Quantcast
Home Security Systems - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Home Security Systems

My Ride
    X3

Question Home Security Systems

Can anyone recommend any good home security providers that charge a reasonable amount? I've heard of ADT, and that American one... Brinks, I believe it is, but that's it. I know ADT claims they are the #1 in home security systems in North America.

Does anyone know if the other ones (e.g. Paladin Security, Vox Com, Reliance, etc.) are just as effective?

Home security systems share a lot in common, there's usually one or two distinguishing factors for each company. Call them gimmicks if you like. Some will have radio signal backup in case an intruder cuts your phone line, most have battery backup in case your power goes out, some have the "voice" system where you don't need to use the phone, if the alarm goes off an intercom system links you to the monitoring company. Deciding on a brand usually comes down to monitoring price, install price, and features that you feel you will need. Other than the gimmicks mentioned above, most alarms will offer motion sensors, door sensors, window breach bars for the basements, etc. All pretty standard stuff. Like most things, it comes down to what you want, and how much you want to pay. Long term, the factor that will affect you costs the most is monthly monitoring fees. Also, its worth noting that if your alarm automatically notifies the cops / fire dept / ambulance in case of fire, your home insurance will usually see a small discount.

Hope that help.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Just get yourself a big steel dog dish, run it halfway through a shredder after beating it with a hammer for awhile, an old chewed boot, and a few 5lb dog turds from some St Bernard somewhere for your front lawn.

Leave the boot and the dish on your doorstep with a note taped to the door.

"Bill, tried to feed the dog 3 days ago, but he almost got me. I left the toilet seat up so he'd have something to drink. He's probably hungry now. - Jeff"

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    X3

Originally posted by SigmaRacing
    Home security systems share a lot in common, there's usually one or two distinguishing factors for each company. Call them gimmicks if you like. Some will have radio signal backup in case an intruder cuts your phone line, most have battery backup in case your power goes out, some have the "voice" system where you don't need to use the phone, if the alarm goes off an intercom system links you to the monitoring company. Deciding on a brand usually comes down to monitoring price, install price, and features that you feel you will need. Other than the gimmicks mentioned above, most alarms will offer motion sensors, door sensors, window breach bars for the basements, etc. All pretty standard stuff. Like most things, it comes down to what you want, and how much you want to pay. Long term, the factor that will affect you costs the most is monthly monitoring fees. Also, its worth noting that if your alarm automatically notifies the cops / fire dept / ambulance in case of fire, your home insurance will usually see a small discount.

Hope that help.

Thanks! That does help.

@ codetrap.

Frontline Security uses Voxcom and I've been nothing but happy with their professionalism and customer service in their set up and installs.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by codetrap
    Just get yourself a big steel dog dish, run it halfway through a shredder after beating it with a hammer for awhile, an old chewed boot, and a few 5lb dog turds from some St Bernard somewhere for your front lawn.

Leave the boot and the dish on your doorstep with a note taped to the door.

"Bill, tried to feed the dog 3 days ago, but he almost got me. I left the toilet seat up so he'd have something to drink. He's probably hungry now. - Jeff"

that's funny but has some truth to it. About 5 years ago there was a rash of brek-ins on our street. Out of the 5 homes broken into 3 had alarms but none of them had dogs. The homes on both sides of mine were broken into...we had big dog crap in the back yard.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Originally posted by D. Dub
    Frontline Security uses Voxcom and I've been nothing but happy with their professionalism and customer service in their set up and installs.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm in the market right now.

Frontline is $30.95/month, free equipment and install.
    (3 door contacts, 1 keypad, 1 motion detector) window contacts are $65/each.

I called ADT this morning and they're coming tomorrow to give me an estimate, but they are $33.99/month.

I called Chubb, and they haven't called me back yet.

Any other recommendations?!?!

Thanks

ADT and Voxcom are the top 2 apparently

i have an ADT alarm in my home (please note im 18 and live with my parents). there is a motion detector in all the main rooms and an alarm on all the windows and doors... the system has a battery back up and both of the Keypads in my house are wireless so if someone rips them out of the wall it wont do anything.

ADTs computers will flash if the phone line is cut because it transmits a constant signal giving its status and the alarm will go off... it automatically notifies the police and i have the system linked to my fire alarms so it automatically notifies the fire guys if there is smoke in the house.

that said... it isnt too bad monthly... the shitty part is if there ever is a false alarm in your house you get charged like 150 bucks or somthing like that... IMHO its worth it plus we save a good chunk of money on the insurance.

Good to know, thanks!

I wonder if having VOIP for phone will effect service at all.

Anyone here use AlarmForce? they seem to have really good rates and they have the intercom setup instead of a phone call back on alarms. I'm not sure about their customer service however...

My Ride
    6.2L V8 AMG

I'm using United Alarms ...
    $20 a month ... Free equipment / Free installation ...

Everything I expected + more ... 403-880-8887

My Ride
    X3

I think I'm going to try VoxCom. I found out that if you have an AMA membership, you get a discount.

From the AMA website (http://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg/am...=tsr#Offer2652)

VOXCOM Security Systems
    Savings
    Receive 50% off an Essential Secure Home package which provides protection against intrusion, along with a complimentary smoke and fire or flood sensor. Receive up to $50.00 towards your AMA membership renewal fee or new membership.

A three-year protection plan at $30.95 per month plus applicable taxes applies
    AMA reference must be made at time of sale
    Cannot be combined with any other special offers

I can hook u up with a friend i do business with. He's from Voxcom. He hooks up all my referrals with free equip if u sign for 3 years ..?
    PM me , i'll give u his number

The thing I heard about VoxCom is that they have a lot of hidden fees, like if you ever want to change your info for some reason, they charge you an admin fee.

ADT came last night and they are rediculously over priced. $650 for the basic package that most others give away and they want $38.99/month for monitoring.

I'm looking into Armax, they are $29.99/month and my boss says they use ADT for monitoring and they gave him ADT signs.

What I expect in a basic package is at least 3 door contacts, 2 motion, keypad, siren, smoke/heat, battery backup.

Originally posted by phreezee
    The thing I heard about VoxCom is that they have a lot of hidden fees, like if you ever want to change your info for some reason, they charge you an admin fee.
    My buddy has always been up front with me, if he was doing that to my customers, i wouldn't use him. But, ask him upfront about that.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Originally posted by phreezee

ADT came last night and they are rediculously over priced. $650 for the basic package that most others give away and they want $38.99/month for monitoring.

I'm looking into Armax, they are $29.99/month and my boss says they use ADT for monitoring and they gave him ADT signs.

What I expect in a basic package is at least 3 door contacts, 2 motion, keypad, siren, smoke/heat, battery backup.
    weird i have adt... and the basic package was free with free install, i just got it early this summer