Quantcast
Lock Pick's in Canada - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Lock Pick's in Canada

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

Default Lock Pick's in Canada

Does anyone know if it's illegal to own lock pick's in canada? I want to try it as a hobby, but just curious if its illegal to own the tools. I dont plan on carrying them around with me... couldn't find anything online.

These guys specifically

http://www.lockpicks.com/index.asp?P...rodID=502&HS=1

Edit: Found it...

Restricted keys and locksmith's instruments

26 (1) In this section, "authorized person" means a person who

(a) holds a valid security business licence authorizing him or her to carry on the business of a locksmith,

(b) holds a valid security employee licence and is employed as a locksmith by a person referred to in paragraph (a),

(c) is a locksmith who is exempt from sections 3 and 10 by virtue of section 2 (f),

(d) is designated by the regulations as an authorized person for the purposes of this section, or

(e) is authorized in writing by the registrar to do a thing that this section otherwise prohibits.

(2) In giving an authorization under subsection (1) (e), the registrar may impose conditions the registrar considers appropriate, and the registrar may, if he or she considers it appropriate, cancel an authorization he or she has given.

(3) A person must not cut or make a restricted key, or transfer possession of, lend or otherwise provide a restricted key to another person unless the person cutting, making, transferring, lending or providing the key is

(a) an authorized person, or

(b) the owner of the lock that is to be operated by the key or is an employee of the owner of the lock that is to be operated by the key and is acting with the authority of the owner.

(4) A person, other than an authorized person, must not have in his or her possession

(a) a key, pick, rocker key or vibrating pick tool, or

(b) any instrument

that is designed or adapted to open a lock without using the proper key or combination or to bypass a lock.
    Last edited by natejj; 09-04-2007 at 11:40 AM.

I had this idea when I was younger.. 14 or so.. I sent away for some learn at home package, or something of the sort.. to this day they still send crap to my parents house.. haha..

I actually made a couple little tools, there's lots of info online, if you dig around.. I used to practice on my gun cabinet lock and got so good at how it felt, I could easily do it in 3-5seconds..

My Ride

You can make your own out of spring steel just make a torque wrench and some rakes with different heads (which pictures are easy to find online) Not hard at all.
    I might be furious but I'm not fast.

My Ride

http://www.wikihow.com/Pick-a-Lock

Tension wrench (Many common objects can be used as a tension wrench, provided that they are strong enough to apply pressure to the cylinder and thin enough to just barely fit in the end of the keyhole (you don’t need or want the wrench to be so thin that it goes all the way in the keyhole). The tension wrench should also be small enough to afford you plenty of room to maneuver the pick when they are both in the keyhole. You can use a small allen wrench that you file down at the end or you can just use a thin-tipped flathead screwdriver.)
    Pick(s) (You can use a safety pin or a paperclip. To make a pick from a paperclip, straighten the paperclip and then bend it 90 degrees very close to one end. Alternately, you may bend one end into a tiny loop. Needle-nose pliers make bending the paperclip much easier. Make sure whatever you choose for a pick is sturdy, or you will not be able to apply enough pressure to push the lock’s pins up without your pick bending.)

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Lockpicks are obsolete.

Wanna see why I am installing an alarm on the house this week, and changing all the locks to a bump proof style?

Do a search on youtube for "bumpkey"
    Last edited by alloroc; 09-05-2007 at 06:38 PM.

They are tough to get but way better than the homemade ones, a set of southord's are top notch.

And yes, they make a killer hobby.

My Ride

Originally posted by alloroc
    Lockpicks are obsolete.

Wanna see why I am installing an alarm on the house this week, and changing all the locks bo a bump proof style?

Do a search on youtube for "bumpkey"
    Make sure it's not a wireless alarm. I pissed off the ADT guy when I hacked his alarm system in under 5 mins by scrambling the codes it sends wirelessly.

My Ride
    honda with fart can

I made all my own All you need is a few hack saw blades, a dremel tool and a few allen wrenches.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Originally posted by Gotrek

Make sure it's not a wireless alarm. I pissed off the ADT guy when I hacked his alarm system in under 5 mins by scrambling the codes it sends wirelessly.
    No phone I'm making bars for the basement windows (basement unfinished)
    + installing a motion sensor down there just in case so it trips b4 the phone cord can get cut.

If someone 'really' wants to get in they will no matter what you do but with bump keys there is no sign of forced entry and a lot of insurance companies are accusing victims of fraud, and they are so 'f'n easy to make and use @#$%. All i'm trying to do is make it hard enough they'll go elsewhere.

My Ride
    CS-GA20DE-TT // B5 A4 TT

just looked up bumpkeys and holy shit.

I am buying a 2x4 for the door... and beside my bed.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Originally posted by doublepostwhore
    just looked up bumpkeys and holy shit.

I am buying a 2x4 for the door... and beside my bed.
    yup,.. me too!
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride

I never lock my doors so bump keys don't work on my house