Quantcast
Fake Canadian Convoy enters APEC - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Fake Canadian Convoy enters APEC

My Ride
    2004 Lotus Esprit

Default Fake Canadian Convoy enters APEC

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Members of an Australian TV comedy show, one of them dressed as Osama bin Laden, drove through two security checkpoints Thursday before being stopped near the Sydney hotel where U.S. President George W. Bush is staying.

Police officers were not amused by the comedy group's stunt. Eleven people were arrested.

The stunt embarrassed Sydney police who have imposed the tightest security measures in city history for a summit of leaders from Pacific Rim countries, including Bush.

Police arrested 11 cast and crew members from the TV program, "The Chaser's War on Everything," and impounded three vehicles, the Australian Broadcasting Corp., which airs the show, said on its Web site.

Cast members put together a sham motorcade, hiring two motorcycles and three large cars on which they put Canadian flags. Police waved the motorcade through two checkpoints before pulling it over near the Intercontinental Hotel where Bush is staying.

Cast member Chas Licciardello got out of the car dressed in a white tunic and cap and wearing a long, fake, Osama bin Laden-style beard. Watch the arrests after the "motorcade" stopped »

"No particular reason we chose Canada," cast member Chris Taylor was quoted as saying on The Sydney Morning Herald's Web site. "We just thought they'd be a country who the cops wouldn't scrutinize too closely, and who feasibly would only have three cars in their motorcade -- as opposed to the 20 or so gas guzzlers that Bush has brought with him."

Bush is a frequent target of "The Chaser," as are Australian politicians. Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said the stunt proved security was working.

"Whatever you think of the humor of 'The Chaser,' the honest truth is they were clearly not going to harm anybody in a physical way," Downer said. "They presumably were, as is the nature of their show, aiming to humiliate a lot of well-known people."

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS....ap/index.html

UPDATE (Video) :
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor....motorcade.cnn
    Last edited by creeper; 09-06-2007 at 07:32 PM.

My Ride
    2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2 V6

Pretty surprising to hear they made it past TWO check points, makes you wonder...not to mention the one dressed as Osama

I didn't know it was illegal to impersonate a Canadian or wear a long fake beard.

I wonder what they will end up getting charged with?

My Ride
    2004 Lotus Esprit

Next time skip the $146 million security pricetag .... and just have a fucking conference call.

My Ride

what makes me laugh is that the australians were really proud of the security measures taken oh well at least they got stopped

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Very good execution. Most ballsy move by a comedian ever.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

Yeah, funny story.... let's see who would be laughing if an overzealous sniper decided to pop Mr. Laden... ha. ha.

My Ride
    GTI

Love Chaser's war, great show!