Quantcast
Nikon D40x or Canon digital rebel XTI? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikon D40x or Canon digital rebel XTI?

Default Nikon D40x or Canon digital rebel XTI?

Okay beyond camera gurus.

i want to get into my hobby. now ive been looking at eBay, and for my price range ive narrowed it down to these 2 cameras.

ive kinda read the reviews on both cameras and they do have exceptional reviews but i want other opinions.

keep in mind that i am a beginner, but here are the 2 items i have narrowed it down too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-Digita...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D40X-Digit...QQcmdZViewItem

My Ride
    '98 Oldsmobile Intrigue

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Nikon only has AF if you use specific lenses (the AF is built into the lens) or is that only the D40? I myself would say Canon and I'm sure most people would agree with me. Would you be open to one more option however? I bought the Olympus E-330 and I am damn happy.

Olympus Evolt E-330 Digital & Lens + Kit E330 NEW USA
    Price: US $449.95
    UPS Ground

Subtotal: US $449.95
    Shipping and handling: US $52.00
    Shipping insurance (included): --
    Seller discounts or charges: --
    Total: US $501.95
    Plus $75 for the random border bs it came up to about $600CAD. Then I ordered an 8GB PNY Compact Flash card from here while it was on sale for $100 and got a $40 tri-pod off my brother for free.

I use it to mostly take pictures of cars and the live LCD makes taking weird angle shots really simple. The battery life is good as well and I like the feel of it. Plus, this is the first ever camera that I've owned and I understood the majority of features and operation within half an hour of using it (although I am a geek ), the only thing I don't understand still are metering, AEL and ISO although I never use those or tested them.

I'll upload some sample (unprocessed) pictures for you to look at.

My Ride
    '98 Oldsmobile Intrigue

Imageshack downsized my images, I guess that's good since the original size is 5MB

All shot using the kit lens, AF (I think all are AF ), Super High Quality JPGs (or RAWs that have been exported as JPGs) and P mode (automatic exposure, shutter speed and aperture)

I will be honest though, I am disappointed by the macro capabilities but I'm guessing it's the lens, they have macro lenses but it's not a priority for me since I don't take many close-ups. (I think the minimum focus distance is 0.38m which isn't macro at all IMO)

Camera page: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1226
    Kit lens page: http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sys_lens_14mm45.asp

hrm interesting -

juss a newb question whats AF?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

AF=Autofocus. The D40 and D40X only AF with AF-S lenses. All new Nikon lenses are AF-S, it's only a problem if you want to use old lenses.

Also, those Ebay kits are a ripoff. 90% of the accessories are useless and the flash is crap. The camera itself will be a gray-market import, which means no Nikon warranty, just the one-year "warranty" from the seller. Cameras sold through Nikon Canada (ie authorized retailers) carry 2 year warranties on the body and 5 years on the lens.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/Produc...roductID=32464
    Last edited by BerserkerCatSplat; 09-05-2007 at 08:59 AM.

ohhh so might as well not purchase off eBay and just go to blacks or something?

My Ride
    WRX STI

I have the D40 and i love it. My dad has an olympus and he still prefers mine. Here is a sample pic if you were curious. This is the D40 6.1mp not the d40x which is 10mp. This is off my account on photobucket, so i believe you do lose a little quality if you store them on there...

My Ride
    WRX STI

Like said above i also think its a good idea to buy in town. I was also a beginner not long ago and the D40 has been a great camera to learn on. If the D40x was out when i got mine i would have got that one instead.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Since the XTi has dropped in price to 899 for the kit locally i think it's a great buy... I ended up going for the XTi myself and am quite happy with it, personally I like how it feels in my hands better than the nikon and the menu systems and such are much better.

My best advice is to go on dpreview.com and read the in-depth reviews on both cameras... then go to a camera store and try both cameras out yourself to see which you prefer.. as everyone will have their own opinion on the products.

i was looking into an xti or d80 for a while and ended up with a 30d. with an entry level slr that you are looking for i wouldnt be so concerned with the body id be more concerned as to the purpose you want it for. i went with canon because they have the greatest price range and overall range of lenses ie. L series. if you want to do any sports photograph id stick with canon they have arguably the quickest AF system.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by GQBalla
    ohhh so might as well not purchase off eBay and just go to blacks or something?
    Blacks sucks, go to The Camera Store. I linked it in my post.

Originally posted by bigboom
    i was looking into an xti or d80 for a while and ended up with a 30d. with an entry level slr that you are looking for i wouldnt be so concerned with the body id be more concerned as to the purpose you want it for. i went with canon because they have the greatest price range and overall range of lenses ie. L series. if you want to do any sports photograph id stick with canon they have arguably the quickest AF system.
    Wee bit of a price gap between a D40x and a 30D. The AF systems on the low-level bodies are going to be pretty similar, he's probably not going to be dropping thousands on pro glass either. Both Canon and Nikon have extremely good offerings in both the amateur and pro market, and you can't really go wrong with either system.

I'm also interested in your comments on the AF system. Which AF system are you talking about? I can think of 6 different Nikon AF systems on the market right now, including Multi-CAM3500, and I'm sure Canon has just as many.
    Last edited by BerserkerCatSplat; 09-05-2007 at 10:06 AM.

any reason for the camera store?

any special discounts for beginners?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Better prices, employees who aren't mindless drones, etc.

I would recommend a rebel XT locally or a 30D if you're going Canon and a D80 if you're going Nikon.

IMHO the D40 is not worth it and neither is the XTi

any reason why the D40 and xti is not worth it?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

It depends on your budget, really. If you can afford a D80/18-135mm kit, it's got a lot of features the D40 lacks.

Anyway, I would strongly suggest going down to The Camera Store and trying out all the cameras in your price range.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Blacks sucks, go to The Camera Store. I linked it in my post.

Wee bit of a price gap between a D40x and a 30D. The AF systems on the low-level bodies are going to be pretty similar, he's probably not going to be dropping thousands on pro glass either. Both Canon and Nikon have extremely good offerings in both the amateur and pro market, and you can't really go wrong with either system.

I'm also interested in your comments on the AF system. Which AF system are you talking about? I can think of 6 different Nikon AF systems on the market right now, including Multi-CAM3500, and I'm sure Canon has just as many.
    but the xti supposedly uses the same AF system as the 30d which is the multi basis ttl 9 point system. from what ive read that is faster then the d40's multicam530 i think it is.

i was up against this same dillema and really wanted to go nikon but ended up with a 30d thanks to keegan when the camera store had their clearout on the 30d's. to me the canon colour fit my eye better too...but if it wasnt for the 30d clearout i would have ended up with a d80, the new cmos sensor nikon is using is going to be fantastic in their new releases

i agree with you however that you cant go wrong and if you are going to go with nikon save up some money and get the d80 instead, awesome feature set for that price of camera.
    Last edited by bigboom; 09-05-2007 at 10:59 AM.

okay so im not goin the eBay route - i might pick up the canon digital rebel XT at future shop for 699.

i was playin with my friends today and seems like a good camera for a begginer.

My Ride
    09 wrx265

Originally posted by GQBalla
    okay so im not goin the eBay route - i might pick up the canon digital rebel XT at future shop for 699.

i was playin with my friends today and seems like a good camera for a begginer.

you played with my Rebel, now go buy one

im thinkin bout it earl!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast