Quantcast
Stripping wax/sealant - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Stripping wax/sealant

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Default Stripping wax/sealant

I've done a lot of polishes and waxes, but I almost always start with a neglected car that hasn't seen wax or sealant since it left the showroom. Even on my previous cars I've just done it once a year and left it at that. However, I now have a NICE car, and I have two shows this weekend and I need to strip what little wax is left, plus sealant, to do a full polish.

I was thinking of claying, hitting it with a paint cleaning compound with the polisher, then a medium cut, polish cut, sealant and wax. That the right order to get this done right?
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    a wrx.

I'm a noob to this sort of stuff, but my understanding is that a cut polish will take off all the stuff you are hitting with the clay and paint cleaner, so why bother with those steps? It'd be easier to do a wash with some dish detergent and slightly harder scrubbing to get rid of the wax before the polishing steps.

Then just make sure you pick a sealant and carnauba that are known to layer well together.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

By claying first, I remove surface contaminants that otherwise will foul my polishing pad. A few less things to be grinding into the paint. The cleaner will remove the wax for sure, but if there's another thing I should be using that'll work better I will. The reason I don't want to strip the wax with the medium cut, which will work, is that it won't really polish, but will just strip the coatings. So I don't get the benefit of all that polish.

The dish soap approach I have heard before, but I'm not sure if it's the best or if it'll work with sealant.

I've been using Meg's #21 Polymer Sealant layered with either their #26 High Tech Yellow or NXT liquid waxes. I've never had a problem with either for layering.
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    WRX STI

Dont use dish soap, it drys out the clear coat to much. This is the order i used when i am polishing a car. This is for a light polish if your car is not in to bad of shape.

Meguires clay bar

With my heaver pad
    #83 dual action cleaner polisher

then with my medium pad
    #80 Speed Glaze

With a super soft Pad
    #7 Show Car Glaze

With my softest Pad
    #26 high tech yellow wax.

You have a pretty mean shine after. Let me know if you need a pic.

My Ride
    WRX STI

The #83 is a 6 on the meguirs scale for abrasion and the #80 is a 4. So if you needed something heaver i would replace the 83 with something a little stronger.

My Ride
    WRX STI

The z4 was pretty dull before i got to it. I did the same steps above on this.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Nice I have the 83 and the 80, not the 7, which I could get I suppose. I don't think I have enough pads for that though. I have an orange medium cut, two white light cut and one black softie.

I'm content with the 83, because most of the damage to my car's paint is enough that only a re-spray will cure it, unfortunately. But I can get it looking pretty good with what I have.

How do you dry your pads quickly after washing them?

My Ride
    WRX STI

I use a yellow for the 83
    green for 80
    blue for the 7
    and white for the yellow wax

I get my pads off auto geek. There nice pads and just click right in. Also have an orange which is below green but iv never used it.
    Yeah i would get the 7. It puts so many nice rich oils back into the paint. Probably my favorite step.

I spray on the pad with wax remove, rinse with the hose. Then give it a quick spin on the polisher to throw out all the water. Its now just left damp so a bit in the sun and its dry.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Sweet, thanks I just ordered the #7 and a super soft pad (Megs) from the Meg's guy here in edmonton. I'll pick it up Friday and give it a shot!

My Ride
    WRX STI

Sounds good. Good luck. Let me know if you got any questions. Pick your self up some green painters tape and tape off any plastic or cracks. Makes clean up alot nicer and easyer.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

I've got blue in 1", 1/2" and 1/8"

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by 97'Scort
    By claying first, I remove surface contaminants that otherwise will foul my polishing pad. A few less things to be grinding into the paint. The cleaner will remove the wax for sure, but if there's another thing I should be using that'll work better I will. The reason I don't want to strip the wax with the medium cut, which will work, is that it won't really polish, but will just strip the coatings. So I don't get the benefit of all that polish.

The dish soap approach I have heard before, but I'm not sure if it's the best or if it'll work with sealant.

I've been using Meg's #21 Polymer Sealant layered with either their #26 High Tech Yellow or NXT liquid waxes. I've never had a problem with either for layering.
    Makes sense...I've read that NXT isn't great for layering as it is sort of an AIO and there is some cleaner in it.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

There might be, but again never had much of a problem. If you let the polymer sealant cure properly (24 hours in a garage) then wax, I don't think any wax will have enough cleaner in it to strip that sealant.

My Ride
    2000 Prelude

can u layer NXT with meguairs gold classic wax ???

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

^ Why? Pick one wax and use it. Sealant is different than wax, so you can layer it for shine and protection. If you're just going to wax, pick the wax you want to use and put it on, and put on another layer of the same stuff if you want another layer.