Quantcast
Passports - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Passports

My Ride
    BMW E46 LSB ///M3

Default Passports

Has anyone recently aquired a new passport? I have to head down to the states and just realized that i will need my passport.

how long can i expect before it shows up?

thanks

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I went to the downtown location, took me about 4 hours in the lines but got my passport in two weeks.

That was in April though
    Cos...

My Ride
    BMW E46 LSB ///M3

so there is no way you can enter the states without a passport huh? Last time i went to the states was in 2005 and i don't think i needed it to fly when i went to Florida..

My Ride
    MDX

Drive across the border and fly from there

My Ride
    my bike

you can pay to get it rushed, even sooner (a couple days) with proof of travel.

New rules went into effect early this year and there is absolutely no way to enter the US by air without a passport.

My Ride
    BMW E46 LSB ///M3

Originally posted by jdmakkord
    Drive across the border and fly from there
    Hmm not a bad idea i wonder if it would be cheaper, maybe they would give me a hard time though.. and ask me a lot of questions about why i did it that way

I just went to renew my passport last week. It opens at 8:30 and I got there around 8...waited for about 45 minutes after it opened and the lady told me it would take two weeks to ship to me (not rush). This is a renewal though and there's a new process for that so I don't know if it's longer for a new passport.

My Ride
    my bike

Originally posted by funkedelic

Hmm not a bad idea i wonder if it would be cheaper, maybe they would give me a hard time though.. and ask me a lot of questions about why i did it that way
    It would be the same as taking a flight from say here to Vancouver. They won't ask you any questions because you've already entered the country and been subject to scrutiny by homeland security/border protection. You should only have to provide picture ID to the airline in order to board the plane.

My Ride
    BMW E46 LSB ///M3

Originally posted by 98type_r

It would be the same as taking a flight from say here to Vancouver. They won't ask you any questions because you've already entered the country and been subject to scrutiny by homeland security/border protection. You should only have to provide picture ID to the airline in order to board the plane.
    if the passport is going to take too long, i might just have to consider this.. i wonder how hard it is to get a flight out to the midwest from lets say.. great falls though. . wondering if i would need to go to an international airport

My Ride
    my bike

Great Falls isn't a very big airport, go to their website and look at the flight schedule. I counted 22 departures and arrivals combined per day, but there is a flight to Denver which is a major hub. You can connect to anywhere from Denver, that airport is huge.

IMO for what it's going to cost you to park your car at the airport, you might as well just pay the extra $$ to get your passport rushed, fly from here and save a lot of unnecessary drive time.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

What is the exact process of getting one? Like what will I need to bring with me for the application? I'd hate to get in line, wait only to be sent away because I didn't have everything I need.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Originally posted by frozenrice
    What is the exact process of getting one? Like what will I need to bring with me for the application? I'd hate to get in line, wait only to be sent away because I didn't have everything I need.
    Fill it out online.
    I showed my drivers, birth certificate and SIN card.
    Took me 20 minutes(including wait time, online filled out applications jump line), I had all my papers filled out since I did it online and she scanned the barcode at the top looked at my ID and took my money.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

You can get it in 2 days if you really want to. I went to Vegas in the beginning of July with some friends and one of my friends didn't get his passport in time. He sent it out to be processed through snail mail in the beginning of March.

They sent him back his application about a week before we were to leave. He simply went and stood in line with proof of travel documents (ie itinerary) and paid about $110. He went in on a Weds morning and he had it by Fri morning.