Quantcast
Edmonton Oilers 07-08 MEGA thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 07-08 MEGA thread

My Ride
    Lexus RX400h

Default Edmonton Oilers 07-08 MEGA thread

I figured its time to start a new thread for the 07-08 Oilers season. Please argue discuss topics related to the Oilers.

I am pretty happy overall with all of the off season tractions that KLowe has made but still feel we need a top 6 scoring threat. I cannot wait to see how our young guys do this year. It can't get any worse than last year right ????

Nope, it can't get any worse than last year despite what people seem to be predicting.

We'll be right in the thick of things again this year - no, we won't win the conference or for that matter the division, but I also don't think we're going to finish 12th or 13th like some other people.

The biggest thing people are forgetting is that this was a competitive team last year before the injury situation - yeah it sounds like an excuse, but when you're so hurt defensively that you run out of people to call up from the minors and you have to move Toby Petersen on D you might as well just throw in the towel.

The offense looks weak again, but if Hemsky plays like he can and Torres recovers with a good season we should be okay up front. The additions of Souray and Pitkanen are huge because they'll provide a lot more scoring from the back end especially on the powerplay.

Oh and speaking of the powerplay, the moment Craig Simpson left it instantly became 100% better.

In the end I'd expect Edmonton to finish somewhere around 8th...if they get some hot goaltending or make a move at the deadline for a quality forward we might be able to jump up into 6th or 7th. Conversely, if Hemsky or Stoll get hurt, we're fucked.

My Ride
    0 - 60 In 10 minutes.

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

I was at the Calgary - Edmonton game on Saturday night and the D looked a little suspect. They had Sourey playing with Mat Greene on the top line which I don't think he is ready for...

On the good front Stoll look fantastic, he was flying all over the ice all night. Everytime he was on the ice he was dangerous. Good to see him back in game shape, hopefully he keeps his head up and doesn't get his melon scrambled again!

Comments like the one above are not nessecary, if you not a fan of the Oilers or hockey keep to the Flames forum and leave your opinons there...

the thread starters name is gonefishing...

oh the ability foreshadow....
    Last edited by urbannomad; 09-26-2007 at 04:36 PM.

RC, Matt Greene was just there because it was preseason - I think that Staios, Souray, Pitkanen and Smid will be the top 4 to start the season and deservedly so. Greene and Tarnstrom should get the 5/6 spots leaving Grebeshkov as the 7th guy.

Yeah Stoll's terrific - he was having an awesome season last year too until Pahlsson hit him from behind.

And Flames fans...you have a thread for yourself and as far as I know there's nothing forcing you to come into this thread. If you want to come in here and offer an insightful opinion you're more an entitled to - and in fact a lot of the Flames fans I know are smart hockey people and offer good opinions on subjects dealing with other teams. If you can't do that though, just don't click the title for the thread - it's as simple as that.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Schremp got sent down to the minors today (along with 8 others, including Syvret).

I think that's it for him ... this is his 3rd try I think, and he still can't crack the lineup? Yikes. Too bad for the guy, but you can't say he hasn't had his chances. A spot was there for him to take. I'd be much happier with Gagner or Brodziuk starting out the regular season this year.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

I just don't understand what the Oilers are doing on defense. They get Souray, Pitkanen and Tarnstrom, all offensive defensemen, while having a terrible forward section. It's like they are expecting their D-men to provide to scoring and the O-men to defend, or something.

While the breakout passes and blueline shooting might be a threat, I'm predicting that Edmonton is going to give up too many goals and not score enough to be a real threat. Last in the NW for sure.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    94 Teg

The D is gunna be finneeee.

GO HEMSKY!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Last edited by Hamilton515; 01-12-2019 at 04:20 PM.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Originally posted by HyperZell
    I just don't understand what the Oilers are doing on defense. They get Souray, Pitkanen and Tarnstrom, all offensive defensemen, while having a terrible forward section. It's like they are expecting their D-men to provide to scoring and the O-men to defend, or something.

While the breakout passes and blueline shooting might be a threat, I'm predicting that Edmonton is going to give up too many goals and not score enough to be a real threat. Last in the NW for sure.
    Don't underestimate how big of a deal the transition game is....I made that mistake last year.

Not having puck-moving defenseman was our biggest downfall in terms of scoring last season.

My Ride
    2000 323i

Originally posted by Doozer
    Schremp got sent down to the minors today (along with 8 others, including Syvret).

I think that's it for him ... this is his 3rd try I think, and he still can't crack the lineup? Yikes. Too bad for the guy, but you can't say he hasn't had his chances. A spot was there for him to take. I'd be much happier with Gagner or Brodziuk starting out the regular season this year.
    One of the smarter Oiler fan things I've heard lately. A ton of them still think Schremp is supreme ownage omglol! I know the Oilers management has been suspect, but you don't bench a player in the AHL because he's good (can't blame the Oilers either...that was the Penguins idea). Unfortunately, I still don't think the Oilers will make a major splash this year. The Oilers had one of the best puck movers in the league in 06, and a few forwards over-achieved. The Oilers did under-achieve last year, but not horrendously. The NW division will, as usual, be a tough one. Also, unless Garon really steps up, the Oilers aren't too great in net, as Roloson is over-rated, and will be backing up by December. Horcoff being a whiner doesn't help (see sportsnet.ca Hockey hearsay)
    Mike

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

I agree with Schremp being sent back down to Springfield.

What interests me is how Cogliano and Nillson and Gagner are doing; young talent that looks like they'll make the team this year.

I don't think last in the NW is going to be their fate. We were first in the NW last year until December, and I think we have a competetive team.

When Roli is good, he's damn good. When he's off, he's pretty bad. Garon should make a fine 2nd starter.

My Ride
    2000 323i

I think Garon will supplant Roloson quickly. I think he was playing way over his head. He is easily annoyed, and imagine having Holmstrom in front of him for 4 games a year, and Smyth in his face another 8. That'll shatter him completely. I think Cogliano and Gagner are good players with a ton of potential. I haven't seen much of Nilsson so I have no clue there, but I've heard he isn't ranked as high in prospect tables as high as most first rounders from this year. I just don't think a -28 defenseman, a young blueliner with suspect work ethic, and Tarnstrom (who Oilers fans loved when he was there, hated when he left, and now love again.....who knows.....) will help them a whole lot. For the Oilers to succeed, I feel that Sam Gagner has to really excel, to first line status, and finish real well (don't rely on Hemsky to do much of that) Penner has to play better defensively (see his +/- last year compared to his usual linemates in Anaheim) and he also has to do a great Smyth impression on the PP. Hemsky has to play tougher, and shoot more, because EVERY goalie cheats towards a pass when Hemsky has the puck (they did on Huselius, so he started shooting to keep them honest). Stoll has to stay healthy, but that's it (I'm a fan of his play). Torres has to find half his 05-06 scoring, Souray has to be better defensively....I can go on. Then again, most NW teams have big ifs. Colorado has a HUGE "if" in net, Calgary has one behind the bench, another making 4 million on the blueline, (and another making 1.5 million ie. Anders Eriksson, if he isn't a COMPLETE piece of shit, they might do well) Minnesota, if Backstrom isn't a flash in the pan, Vancouver, If they find offense (while they're good defensively, the shelf life of a defensive strategy in the new NHL hasn't really exceeded one year on any team). I don't think the Oilers are done already...they just have more "ifs" than the rest of the teams in their division.
    Mike

My Ride
    Lexus RX400h

Originally posted by HuMz

Don't underestimate how big of a deal the transition game is....I made that mistake last year.

Not having puck-moving defenseman was our biggest downfall in terms of scoring last season.
    thats how i feel about the Oilers this year too. and damn did you guys see that blast from Souray last night BOOM!

Shremp I think was slated to start in the AHL right off the start of training camp and I'm fine with that.

He's coming off of an injury and all through the pre-season he was playing with 4th line garbage, while Gagner and Cogliano found themselves getting much better chances.

That doesn't mean Shremp's done though - this is his year to prove he still has it - it's our farm team now so there isn't going to be stupid Pittsburgh mis-management screwing him over. I'd expect him to be the 1st or 2nd line centre and get a ton of PP time in the AHL to prove his worth.

Nissan, lots of people are writing us off...there's no surprise there. It's to be expected after the shit season we had last year - but like 95 mentioned, we were 1st in the NW to start December last year and that's without Moreau.

While you're right in worrying about the defensive game of our defence I think too many people are seeing bad +/- numbers and making assumptions about the defensive play of some guys...particularly Pitkanen and Souray. Yeah both had horrid +/-'s last year, but look at their teams...Montreal was the worst 5 on 5 team in the NHL and Philly just flat out sucked. Souray was a career +1 before last year, yet people seem to completely disregard that fact which he earned over 7 seasons and just choose to look at least year. Pitkanen is still a career +12 even after last year.

These guys are a lot better defensively than people give them credit for...add in Staios who's a rock and Smid who's got #1 potential and it's not all doom and gloom for Oilers fans.

We'll see how it works out though...

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Ugh - I don't want to hear anything else about last year. The team has been totally mixed up from last year, so you can't use that as a base for a prediction. The top scorer is gone and you now have 2 new and expensive D-men.

And speaking of those D-men - like I said before, the top three (Souray, Pitkanen, Tarnstrom) are offensive defensemen. That's just how they play. But that's not going to be enough - they need forwards that can play with them (receiving passes, covering the rush, etc). The problem is that Edmonton doesn't have quality or quantity in their offense, and that their defensive play is going to get compromised.

I like that comment from Nissanaddict about Smyth in front of Roloson though...haha I never thought of it that way. The Oilers are going to get a taste of their own medicine.

My Ride
    94 Teg

Originally posted by HyperZell
    Ugh - I don't want to hear anything else about last year. The team has been totally mixed up from last year, so you can't use that as a base for a prediction. The top scorer is gone and you now have 2 new and expensive D-men.

And speaking of those D-men - like I said before, the top three (Souray, Pitkanen, Tarnstrom) are offensive defensemen. That's just how they play. But that's not going to be enough - they need forwards that can play with them (receiving passes, covering the rush, etc). The problem is that Edmonton doesn't have quality or quantity in their offense, and that their defensive play is going to get compromised.

I like that comment from Nissanaddict about Smyth in front of Roloson though...haha I never thought of it that way. The Oilers are going to get a taste of their own medicine.

There bloody defencemen for a reason. who gives a shit if they are "offensive defencemen". The defence aspect has greatly improved from last year weather you think it or not.
    Get over youself
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by SneakyNeek

There bloody defencemen for a reason. who gives a shit if they are "offensive defencemen". The defence aspect has greatly improved from last year weather you think it or not.
    Get over youself
    LOL wtf?

First of all, I think the "weather" is partly cloudy a high of plus 15. Secondly, you have shown remarkable insight by just saying "it's greatly improved". Maybe you should get a job tossing around general statements with a complete disregard for backing them up - maybe you could be Commissioner.

You have no idea of the depths of hockey if you don't think being an offensive or defensive defenseman matters. That would make Robyn Regehr and Brian McCabe the same type of generic defenseman. Why don't we just say that it doesn't matter if a forward is a playmaker or a grinder? Idiot.

My Ride
    2000 323i

I know you can't say "last year can't be used as a basis for how a player will play", but in some cases it can. Souray either had a bad year, or has shat the bed, and is done. While he was a -28, Andrei Markov, a guy he definitely got minutes with, was a +2. Komisarek was a +7. If Souray was at least decent, he would be maybe a -10 on a bad even strength team. I'll admit, maybe he had an off year. All I've been saying, is that Souray is an "if". If you play the odds, the most iffy team, will probably do the worst.
    Mike

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast