Quantcast
Advanced Road Test Tips - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Road Test Tips

My Ride
    German

Default Advanced Road Test Tips

I have to take my second road test tomorrow and I'm a little nervous. I think the easiest way to lose points is not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign and speeding. Other than that, what else should I pay attention to? I drive a lot so I hope I'll do okay. Is the exam pretty much all highway and DT driving?

My Ride
    99 Blazer

speeding, is an automatic fail I believe...
    And rollings stops possibly are as well..
    Count to three in your head at stop signs,
    And why speed??? are you in a hurry?? someplace to be?? Just take your time, you paid for whatever time they give you, might as well use it up...

shoulder check and check your mirrors often... make the head movements noticeable, but not over the top... Make sure you buckle up, and make sure the instructor does too.. Not often they won't, but it would be a good catch if they didn't tryin to see if you say anything.. leave space when your at a light as well, they call it an escape route or something, but chances are if your gonna get rear ended there won't be any room for you to get out of the way... All I can think of right now.. oh and 2 hands on the wheel in good position...

once ya get in the car make sure you set everything up for you. (mirrors, seat, wheel, etc)

My Ride
    German

Good point Supa Dexta, I almost forgot about the "two hands on the wheel" rule. I'm just curious if they're really picky about that or not?

My Ride
    300 Limited

Watch out for school zones/playground zones.
    School started today, meaning tomorrow, when you take your test it will be in effect.
    Don't speed, shoulder check, come to a complete stop and obey traffic signs. You'll be just fine
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

I went 70 on glenmore (didnt wanna speed) and lost 20 points... I passed a bus 3x times in an intersection, 15 points each time...

Passed with 65 points!

My Ride
    95 Del Sol

The test is easy, just follow the rules of the road, the signage, right of way and basic things like that. If u mess up a little, remember you can accumalate up to 70 points, just don't do anything that'll instant fail you. I can post up my test results when I get home, so you know what they look for

we all get laid back and lazy after driving for yrs... But if you sit up and look alert and pay attention to every thing around you they will notice you have your head in the game..

My Ride
    1.5JZ Supra

I took my road test in Ontario years ago, but some things I remember:

I lost points for driving too slow. I had a habit of speeding at that age, and was trying way too hard to not speed. Go fast enough to keep up with traffic, but not over the speed limit.

Uncontrolled intersections, stop at them! There was this test place near my house where the parking lot exited into an alley. They had this nasty habit of telling kids to go down the alley, and most of them got an instant fail, as there was a pathway that crossed the alley, and almost everyone would drive right through the "intersection" of the path and the alley.

Both hands on the wheel whenever possible. I got dinged some points for having one hand on the shifter as I crossed over some railroad tracks (I took my driving test in a 5-speed bcause I'm just that cockey). Seriously though, driving a 5-speed really keeps your head in the game, and aware of your surroundings. "Traffic's slowing down ahead, I better downshift, etc". That is, if you're not too busy trying to fight with a stick you can't drive

Take extra precautions while in parking lots. They're sort of a gray area, and they'll most likely fail you if they thing you're doing something "unsafe".

Oh, most importantly, don't be nervous. Relax, it's only a driving test. I bet you drive better then half the idiots on the road, and they all got their licenses didnt they.
    Last edited by Annoyingrob; 09-05-2007 at 06:15 AM.

Last edited by Your Mom on 02-30-2010 at 12:30 AM

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

I missed GDL by a couple months, I'm just curious, how hard is this test? Harder/easier than the first test?

My Ride
    German

Well it wasn't all that bad actually. I got dinged for not stopping completely when leaving a parking lot but that was cuz I was busy trying not scratching any more paint off my lip. The examiner also commented on my exhaust tone being too loud so the exam ended pretty quickly. I passed!!

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Nicely done
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    01 Cummins 3500,

shit i gota take that stupid test too, b4 i run out of demerits. whats the number to that place infected?

My Ride
    German

I'm sure pretty much any driving school will be able to offer you the exam, but I thought you had to keep a good driving record before you're allowed to take the advanced road test. I got a letter in the mail saying I could take the exam before I called my driving school.

My Ride
    Eclipse

for this test, how are you suppose to downshift when going to a stop? Can you stick it in N? or does it have to be in 1st at all times?
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride

Originally posted by infected
    Well it wasn't all that bad actually. I got dinged for not stopping completely when leaving a parking lot but that was cuz I was busy trying not scratching any more paint off my lip. The examiner also commented on my exhaust tone being too loud so the exam ended pretty quickly. I passed!!
    so is the advance road test the same as the first test? is there parallel parking?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I'm sure pretty much any driving school will be able to offer you the exam, but I thought you had to keep a good driving record before you're allowed to take the advanced road test. I got a letter in the mail saying I could take the exam before I called my driving school.
    you can take it after having your gdl for a set time and not suspention within the past year

Originally posted by Kobe
    for this test, how are you suppose to downshift when going to a stop? Can you stick it in N? or does it have to be in 1st at all times?
    they guy told me as long as i drove smooth he didnt care, just ask beore hand

Originally posted by fcukda

so is the advance road test the same as the first test? is there parallel parking?
    way longer, no parking part

remember:
    -when turning right check for cyclists
    -leave tons of room infront of you when driving
    - slow for uncontrolled intersection

My Ride
    German

Not really. We started off driving around Downtown mainly to test double turning lanes. Then we spent some time driving around residential areas with lots of stop/yield signs and playground/school zones. Lastly we spent no more than 10 minutes on Deerfoot Trail before we headed back Downtown where the exam ended. No parking, just non-stop driving.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Not really. We started off driving around Downtown mainly to test double turning lanes. Then we spent some time driving around residential areas with lots of stop/yield signs and playground/school zones. Lastly we spent no more than 10 minutes on Deerfoot Trail before we headed back Downtown where the exam ended. No parking, just non-stop driving.
    if i could recomend a place to do the test it would be far away from downtown and in a area you know, makes it easy

oh and dont do it during rush hour, man that sucked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast