Quantcast
Rx8 Rotary engine any good? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rx8 Rotary engine any good?

Default Rx8 Rotary engine any good?

I am looking to buy a new car and i was wondering how reliable the rotary engine is. I have heard some stories that it is not very reliable. I am looking to buy a used Rx8 Gt full loaded with 10,000 kms on it. I can get it for a pretty low price. I am just looking for some advice on the car. i.e like how it drives, reliability, how it holds up in winter and performance.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Barlow is offline I was under probation for 2 years

I'm looking my self, and i read a review that says tghe rotary is fun to drive, however in the winter it has its quirks, as in it doesn;t always start in the cold... and Calgary winter is cold.... but i still may get one.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

The Renesis rotary won engine of the year for a good reason. Like any car, proper maintenance yields positive results. 238 horsepower, smooth powerband, and an absolute rev rocket.

Do it.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Originally posted by A790
    The Renesis rotary won engine of the year for a good reason. Like any car, proper maintenance yields positive results. 238 horsepower, smooth powerband, and an absolute rev rocket.

Do it.
    Agreed, the only thing I would add is that the engines do burn a little oil. Many people like to make a big deal of it but as long as your checking it every now and then and maintaining it than its no biggie.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    Jasons mom

I hear the renesis is very well designed, very different than the origional 13b. Good power, and much better emissions than the origional. Its a bit too soon however to talk about reliability with them, as nobody prolly has 200,000km on one yet....but we'll see. The good thing about a rotary, is its so simple, there isnt much to break. I say if its a good price, get it.

My Ride
    RX-7,RS-9

Originally posted by HuMz

Agreed, the only thing I would add is that the engines do burn a little oil. Many people like to make a big deal of it but as long as your checking it every now and then and maintaining it than its no biggie.
    well there built to burn oil lol but in all honesty i have only noticed they burn small ammounts of oil on long trips not driving around calgary..like i drove my 86 rx-7 from calgary to ft.Mc murray and maybe used 1/4 of a liter nothing at all

but hey a rotary with warranty =Sweet deal
    Last edited by \JCAR/; 08-28-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Ask one of the Rx8 owners here on his 3rd warranty motor. Slow, pig on fuel and expensive. A combination for mega lose.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

As an owner I can comment on this:

1) The car is no problem in the winter at all as long as you put snow tires on. Actually it can be a lot of fun. I've had it out all day when it was -30 and it has always started.

2) If you are buying used, stay away from any 04 models. That's were the most problems with the engines are happening. I myself have had mine replaced twice. (not normal for this area but take ity anyway you like) Don't buy an Automatic...especialy the 4 port 2004 model.

3) The adding oil isn't as bad as people that don't have one tell you. I have to ad about a 1/2 litre per month...no big deal.

4) Gas mileage is all over the place with different people's cars.
    (from 12mpg to 21mpg city)
    I get 17 in the city and about 23-24 on the highway. The car hates rush hour traffic. This is where your mileage goes in the crapper.

5) The car is not that powerfull but still very fun to drive. You can throw it very hard into a corner and not get in any trouble because the car's balance is very nice. Great brakes too.

6) MAZDA DEALERS SUCK BALLS FOR SERVICE. Get used to fighting with them..well at least Sunridge and especially Kramer mazda
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

mazda rx8's are soooo sweet!!!!
    im scared of the horror stories ... especially rotten42's stories...
    why not just look into a used s2000 or something???

My Ride
    FWD FTW!

MY buddy has an RX-8 and its pretty sweet. He has a couple mods like intake and exhaust, but nothing serious. The car still has some pull though. you can definetly thrash it around alot. Hes never had any huge problems, i guess because his is a 2006 they worked out most of the kinks by then.

Whenever i drive with him i really really start to want one, maybe one day

Id say if your buying a brand new one go for it...full warranty
    //--// SDWZ //--//

"If in doubt, flat out" C. McRae R.I.P.

My Ride
    Nothing

my last rx8 the engine blew at 29000 kms. It was an 06
    HOOOOOObanger!!!!

My Ride
    2008 Z06

I think most people buy them for the handling and styling (not that I like how they look).

I'm not sure of the RX-8 price but I think a 350Z looks better, is more reliable, and will outperform the mazda as a rwd car.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

1) They tend flood if you aren't careful. So once you start the car you have to let it fully warm up before turning it off or else it might flood. After flooding sometimes you can get the car started by cranking for a while, but other times you have to tow to the dealership and replace plugs and maybe a cat(I read this somewhere). So you can't fire it up move it and then turn it off.

2) They consume more gas than your regular piston engine. Like rotten42 has stated under 20mpg city.

3) Great handling from what I have heard, great looking interior and exterior and quite spacious.

If it had a more ordinary engine setup I would be sold.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by dimi
    1) They tend flood if you aren't careful. So once you start the car you have to let it fully warm up before turning it off or else it might flood. After flooding sometimes you can get the car started by cranking for a while, but other times you have to tow to the dealership and replace plugs and maybe a cat(I read this somewhere). So you can't fire it up move it and then turn it off.

2) They consume more gas than your regular piston engine. Like rotten42 has stated under 20mpg city.

3) Great handling from what I have heard, great looking interior and exterior and quite spacious.

If it had a more ordinary engine setup I would be sold.
    Fot the most part the flooding issue has been resolved. Only an idiot should flood the car now.

I mpg never really bothered me. Most other cars out there advertise better mileage than the get. The engine may be under powered but it is still a sweet little powerplant. It has a distinctive sound and is very smooth right to the 9000rpm redline. When I ger rid of the car next year I'm goign to miss that.

I guesss it also depends on where you're head is that will determine whether there is enough power in the car. The car won't win races but that's not why I bought it in the first place. I don't street race and besides, there is always a faster car out there. It does have nough power to do everything I need it to do in traffic and out on the highway.

At out Mazda cruise this weekend a cvouple of us Rx8's had a clear run coming down Mt Norquay. That! is where the car demonstrated its capabilities best. Great handling and even better brakes. It was a hoot.

I guess that's why I'm so manic depressive with this car. I love it and I hate it. Next year I think I'm going to look for a used G35 (2006).
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by A790
    International engine of the year... they sure know how to pick 'em! M3 3.2L I6 gets picked, blows up everywhere shortly after. Renesis Rotary gets picked, blows up everywhere shortly after. Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive gets picked, dead hybrid batteries + failures shortly after .

The M5 V10 got picked 2 yrs in a row... wonder if that's a sign of things to come? haha.

http://www.ukintpress.com/engineofth...revious04.html
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    a tank

Originally posted by rage2

International engine of the year... they sure know how to pick 'em! M3 3.2L I6 gets picked, blows up everywhere shortly after. Renesis Rotary gets picked, blows up everywhere shortly after. Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive gets picked, dead hybrid batteries + failures shortly after .

The M5 V10 got picked 2 yrs in a row... wonder if that's a sign of things to come? haha.

http://www.ukintpress.com/engineofth...revious04.html
    maybe thats what happens after they win an award, they quickly throw all their R&D money into something else and start pushing for CR reduction.

just my guess.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

I own a 2007 RX8.

It really doesn't burn that much oil... the car has ~7000 km on it and I have only added just over 1 L of oil in total as of yesterday. You just need to keep an eye on it, that's all. The engine is designed to use oil. The location of the dip stick could be better thought out.

Flooding issues have all been resolved as rotten42 had said. I had a couple of really short trips and had no problem restarting the car.

Handling is amazing... out handles the 350Z for sure... the 350Z is faster around a road course because it has more power and a lot more torque down low.

Gas mileage is bad but I knew that going into it. I have never really worked out the exact gas mileage, but it is probably close to 13L/100 km mark.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by SilverRex
    maybe thats what happens after they win an award, they quickly throw all their R&D money into something else and start pushing for CR reduction.
    WTF you talking about? R&D is done before something is released, not after . Besides, you don't see a first year K20 blow up do you? The engine failures I talked about are all engineering mistakes... big ones, that's costed the companies tons of $.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

OP Have you driven the RX8 yet? That might sway your decision.

The HP rating is actually misleading. Mazda had a buy back because they grossly over-rated the power. It looks cool and handles OK but it feels gutless and torqueless. I've never owned one but I'd be wary about buying anything in the Mazda brand - oh the stories I've heard about them.

I'd look into a 3-series or S2k or 350Z if I were you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast