Quantcast
Using Cdn Debit cards in the US. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using Cdn Debit cards in the US.

Default Using Cdn Debit cards in the US.

I'm going to the states for a bit and was wondering if I can use my Royal Bank debit card in the US, instead of having to exchange currency.

My Ride
    550i, X5

yep, i used mine at the strippers in texas...a few times. haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

i wouldnt rely on it, i was only able to use my RBC bank card at a gas station while i was in seattle/portland, use your cc or get cash converted thats all i can say

My Ride
    550i, X5

Well, mine is a TD bank card...but I had no problems
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

TD debit card gave us a better rate than our Visa last month, but we also had to pay an extra ~$5 per transaction.

My RBC card has worked in ALL of the U.S ,AUS, Egypt , blah blah.. Of course its gunna work! Debit cards work all around the world , just go to an ATM and take moola out!

I usually call the back and VISA to tell them im going somewhere , dont want a freeze on your card.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Thank you. Splendid.

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
    My RBC card has worked in ALL of the U.S ,AUS, Egypt , blah blah.. Of course its gunna work! Debit cards work all around the world , just go to an ATM and take moola out!

I usually call the back and VISA to tell them im going somewhere , dont want a freeze on your card.
    sure you can withdraw money, but i dont think point of sale works

i think as long as it has cirrus/ plus behind your debit card, it should be able to draw cash at atms overseas just that you need to bear the interest rates stated by the respective banks

My Ride
    04 Acura TL

depnds on the card and whether it is point of sale or ATM. Mine did not work for either in buffalo and i'm with rbc.

My Ride
    impreza

Originally posted by JAYMEZ

Debit cards should work around the world as long as you have a 4-digit pin. As far as I know anyways....

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

yup you just need a 4 digit pin as that is all the US accepts, you will be dinged 3-5 bucks byt the bank each time you use it at ATM's and stuff however

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Search the RBC website for the answers:

In General:
    Worldwide Access – RBC Royal Bank Client Cards are widely accepted in the U.S and around the world at ATMs that display the PLUS* System symbol, providing you with quick and convenient access to your Canadian dollar accounts. You can also use your Client Card to make point-of-sale (debit) purchases at any of the 1,000,000 merchants in the United States that use the NYCE# Network.

Specifically for shopping in the US:
    http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products...der-debit.html

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

make sure you have room on your creditcard and try to use your debit, and if it doesnt work use the credit. all i know is i had one hell of a time trying to get them to accept my debit card, pissed me right the fuck off, they kept looking at me like i was dumb.

Even when i handed them my visa they would ask if its debit or credit...

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by SunniSunShine
    ...all i know is i had one hell of a time trying to get them to accept my debit card, pissed me right the fuck off, they kept looking at me like i was dumb.

Even when i handed them my visa they would ask if its debit or credit...
    US has debit/credit hybrid cards. They use it like debit where possible, and use it like a credit card too.

Good idea to notify your credit card company that you are travelling south, if its rare occurance. First trip with my new card last year had it freezing as soon as i go over a $1000/day or multiple purchases in the same day.
    Last edited by Godfuader; 08-24-2007 at 02:44 PM.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

I live in the US and this is how it works here:

Use your Check Card at the ATM:
    You get all the capabilities of an ATM card —get cash, transfer funds and make deposits at ATMs.

Use your Check Card for purchases:
    You can also use it at millions of locations where Visa® debit cards are accepted including grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations — even for Internet and phone purchases.

Debit or credit?
    When retailers ask you if you want to pay for your purchase with debit or credit, you have two options.
    You can simply sign for your purchase like a credit card. You must press the “Credit” button and sign for your purchases if you wish to earn rewards points in one of the optional Rewards programs.
    You can use your PIN at participating retailers. To get cash back when you make a purchase, you must press the "Debit" or "ATM" button on the retailer’s terminal then enter your PIN.1

My Ride
    2010 GTR

The trick is to look at the back of your card

you will see a bunch of symbols such as

Interac, Plus., cirrus, maestro....etc

Then look at the machine and if you see the same symbol you are good to go
    --------"On the 8th Day God Created Turbo"-------------
    94 NSX SuperCharged
    08 GSXR 750
    08 STI *****SOLD****
    02 S54 Mcoupe****SOLD****
    94 T78 SUPRA ****SOLD****
    04 SUBARU WRX STI (STOCK) **SOLD**

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

I've had issues using my debit card in the states.

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

I just drove through North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, West virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia this week. I'm actually in Atlanta right now and in every state I could not use my debit card to make purchases at any retailer. Plus at one of the gas stations in South Carolina there was a detective investigating fraud, one of the cashiers swiped a guy's card information and tried to book a ticket to Cali. The only way I could access my money was to go to a random ATM and withdraw cash.

And that was with both RBC and TD debit cards.
    Originally posted by adamc
    you can pretty much skip over any posts that have no punctuation, as a general rule of thumb.

Wal-Mart in Phoenix would not take mine at all. Make sure you have some spare cash or access to an ATM.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast