Quantcast
cd deck - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: cd deck

Default cd deck

Hey,

I have a 96 grand cherokee Ltd and the factory cd player/radio is starting to mess up. But I have an extra cd deck laying around from a previous car that I want to install instead.

It's a Kenwood KDC-119S, yeah P.O.S. I know but it will do the job.

Anyways, the factory wiring will not fit into the back of my deck and I can't seem to find a harness that will fit(I haven't bought one, just looked). The factory wiring needs to plug INTO something but all the harness setups i've looked at also seem to need to plug INTO something and as we all know a plug can't plug into a plug...

This is the stock wiring:

Back of the deck:

There is most likely some easy solution to this that will reveal my stupidity, so fire away, any help appreciated.

Thanks!

there should have been a harness in the back of the player, that just had loose wires coming out of it.. then you buy the harness to mate to the stock plug, again with loose wires out of it.. Then hook both end's loose wires together accordingly....

Well I forgot to post the harness that came with the deck:

Now this was installed in a chevy truck before (not by me) so i'd imagine the big black end part and the wires meeting in the middle where bought to fit the truck? I need to disconnect all the wires meeting in the middle and put on a different harness? So the factory wiring will plug into that, which meets the wires in the middle, which goes into the deck?

Basically if you could point me in the direction of what I need to buy, I'd appreciate it

yeah, thats 2 harnesses hooked together, to go from chev to your player.. So now you will need one specific to your vehicle, cut the old one in half and put the new one in place of the chev half.. It's just a way of keeping things in place rather then cutting off the stock plug and just hooked the wires directly.. you can spend the 15$ or whatever to get the proper plug in, and then if you ever want to take it out, you can put the stock unit back in, and not have to screw with wires.. futureshop should have one, and like I said I think they were 15$ or so

Ok I got it all working.

I had to improvise a little with the ground wire because it was completely different and some of the color coded wires where different.

But it works.

Thanks for the help!

Hey, one more thing.

On the first picture I posted above, do you see the the little purple/white wired little plug that hangs down the most on the far left. What is that? My factory cd/radio ran fine even without it plugged in (I tryed) and the current deck runs fine without it (I had no place to plug it into and there was no extra wires to hook it to) So i'm not sure what it's for? Amp ground? (this grand cherokee has an amp under the back seat that comes stock)

Everything runs good without it but i'm courious as to what it's for?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

do you have a power antenna?
    Cos...

I don't believe so...actually no i don't. hah

But the radio works better than it did before, if that was something to do with the antena wouldn't I be getting crap reception? And i do believe one of the color coded wires said something about a power antena which is already hooked up.
    Last edited by diggity; 09-19-2007 at 03:31 PM.

no the antenna (signal) is the black one on the right of the 1st pic.. It may possibly be for a factory amp... But you'd have to find a wiring diagram for your rig of that yr.. they should be online..

EDIT.. seen you said it ran fine without it, so not likely an amp, cd changer?

EDIT 2: I don't think it's a changer either.. I found this site:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/audiowire.htm

and it says PCI connector... Personal control interface? seems to be what that is, so do you have controls on your steering wheel?
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 09-22-2007 at 09:58 AM.

I dont have a CD Changer

I do have cruise controls on the steering wheel and i just tested them to see if they work and they don't lol.

Thats something I have rarely ever used so it's not much of a loss. Having the wire unplugged shouldn't affect anything else right? Such as the airbags..

Also, if I wanted to have the cruise working, what would I do? Do most decks come with the ability to plug this into and it's just mine that doesn't....? (This is an old 2003-2004 deck I had laying around)

Thanks.
    Last edited by diggity; 09-26-2007 at 04:57 PM.

it's not cruise control

it could be that its wired for stereo controls, but yours just doesn't have it..