Quantcast
Good BMW Mechanics - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Good BMW Mechanics

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Personally i think its a design flaw for cold climates, battery is in the floor of the trunk so it literally never thaws in the winter unless you park it in a heated parkade. No shit the battery isn't going to charge properly at -25C and will degrade quickly. At least most cars the engine heat thaws it out a bit so it can build a charge while you drive.

Though it has admittedly never actually not started.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

After owning my X5 for two years (and selling it a few months ago, thankfully) I'll never buy another bmw. I'd rather drive something based completely on reliability.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by killramos
    Personally i think its a design flaw for cold climates, battery is in the floor of the trunk so it literally never thaws in the winter unless you park it in a heated parkade. No shit the battery isn't going to charge properly at -25C and will degrade quickly. At least most cars the engine heat thaws it out a bit so it can build a charge while you drive.

Do you throw your car on a tender while its parked in your garage?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I do not, but I should. Especially now that I have a new battery.

I DD it so it isn't usually an issue. But below -20 or so I start getting the nasty messages.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by rx7boi

Damn

I was actually looking at some 328i as well.

Time to buy a civic and live the regular life.......lol
    lol that's my plan to live the regular life now. It was fun while it lasted.

We have next gen Beyond Ballers to step up.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    G37X

Is that for weight dist? Or just to be funky and German?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think so. Also makes room in engine bay. No spare back there so it's an easy relocation. Still think it's not a bright idea.

fact.

My Ride
    LNF

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Is that for weight dist? Or just to be funky and German?
    It is for weight distribution.. Lots of american cars have the battery in the trunk. I have two cars (GM) with the batteries in the trunk and neither of them have specific issues related to the battery being in the trunk. In fact, it is easier to access the battery if i need to replace it.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Not to call anyone out, but BMW places the battery in the rear right wheel well area for Weight distribution.

A charged battery can also go to -70c, and only to -10c completely discharged before it fully freezes.

BMW batteries don't last very long due to the nature of the BMW control modules power consumption.
    A car sitting with the key in and engine off, can draw as much as 40 amps, this in turn causes harsh charge and discharge cycles which leads to plate sulphation, and dramatically reduces its life.
    For comparison most cars draw about 30-35 amps while running, in those instances the alternator takes care of the electrical load, and allows the battery to act a buffer.

BMW modules all act like mini computers, they all have their own processor, and programmed lines of logic. Each module may draw up to 2 amps of power, but being that some BMW cars have over 100 individual modules, the power consumption really adds up.
    Almost all other automobiles modules work off an eprrom logic chip, which uses far less power.

One of things you can do to increase battery life in a Beemer is to buy the biggest battery available for the car, and also make sure its an AGM.
    Some cars are starting to come with NiFe Batteries, but require its own charge control, and are pretty expensive.

Ford was also shipping out Li-ion batteries on some of the transits as well, but because of shipping regulations, you can't buy them form the dealer.

It was mentioned, but it is a really good idea to use a trickle charger overnight, and especially if you don't plan to use you vehicle for a few days.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea mines a giant AGM. New M3/4 are LiIon if I remember correctly.

I know I should use a charger at least in the cold. Will look into picking up one of the new CTeK ones (which the BMW charger is just a rebrand of).

It helps that I don't use the start stop function but the alternator still decouples a ton on these efficient dynamics cars.

fact.

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    Not to call anyone out, but BMW places the battery in the rear right wheel well area for Weight distribution.

A charged battery can also go to -70c, and only to -10c completely discharged before it fully freezes.

BMW batteries don't last very long due to the nature of the BMW control modules power consumption.
    A car sitting with the key in and engine off, can draw as much as 40 amps, this in turn causes harsh charge and discharge cycles which leads to plate sulphation, and dramatically reduces its life.
    For comparison most cars draw about 30-35 amps while running, in those instances the alternator takes care of the electrical load, and allows the battery to act a buffer.

BMW modules all act like mini computers, they all have their own processor, and programmed lines of logic. Each module may draw up to 2 amps of power, but being that some BMW cars have over 100 individual modules, the power consumption really adds up.
    Almost all other automobiles modules work off an eprrom logic chip, which uses far less power.

One of things you can do to increase battery life in a Beemer is to buy the biggest battery available for the car, and also make sure its an AGM.
    Some cars are starting to come with NiFe Batteries, but require its own charge control, and are pretty expensive.

Ford was also shipping out Li-ion batteries on some of the transits as well, but because of shipping regulations, you can't buy them form the dealer.

It was mentioned, but it is a really good idea to use a trickle charger overnight, and especially if you don't plan to use you vehicle for a few days.
    Not making a case for modern BMWs here. Given the advancements that competitors have made in the markeplace on BMW in recent years (ATS-V vs M cars, for instance), a lot of this stuff is inexcusable.

A wise man once told me to never knock another man's hustle. I usually extend that to not knocking other peoples' cars. But...

Also, the weight distribution thing: our GL350 also hs the battery in the back. And that thing is so heavy you could probably sit a water buffalo on the hood and not make an appreciable difference in distribution. (Also, if these batteries are so heavy, then I would think that putting on on the SIDE in the back would also cause issues.) I think it's probably more of a packaging thing. How much do the cables weight to get the connection up front, anyway?

My Ride

Originally posted by Buster

Not making a case for modern BMWs here. Given the advancements that competitors have made in the markeplace on BMW in recent years (ATS-V vs M cars, for instance), a lot of this stuff is inexcusable.

A wise man once told me to never knock another man's hustle. I usually extend that to not knocking other peoples' cars. But...

Also, the weight distribution thing: our GL350 also hs the battery in the back. And that thing is so heavy you could probably sit a water buffalo on the hood and not make an appreciable difference in distribution. (Also, if these batteries are so heavy, then I would think that putting on on the SIDE in the back would also cause issues.) I think it's probably more of a packaging thing. How much do the cables weight to get the connection up front, anyway?
    One of the biggest selling points of performance for Beemers is a perfect or near perfect 50/50 weight distribution. All BMWs are built around this feature.

I personally don't see the power consumption of these cars as a crutch, the newer electronics in them are very intelligent and do much more than the consumer is aware of. I think the fault lies in current battery technology, these cars would also benefit from regenative braking, but the cost to add that would make it an unfavourable option.

The cable that runs from the back to the distribution block weighs less than 5lbs,
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 02-07-2017 at 05:52 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

New battery already throwing a discharge code lmao. Even after driving it around for a couple hours. BMW's loss, free battery for me. Its just too cold to get perfect voltage.

fact.

My Ride

New battery already throwing a discharge code lmao. Even after driving it around for a couple hours. BMW's loss, free battery for me. Its just too cold to get perfect voltage.
    Has BMW done a full Energy Diagnosis?

At this point I would be asking BMW to calibrate the energy management system, then take it for a 45 drive.
    Or diagnose the faulty sensor which measures battery amperage/use.

Also have you allowed the car to sit for more than 8-12 hours for the battery management to self calibrate?

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

I do not, but I should. Especially now that I have a new battery.

I DD it so it isn't usually an issue. But below -20 or so I start getting the nasty messages.
    When I had my M3, I lost a battery after a year of owning the car (increased discharge etc etc) and after I replaced it with a new AGM unit and bought a $60 Noco Genius charger from Crappy Tire. I threw the car on the trickle charger every night even if I was planning to drive the car the next day. Had the car for 3 more years and didnt have any issues after that.

Best $60 I spent.

Do you also lock your doors when you park the car in the garage? If you keep it unlocked, you'll drain the battery as the car will never go into "sleep mode"

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Car always locked so no worries there. And nope i did not let the car sit for 8-12 hours lol, i picked it up[ at 5 and drove it around for a couple hours with a few on-off's. Between the new battery and the new fuel pump smoothest starts it has had since i bought it.

No full energy diagnosis either. I don't think there is anything wrong with the car tbh, just flashes an increased battery discharge warning when i turn the car on or off then it goes about its business as if nothing is wrong.

Heck I only mentioned the battery to my SA in passing as i threw the keys at him for routine maintenance this morning.

It's going back in in April for an oil change anyways ( system wouldn't leet them do it today under inclusive maintenance lol ) so if its still flashing at me then I'll bring it up.

The other elephant in the room with my battery is that i have only put 26k km on it in 36 months. Short commutes.

fact.

My Ride

The other elephant in the room with my battery is that i have only put 26k km on it in 36 months. Short commutes.
    lol okay... a trickle charger is a must for your cars driving patterns...

If it's any consolation, all cars from all manufacturers would suffer the same faults if it was driven 8500kms per year.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Again, i was never convinced there was anything wrong.

fact.

My Ride
    G37X

Seems that most German cars @ work (Merc or BMW) run a trickle charger if they sit for more than a couple of days. It sounds silly, but better than waking up to a dead das auto.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Got to pay to play, if I want to be able to email google maps directions to my car from my phone I guess something needs to be staying awake in there

I just ordered a ctek 4.3. Been wanting a charger for ages and this seems like as good an excuse as any to get one. This battery will outlast the ownership of the car at least.

Watch now my next car will have a lithium battery and I'll need a new charger lmao.

fact.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast