Quantcast
High Electricity Bill - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: High Electricity Bill

Default High Electricity Bill

Holy shit....my enmax bill is $140 this month. I live in a 1000sqft apartment. Usually I have been paying around $65 a month only. I noticed the rates per kw/h have went up quite a bit. Also I have been running my 2 window air conditioners around 5-6hrs a day, so that probably added quite a bit to it. Still seems crazy high to me though. I think I may have to look into signing one of these long term contracts or something. Anyone else get a nasty surprise on their bill this month?

yeah we did too here in edmonton. I think one month a summer they just estimate your electricity usage and that month is always higher. Next month will be low to make up for it.

The same thing happens in March.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

I'm glad my condo fees covers all of that. $140 bucks is quite abit considering that you only live in a 1000sqft apartment
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Dude sign up for EasyMax, with the 5 year fixed rate. Keep your eye on your bills and see what you're paying per KWH, probably a lot more than 8 cents.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

two air conditioners could add as much as $100.00 alone if you let them run 24/7, so in your case about $40 - $50 extra depending on size.

my unit (900w) would cost about 48/month.

figure it out yourself, if your charged for $0.08 per kW/Hr and you have two ~1000w aircons, it is costing you $0.16 an hour to run them, x 5 hours a day, x 30 days = $24.00 a month minimum.

Also check to see if they did a meter correction, I know sometimes our meter readers read the meters wrong so your last bill is super small and the next bill looks huge because they are making up for the amount you didnt get charged before.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Current RPO is 11.458c/kWh, it was only 8.294 last month
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

wow we are charging 6.89, I like crown corps now!
    Cos...

Originally posted by R!zz0
    I'm glad my condo fees covers all of that. $140 bucks is quite abit considering that you only live in a 1000sqft apartment
    Usually condo fees don't cover electricity (only heat), good job...I'm jealous

Ok...so I signed up for the 5yr plan for 8cents/kw/h. I noticed they also have a 1 yr term for 9cents/kw/h. It seems like regardless of term you can cancel with 1 month notice. So why would anyone choose the 1 yr plan at a higher rate? Is this just a test to see if your retarded or am I missing something here? I'd call and ask but I'm too lazy to wait on hold for half an hour.

^

Yeah I signed up for the 5 year last week and am wondering about the same thing.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Mixalot27
    Ok...so I signed up for the 5yr plan for 8cents/kw/h. I noticed they also have a 1 yr term for 9cents/kw/h. It seems like regardless of term you can cancel with 1 month notice. So why would anyone choose the 1 yr plan at a higher rate? Is this just a test to see if your retarded or am I missing something here? I'd call and ask but I'm too lazy to wait on hold for half an hour.
    Longer commitment has a lower price because they can forecast better.

While we are @ close to 12c/kwh, it's not the norm. We should be back down to 8-9c soon. But, since electricity is based on free market and the Alberta market is HOT, don't expect it to go too far down. Get into to contracts NOW.

Unless they build those nuclear plants in Peace River, expect electricity market continue to be tight.

Originally posted by brendankharris
    wow we are charging 6.89, I like crown corps now!
    You are on the same grid. The government also buys on the free market whatever they can't generate. That means government will continue to bleed $ as prices goes up. Which means they have to raise taxes and shit, oh that's right, you have a 7% sales tax.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-04-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Why the fuck doesn't Enmax accept credit card payments? And who the hell chooses to use Epost for a payment provider. Canada Post can barely manage to deliver the physical mail, little lone electronic transactions. Thats my rant for the day.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Mixalot27
    Why the fuck doesn't Enmax accept credit card payments? And who the hell chooses to use Epost for a payment provider. Canada Post can barely manage to deliver the physical mail, little lone electronic transactions. Thats my rant for the day.
    You can also pay via internet banking or any type of bill payment.

They don't want to accept credit card because they don't want to pay the fees. And it's a necessity so you HAVE to paid any way they dictate.