Quantcast
2014-2015 BMW Fuel Pump Recall ( lol ) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2014-2015 BMW Fuel Pump Recall ( lol )

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default 2014-2015 BMW Fuel Pump Recall ( lol )

Started seeing some rumors of this on Bimmerpost. Alot of cars affected including some Nissans aparently. Nothing official form BMW Canada yet but might be worth discussing with your SA.

Looks like N55, N20, N28 are affected. Oddly only seeing it on 3,4,2's not the bigger cars.

Nissan and BMW have issued separate recalls for the very same problem: faulty fuel pumps manufactured by Bosch. According to bulletins from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the 2014 Nissan Rogue and a range of late-model BMW vehicles were equipped with pumps that may suddenly fail, increasing the risk of an accident.

NHTSA says that the fuel pump flaw is rooted in the metal plating used inside the devices. In BMW's defect report (PDF), NHTSA says that:

"Contamination due to improper nickel plating of certain sub-components within the fuel pump may cause excessive friction, potentially resulting in an inoperative fuel pump. If the fuel pump becomes inoperative due to this condition, the vehicle operator may experience a no-start condition or in rare cases a stalling condition without the ability to restart the vehicle."

Should the vehicle stall in traffic, it could dramatically increase the odds of a collision.

The recalls affect the following makes and models:

2014 BMW 228i
    2014 BMW 320i
    2014 BMW 320xi
    2014 BMW 328i
    2014 BMW 328xi
    2014 BMW 335i
    2014 BMW 335xi
    2014-2015 BMW 428i
    2014-2015 BMW 428xi
    2014-2015 BMW 435i
    2014 BMW 435Xi
    2014 BMW ActiveHybrid 3
    2014 BMW M235i
    2014 Nissan Rogue
    The Rogue recall is limited to vehicles built between June 11, 2013, and June 7, 2014. Some 76,242 vehicles registered in the U.S. are affected.

Some of the recalled BMW models are limited to specific build dates, too, but we recommend calling BMW for clarification. The automaker says that 18,054 U.S. vehicles are affected.
    BMW will mail recall notices to owners no later than April 30, 2015. After receiving those notices, owners will be able to take their cars to BMW dealers, who will replace the fuel pump, free of charge. For further details, BMW customer service can be reached at 800-525-7417. NHTSA can also answer owner questions at 888-327-4236. (Ask about safety campaign #15V189000.)
    My baby is sick
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just called in to my service desk and they said because they cant find the recall in their system yet they wont be performing it.

Basically she said until BMW NA sends me a letter don't worry about it XD. When I am there in person on thursday i will be reiterating my concern directly to my service advisor.

Mostly annoyed they they wont look into it further and are wasting my time by having the car come in twice.

I also had to tell them to remove the "please provide courtesy vehicle wash" from my service order lol.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Good luck getting them to look at it. There are so many recalls and service bulletins on the US side that never makes it up here because it costs BMW NA money. Transport Canada only does investigations based on Canadian complaints, and BMW NA in Canada mostly recalls stuff that TC forces them to, while other manufactures in Canada recalls vehicles on items from both TC and DOT/NHTSA.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Fortunately BMW customer service is NA wide afaik.

I might justify a spending my lunch on hold to get a complaint in. If they tell my service advisor to do it they will do it.

This isn't just a hypothetical problem either. Have been multiple cases of 2's stopping dead on the road or having their idle go crazy with this part listed as the source. At least on 2addicts, i don't follow the 3 and 4 series boards.

It was only on the initial run of the 2 series ( which mine is part of lol)

Technically the start of the recall is april 30th. Maybe i should take my car to Montana this summer to get it done.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I doubt you can get a Canadian car with US recall work done at a US dealer. At the end of the day, no recall in Canada, no care. If you experience the failure, it'll go through warranty.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I know you are right. But that doesn't mean i have to be happy about it

fact.

Again with this shit? Previous gen had major issues with HPFP failures too.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Its a small run of Bosch parts that are causing the issue. This recall affects other manufacturers as well.

The bigger problem with N54 was BMW not acknowledging the problem. Took a class action lawsuit to get them to recall.

fact.

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by rage2
    I doubt you can get a Canadian car with US recall work done at a US dealer. At the end of the day, no recall in Canada, no care. If you experience the failure, it'll go through warranty.
    Yap you sure cant, way back BMW USA (or NA whatever), did a wast-gate rattle fix, for the states only - Canada was left holding the bag.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Recall has been expanded to VW and Audi, looks like the small 2.0T's

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...lf-gti-audi-a3

Golf, GTI, Audi A3

Earlier this month, Nissan and BMW issued simultaneous recalls affecting nearly 100,000 U.S.-registered vehicles. In both cases, the underlying problem was a faulty fuel pump made by German supplier, Bosch.

Now, the Bosch recall has expanded to include thousands of additional vehicles from a completely different car company, Volkswagen. The German automaker has recalled Volkswagen Golf, GTI, and Audi A3 vehicles from the 2015 model year.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the problem with these VW and Audi vehicles is identical to that underlying the Nissan and BMW recalls: contamination and debris within the fuel pump. In a defect report, NHTSA says that:

"On some vehicles, contamination due to improper nickel plating of certain subcomponents within the fuel pump may cause excessive pump friction, potentially resulting in an inoperative fuel pump.... If the fuel pump becomes inoperative due to this condition, it may result in a no-start condition or a stall while driving without warning, and without the ability to restart the engine. An engine stall without warning while driving can increase the risk of a crash."

Thankfully, Volkswagen knows of no accidents or injuries associated with the problem. The recall affect some 6,204 VW and Audi vehicles registered in the U.S. and potentially more abroad.

Volkswagen hasn't told NHTSA when it will begin mailing recall notices to customers, but the defect notice suggests that the automaker is waiting for sufficient numbers of replacement parts to arrive. When owners receive those recall notices, they'll be able to take their vehicles to a Volkswagen or Audi dealer, who will inspect and replace affected fuel pumps at no cost.

If you own one of these vehicles and have further questions, you're encouraged to contact Volkswagen at 800-893-5298 or Audi at 800-253-2834. You can also call NHTSA directly at 888-327-4236 and ask about safety campaign #15V229000.
    Bosch has really dun goof'd!

fact.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So what is it? 2 years since i made this thread?

BMW Canada just called me about my recalled fuel pump. Dolts.

Only reason they ever found out is I booked the car in for a service next week.

So if your car is in the above list, might be worth looking into. Some of the failures I heard about were pretty spectacular ( car losing gas in the middle of the freeway type shit ).

Maybe the car almost stalling on startup isn't the type of gas I am giving it after all. idiots.
    Last edited by killramos; 02-02-2017 at 05:39 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

For those of you who don't know Cali determines yes or no.
    The rest of the U.S gets 2nd and we get the hind tit if we are lucky.
    Canada is always last.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg