Quantcast
What happens when your brakes overheat... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What happens when your brakes overheat...

Originally posted by ekguy
    rough one of the sexiest fd's in calgary gonna need a facelift thats for sure. can't wait to see what you'll do with it
    Looks like the car will get a Mazdaspeed front bumper, gonna be a little ghetto until the end of the season, but will be painted this winter.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by CSMRX7
    This was a South End only event. It hapenned at the Macs crossover entrance. I find the southend is harder on brakes than the full road course!
    Originally posted by RedBull
    I race a 1984 Mazda Rx-7 and trust me the full road course is BRUTAL on brakes.
    While the full roadcourse is harder on brakes, running multiple laps on just the south end will overheat the brakes quite easily because you lose 2 long straights for cooling. You really need to oversize the brakes to run purely on the south end.

My SLK had perfect brake size for the full roadcourse, and I would melt the pads (smoke comin' out) after 3 or 4 hard laps on the south end.

My 944 turbo was fairly well oversized in terms of brakes for the full roadcourse (I could lock up at 240kph easily) but it was just right for the south end only.

Didn't u feel the brake pedal get a bit mushy before the brakes failed? That's usually a sign to slow the fuck down before you lose 90% of your braking power hehe.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

While the full roadcourse is harder on brakes, running multiple laps on just the south end will overheat the brakes quite easily because you lose 2 long straights for cooling. You really need to oversize the brakes to run purely on the south end.

My SLK had perfect brake size for the full roadcourse, and I would melt the pads (smoke comin' out) after 3 or 4 hard laps on the south end.

My 944 turbo was fairly well oversized in terms of brakes for the full roadcourse (I could lock up at 240kph easily) but it was just right for the south end only.

Didn't u feel the brake pedal get a bit mushy before the brakes failed? That's usually a sign to slow the fuck down before you lose 90% of your braking power hehe.
    Problem is the fluid never got hot enough to give the spungy feel, so as soon as the pads overheated they went hard, and the braking power went with it. After talking to a few guys who race FDs in the states I found that on R compunds you can easily destroy a set of low temp track pads in 1 or 2 braking zones!!! My new pads won't have that problem, I may start craking rotors though

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Both are hard on brakes.

The road course is much more when you fight for position.

You will need to find ways to vent more air to the rotors. Thicker rotors + Cryo is the best solution IMO.

Originally posted by speedracer
    Both are hard on brakes.

The road course is much more when you fight for position.

You will need to find ways to vent more air to the rotors. Thicker rotors + Cryo is the best solution IMO.
    Ya lapping and tt are 2 different beasts. The upgraded pads and ducting should be adequate for TT, but a big brake kit will be added if I go down the road race path.

My Ride
    is wild

Ouch, I was experiencing the same thing on the full course lapping with the factory pads...they did eventually bed in and got alot better.

What did you get down to for times? I figured with the r-compounds you'd be smoking pretty good at the tt.

Ever read anything on these?

Racing Brakes two piece brake disc

The correct heat range pad will make the difference as well as you know.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

I put mine in the same marsh last year. I made it out with little to no damage however, and if you recall the event before your incident another young fellow put his FC into the marsh. The south end like it's been said is VERY hard on the braking system. Glad your ok though, and you'll get it fixed and be back out in no time, let me know if you need a hand.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    something green

I went off somewhere around turn 2, first time I have ever gone backwards with the speedo still reading 135 ish, it was kinda weird.. No damage.. That end of the track is alot more forgiving than where J and you went 4x4'ing... IIRC it was pretty wet when you went off.
    The base FC brakes are hilarious, they don't ever fade, and they dont brake, they just do not have enough clamping pressure to do much over a certain speed..
    Too loud for Aspen

Originally posted by m10-power
    Ouch, I was experiencing the same thing on the full course lapping with the factory pads...they did eventually bed in and got alot better.

What did you get down to for times? I figured with the r-compounds you'd be smoking pretty good at the tt.

Ever read anything on these?

Racing Brakes two piece brake disc

The correct heat range pad will make the difference as well as you know.
    I have seen those. I my get a set in the future. They actually make my new pads which are the ET900s I think they will make a lot of difference with the ducting next season.

But a little birdy is telling me to run bigger power which may force me down the BBK path!

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    I put mine in the same marsh last year. I made it out with little to no damage however, and if you recall the event before your incident another young fellow put his FC into the marsh. The south end like it's been said is VERY hard on the braking system. Glad your ok though, and you'll get it fixed and be back out in no time, let me know if you need a hand.

That corner is a tough one to get right a lot of people go off there, I think 5 or 6 cars went off in the same spot last week. Its one of the worst places to go off since there is a pretty big drop from track level to the marsh.

My Ride
    2015 Subaru Forester XT 2004 Toyota 4Runner

Here's what happens when you lock up the brakes (no ABS) in the rain during a race at ~200km/h at the end of the front straight.... lol

Not nearly as bad but funny non the less. By the way even though the grass "looks flat" on the outside of turn one its NOT... My tip of the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally posted by RedBull
    Here's what happens when you lock up the brakes (no ABS) in the rain during a race at ~200km/h at the end of the front straight.... lol

Not nearly as bad but funny non the less. By the way even though the grass "looks flat" on the outside of turn one its NOT... My tip of the day.

LOL Nice work!!! I have been off there too (not in this car) it is pretty bumpy but it still isn't too bad to go off, just a little scary due to the speed.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Didn't Toma's buddy lose his brakes in his 2000hp drag car a few years ago? I think it trapped 200mph or something at the 1/4 and went straight off past turn 1, for another 3/4 mile into a fence and a farmers field or something?

Wish there was pics of that one haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

Originally posted by rage2
    Didn't Toma's buddy lose his brakes in his 2000hp drag car a few years ago? I think it trapped 200mph or something at the 1/4 and went straight off past turn 1, for another 3/4 mile into a fence and a farmers field or something?

Wish there was pics of that one haha.
    That was Dereks mustang I think?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2