mom-van

Lots of jobs at my work as well... and they'd rather hire externally. They pretty much refuse to hire internally. It's nice to be able to get in, but don't expect to go anywhere.... they enjoy effing people over.
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    Jasons mom

Old&slow: are you a welder?

Why waste your time searching for a job when you can get on with a placement agency and let them find you work. Diversified has an industial/trades division as well an office division. 237-5577

My Ride

divsersified only offers $12/hr for 95% of their labour jobs. I needed a temp job for only 2 weeks and I looked around, not many staffing agencies pay well.

Originally posted by l8braker
    Why waste your time searching for a job when you can get on with a placement agency and let them find you work.
    For some reason I doubt they are going to be able to place someone from engineering who is looking to work in a specific field... Staffing agencies are fine if you want a run of the mill trades/office monkey job. You are *NOT* going to be placed if you are looking to do FPGA/PLC/PCB work.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Originally posted by ca18det240sx
    Affirmative!

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by ca18det240sx

Originally posted by old&slow

Affirmative!

what's wrong with rig type of welding jobs??? I see tons of portable welders driving F350, 3500, fully loaded, lifted, turbo diesel kits, 36" tires, etc... looks like there're plenty of jobs in that field?

My Ride
    Jasons mom

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

what's wrong with rig type of welding jobs??? I see tons of portable welders driving F350, 3500, fully loaded, lifted, turbo diesel kits, 36" tires, etc... looks like there're plenty of jobs in that field?
    There are plenty of jobs like that IF you have your own truck and want to go down to fort mac. There is work in calgary tho, but again, big money is if you have your own truck.

Old&slow: What kind of money are you looking for? Are you a journeyman? I know of a few shops that are hiring in airdrie, and my shop is hiring, but it aint exactly top notch wages...but its not a bad deal either. If you want to reply in PM go for it.

Originally posted by boredengineer

For some reason I doubt they are going to be able to place someone from engineering who is looking to work in a specific field... Staffing agencies are fine if you want a run of the mill trades/office monkey job. You are *NOT* going to be placed if you are looking to do FPGA/PLC/PCB work.
    My post was for the OP as he is in welding (trades) and not engineering.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2