Quantcast
Funding for faith based schools - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: To what degree should faith based schools be funded by taxpayer dollars?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all. Only public school should receive government funding.

70 61.40%
  • The status quo: Catholic schools receive government funding, all other faith based schools do not.

23 20.18%
  • All faith based schools should be funded by the government.

21 18.42%
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Funding for faith based schools

Default Funding for faith based schools

Ok so right now taxpayer money is funding Catholic schools, but not other faith based schools. Just wondering what you guys think your tax dollars should go to.

Personally, I would very strongly like to see the government cease all funding for Catholic and all other faith based schools. If you want a 'designer education', pay for it yourself... there's no reason why the rest of us should pay for it.

Is there a way to ensure my property tax doesn't go towards funding Catholic schools? I would really like to have that done, and heard it was possible.
    Last edited by Super_Geo; 08-23-2007 at 03:16 PM.

My Ride
    ////M

The majority of your time spent in a Catholic school has nothing to do with the "designer" religion. I went to a Catholic high school and we had a 1 hour class once a week ("Religion class") and that was it, the rest was the same as my friends at the public school
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

I thought the standards were higher and stricter code of conduct and stuff like that?

My Ride
    ////M

I don't think so, the only reason I went there instead of the public school down the street was because I was a nerd and did the IB program, which was the only school in town that offered it. I went to public school from grade 1 to 9, and the change from 9 to 10 was not drastic by any means
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

Originally posted by Euro_Trash
    The majority of your time spent in a Catholic school has nothing to do with the "designer" religion. I went to a Catholic high school and we had a 1 hour class once a week ("Religion class&quot and that was it, the rest was the same as my friends at the public school
    'Designer education' as in something that isn't the norm, and that the rest of society needs to make changes to accomodate. Most non-Catholics have no reason to send their kids to a Catholic school over a public school (unless there's a huge difference in quality of education or something down those lines)... really, only the Catholic people have any vested interest in that.

So that being the case, why are we all paying for these schools? I don't want one cent of my tax dollars going to pay for Catholic schools when the public system needs more funding as it is.

My Ride
    ////M

Please see my 2nd post for a reason for a non-Catholic to go a Catholic school (IB program). Obviously this does not work in every (or most) cases, but a lot of people I go to the U with also went to a Catholic school for high school with the belief that the overall education standards are higher than at a public school

My Ride
    '72 Volvo 1800E / '11 Escape

ah but Euro, you did have that one hour class each week.
    And thats all they care about. Sure, maybe it didn't take on you and turn you into a rosary swinging catholic, but if they can even a 1% conversion rate, and have the public funding it to boot, well what a success!!

The funding and acceptance of catholic "public" schools is ridiculous, for exactly the reason being asked. What about a Jewish "public" school, a Hindu "public" school or an Islamic "public" school, all of which receive public funds while getting in their one hour conversion seminars. By the standards we hold catholic schools to, there is no excuse not to be having them.

Which would then create segregated schooling as those already of those religions would ensure their children go to them to ensure they don't get exposed to those evil other religions in the dirty evil generic public schools.

Our public schools should be generic, they should be funded out the wazoo, and they should ALL be funded enough to be considered excellent sources of education.

gee...wonder which side of the poll I voted on....touched a nerve there....
    2006 Edmonton Indy - Heatstroke
    2007 Vegas Grand Prix - Fremont awesomeness
    2010 Montreal Grand Prix - Section 11!
    2011 Edmonton Indy - Mudfest
    2012 Nascar Autoclub 400 - Convinced I attract rain....
    2016 Spa & Monza. Ya baby!

My Ride
    Highlander

Kids can be taught religion at home if it is important to them or the parents, I'm all for public funding only going to public schools.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Melinda
    Kids can be taught religion at home if it is important to them or the parents, I'm all for public funding only going to public schools.
    +1.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind the people who are saying that only Catholic schools should receive funding... not trying to flame you guys, but I am completely ignorant of the reasoning behind that school of thought.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I think that Education is the priority here, not religion. The people who are supporting only public education are missing that. I went to a Catholic school from grades 1-6, and then public from 7-12, and the difference between the two was marginal.

I think that the government should provide funding for all schools, regardless of faith, in the hopes that those schools are able to pass down a worthwhile and high quality education. Why would our society ever want anything otherwise?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by malbadon
    ah but Euro, you did have that one hour class each week.
    And thats all they care about. Sure, maybe it didn't take on you and turn you into a rosary swinging catholic, but if they can even a 1% conversion rate, and have the public funding it to boot, well what a success!!

The funding and acceptance of catholic "public" schools is ridiculous, for exactly the reason being asked. What about a Jewish "public" school, a Hindu "public" school or an Islamic "public" school, all of which receive public funds while getting in their one hour conversion seminars. By the standards we hold catholic schools to, there is no excuse not to be having them.

Which would then create segregated schooling as those already of those religions would ensure their children go to them to ensure they don't get exposed to those evil other religions in the dirty evil generic public schools.

Our public schools should be generic, they should be funded out the wazoo, and they should ALL be funded enough to be considered excellent sources of education.

gee...wonder which side of the poll I voted on....touched a nerve there....
    With all due respect, I think that you took an inch a bit too far there.

I believe that you're missing the point of Catholic education- there aren't 1 hour "conversion" seminars. Your family has to have some kind of religious background for you to even be allowed to attend the school, and as you may expect, the one hour class is educational, not conversion focused. I am not a Christian today, and I will freely tell you that what I learned in the one hour class was little more than information that was from the bible. It was essentially reinforcing their beliefs.

I do agree that more schools should be created for other faiths, should those faiths wish them to be there. It's not about "shielding" your kids from the "evils" of society, but rather keeping them in an environment that shares the same beliefs and values. If there were a Hindu, Buddhist, or Islamic school around I'm willing to bet that it'd be packed full of kids. The onus here isn't on the Catholic school system, but rather the community to make the changes that they need.

I do agree with your last point as well, but in a different context than what you implied. All schools, regardless of "faith", should be funded well so that the students are well cared for and have the best opportunities available to them.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the faith is- we all still occupy and live in Canada.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Not sure about there, but here you can direct which system your tax money goes to afaik. I know mine go into the public system. It would be a cold day in hell before a single cent of my hard earned money ever went to those cocksuckers (of the altar boy kind).
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

^ i think thats possible here too, but anybody know how?

Last edited by kaput; 03-27-2019 at 12:43 AM.

Here in Okotoks you choose where you're tax money goes. The town sends a notice asking which school you support and that's where the money goes. Even though I'm a public school supporter, I like the fact that people have a choice and that the school system your kids use is the one that gets your money.
    You don't wanna race me.... you've seen taillights like mine a thousand times!!!!

RIP T.T. Feb 09 2004

My Ride
    GTI

I think funding should go to ALL schools, even private ones. However, I don't believe Catholic schools should recieve any money if there are schools for other religions that do not recieve funding.

My Ride
    Upass

I had a temp job with the city this summer, and yes in Calgary you also have a choice of where you want your tax money to go. I dont know for sure how or when you got the forms, but I think it was when people took possesion of their homes? so if you were renting a basement suite or something you wouldnt get one, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure thats how it worked. The form asked for the home owners names, percentage of ownership, whether or not you were of the catholic faith, and where you wanted your money to go.

My Ride
    2004 Lotus Esprit

Religion and education do not go hand in hand. Catholic, or any other faith-based 'school' should receive $0 annually.
    Last edited by creeper; 08-23-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    I'd like to hear the reasoning behind the people who are saying that only Catholic schools should receive funding... not trying to flame you guys, but I am completely ignorant of the reasoning behind that school of thought.
    +1. I can't even imagine an answer other than "because Catholics are right!" or "because all them other churches are full of foreigners"

Prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast