Quantcast
5D vs 40D...which one to pick? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5D vs 40D...which one to pick?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by sputnik

- full frame sensor

- ability to shoot at 1600/3200 ISO without noisy images... better image quality in general

- quiet shutter for shooting ceremonies without being a distraction
    I'd have to agree with these points.

ISO 1600 on the 5D is about as noisy as ISO 400 on the 20D. By the time you downsize a 12.8MP image to fit inside an 8x10 print, most noise will be gone or hidden anyways. Also the first thing I instantly noticed when firing the 5D was how quieter the shutter was and how much softer the shutter button felt.

I found the colour a lot more pleasing on the 5D as well, even with both bodies custom balanced in the same lighting conditions.

Now how well the 40D compares, I couldn't say.

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    From your description, I would say that the Zorki-10 is definitely the camera for you. It's the best value in full-frame cameras on the market!

...yeah, I'm not giving advice on Canon stuff. I've never used either!
    Yeah I've read about that camera, it's so sweet If I had the cash to switch systems, I totally would.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Melinda

Yeah I've read about that camera, it's so sweet If I had the cash to switch systems, I totally would.
    Absolutely, I've decided to make a significant investment into the classic Russian hardware. The selenium meters were stunningly accurate, and the round-the-element design is an easy rival to centerweighted TTL metering. Put some Ilford HP5 ISO 500 or Velvia 160 in there and be prepared to cry tears of joy.

It's really amazing that the Russian equipment isn't more popular, the quality is really stunning.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Plus with the extremely light-weight Soviet material bodies, that thing feels like nothing in your hands, making any VR system completely unnecessary even for the shakiest of hands.

My Ride
    03 Monte Carlo SS

Melinda, if you can borrow your grandpa's 5D, why not just go crazy for a day with all your lenses and test, lighting conditions etc. I think that is a great opportunity!

If your line of work is geared more towards weddings then the quiet shutter and high ISO quality is very beneficial for you I would guess.
    Somebody gonna getta hurt real bad..

My Ride
    EG, CRX, EK

I was playing with the new 40D at Mcbain camera on Monday and it's a dam neat soul stealer, $1700 is what they quoted me but I want a better deal.
    I peed on my screen trying to clam this web page as mine

My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33

If you can get the 5D for 2300, you should jump on it.

^^ You won't find it cheaper unless you want to buy used/ebay. $1759 is retail price almost everywhere in Calgary for the 17-85mm kit.

5D is now $2899 regular price at the camera store. Not sure if that is super good or not. I thought someone said $3200 before was a good price.

The guy at Japan Camera gave me $1680 for the 40D + 17-85mm

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    5D is now $2899 regular price at the camera store. Not sure if that is super good or not. I thought someone said $3200 before was a good price.
    there is a 700$ rebate on the 5D right now

Originally posted by blam

there is a 700$ rebate on the 5D right now
    But you have to buy something else too, right? Still that's pretty good.

But you have to buy something else too, right? Still that's pretty good.
    Buying the 5D grip with the body makes it worthwhile.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

1DmkIII

get the best of both worlds... and double the price too! haha

Originally posted by sl888
    The guy at Japan Camera gave me $1680 for the 40D + 17-85mm
    What location? Name of the salesman? Thanks
    Last edited by phreezee; 10-03-2007 at 11:37 AM.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Originally posted by benyl
    1DmkIII

get the best of both worlds... and double the price too! haha
    LOL! Word. that's what I did.

in any case... I have never considered full frame to be a selling point. Who the F cares. I know of some of the most amazing photographers still running around with 20D's.

I say, if you're used to 1.6, just stick with it. The 40D will give people as much image quality as they'll ever need. And if you post process your files at all, especially in RAW, then the 'better colour of the 5D' is moot.

the 1D3 has arguably less noise at high iso than the 5D. Yeah, it's super clean, I can vouch for that. But it doesn't stop me from grabbing the 20D as my go-to cam for dark wedding reception shooting. The 20/30/40D, while noisier than the 5D, are still quite amazingly clean if you know anything about correct exposure.

But in reality, there are only TWO reasons I want to upgrade my 20 and 30D to the 40D, and think the 5D falls behind:

Highlight Tone Priority: My gosh, what a great feature. I never turn it off! It adds a whole lot of dynamic range in the highlight end of the spectrum. Just awesome!

Focusing system: The 20/30/5D are based on a 9-point AF system (with the 5D having a couple non-selectable assist points) with a centre focus point that is a cross-type for extra precision, but only is active with lenses 2.8 or faster.

The 40D, on the other hand, is in a new league. Though it retains the 9 point system, ALL NINE are extra precise CROSS type sensors, and all crosses are active with lenses 5.6 and faster! That is a LOT LOT more precision, and obviously the sensitivity is much better as they all work with 5.6 lenses. that's a huge gain! I'll bet you can now use outer focus points accurately in the dark now. Currently, I can only do this with my 1D.

And then to top it all off, they made an extra super precise diagonal cross type sensor in the centre, available with F/2.8 or faster lenses.

All this means a focus system that is at over three times more light sensitive, and with nine times the cross type points.

To me, at this point, I think the 5D is a waste of money with the 40D in the lineup. Of course, once the 5D successor comes out, it will also have all these features too.
    Last edited by AccentAE86; 10-03-2007 at 12:25 PM.

In that first test, I cannot tell a single difference between any of the images, which is what I have been reading consistently on the forums as well but then again I've never used the camera myself.

My Ride
    Highlander

Thank you SO much to everyone with helpful advice in this area, especially those who have used both and can give me some first hand knowledge. We went out on the weekend and I did a bit of playing around with both cameras which was more useful then anything I could have read online!

Lloyd, your post made me very happy that I have chosen to go with the 40D, which I believe I am picking up tomorrow (thursday) so thank you for your awesome review and feed back!

You guys are awesome!

My Ride
    Highlander

The 5D is due for an upgrade is it not? One option would be to go 40D until the 5D upgrade comes out. It should be next in line, but of course there is no telling when that will be. That said, if you are doing weddings and landscapes for a living perhaps the 5D would be the best choice for the low noise and wide angle capabilities. Everything I've seen (and read on the Canon forums) suggests the 40D is a step down from the 30D in the noise control department, however I do not have any personal experience. There seems to be a lot of very mixed opinions about the 40D on the camera forums. Henry's Canada is still selling 30D's for $999.

Disclaimer: I am not a Canon shooter so I can only tell you what I read

In that first test, I cannot tell a single difference between any of the images, which is what I have been reading consistently on the forums as well but then again I've never used the camera myself.
    I appreciate your help and admire your enthusiasm, but I was looking more for advice and opinions from people with some direct experience with these two cameras.

Originally posted by phreezee

What location? Name of the salesman? Thanks
    Sunridge
    Rahim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast