Quantcast
Nyc Manhattan Advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Nyc Manhattan Advice

Default Nyc Manhattan Advice

Going to New York City at the end of the month. Anyone been before? Any general tips on where to shop, eat, watch out for, must see.

Staying at the W New York

My Ride
    NC1

There is so much stuff to see and do in Manhattan. It's nuts.

You can get a City pass which will give you access to the Guggenheim Museum, Museum of Modern Art and Natural History. Take a Circle Line boat cruise and see the island from the Hudson River. You also get access to the Empire State Building Observatory and 15% off at Bloomingdales.

The shopping is intense, you can walk up 5th AVE and enjoy 30+blocks of shopping, and that's for one side of the street only you can walk back on the other side I also hit up the shopping at Columbus Circle and the Soho districts. Get a 7 day subway pass for $24USD and it's unlimited. It will cover most of the island. Cabs are everywhere, you can also wave one there easily.

The food is anywhere and everywhere. Oyster seafood bar at Central grand station, AJ Maxwell steakhouse, Aoki Sushi and Pongsri on W 48th ST. TAO is also another amazing Asian/Fusion restaurant. Peking Duck house for world famous Peking Duck. Joe Shanghai for sweet tasting soup dumplings. Pagalle is an amazing french restaurant off 8th AVE/48th ST. Oh yeah, a Slice of NYC Pizza is another must eat.

Go to a Yankees baseball game. Again, the subway will take you right there. Broadway shows are directly in the theater district, adjacent to Times Square.

The actual geographical area of Manhattan is actually quite small and VERY easy to get around. There is so much to do, I love New York and can't wait to go back haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

i spent 2 weeks there, and it was amazing. there is so much to do. i love that city, and will definitely have to go back sometime in the future

i agree with the citypass, its great if you intend on going to the main NYC attractions. you can spend an entire day each at museum of natural history (if youre into that stuff) and museum of modern art

if you are staying for at least a week, get a week long metrocard. the subway will take you everywhere on the island, if you dont mind walking a few extra blocks around the stations. the pass will also work for busses if you are that lazy. the week long card is cheaper than day passes, and its unlimited use too. NYC is one of the best pedestrian cities in the world, so expect to walk a lot

if you like seinfeld, the kramer reality tour is pretty cool

and the most important piece of advise, dont go to any franchise or chain resturaunt while you are there. that would be a crime. there is so much good food, and some of the best places to eat are the little mom and pop places as you walk through the neighborhoods. your choice for ethnicities are endless.

for the best pizza ever, check out Grimaldi's in brooklyn. its kind of out of the way, but what you can do is take the sub to brooklyn, eat at Grimaldi's, then walk the brooklyn bridge back to the island. you get a great view of the city from the bridge.

Grimaldi's in brooklyn is amazing Best Pizza ive ever had!
    NYC is an awesome city if you not into clubbing and the Vegas Scene NYC is for you

My Ride
    GMC Sonoma pick up

Glad you had fun! I lived in NYC for 4 years while I was in college and LOVED it. The pizza there is better than any other place!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by citylimits
    Glad you had fun! I lived in NYC for 4 years while I was in college and LOVED it. The pizza there is better than any other place!
    I've been to NYC several times now for work, and I can tell you that Chicago's Pizza is better .

But ya, there's soooo much to do in NYC it's hard to explain it all here. You can literally just wander around all day for a week and it wont be enough time. The food is great everywhere too.

Don't eat in time square tho, you'll go broke haha. Prices are double there because it's purely a tourist attraction.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

NYC is great. There is soo much to do there and like everyone else there is just too much for one post.

There are several guide books that are good that offer good overview of NYC includes a map of the subway system to make things easy to get around.

I started at the south end and the Financial district and everyday just kind of went more and more North and after a week I still only made it to the bottom of Central Park and I skipped a lot of stuff.

What do you like? Shopping? Museums? Just walking around? Watching Shows?
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    Did Calgary have a riot in 2004?
    Just boobs. That's how we party.

My Ride
    GMC Sonoma pick up

I've been to NYC several times now for work, and I can tell you that Chicago's Pizza is better .
    I've had Chicago pizza before and it is good but I would still say NY style is better To be fair, I don't think that you can really compare the two since they are such different styles.

Don't forget to try hallal.... ummm..