Quantcast
Hundreds of Illegal Mexicans claim Refugee status in Windsor - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hundreds of Illegal Mexicans claim Refugee status in Windsor

My Ride
    2000 Jetta

Default Hundreds of Illegal Mexicans claim Refugee status in Windsor

Windsor coping with influx of Mexican migrants
    Updated Fri. Sep. 21 2007 10:57 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A wave of illegal Mexican migrants has overwhelmed shelters and emergency services in Windsor, and it could be more than a year before their claims of refugee status are dealt with by Canadian authorities.

"Just yesterday evening, we received another 20 (people). I have no place to put them," Windsor Mayor Eddie Francis said.

Francis said it's so far cost the city about $230,000, about 20 per cent of the annual budget for shelters.

More than 200 illegal immigrants have crossed the Detroit-Windsor border in the past two weeks, on the run from an immigration crackdown in the United States.

Windsor's unemployment rate is currently pushing 10 per cent, making the influx of jobless refugees the last thing its economy needed.

Meanwhile, the refugees have begun to settle in. On Thursday, one refugee gave birth to a baby, now a legal Canadian citizen. Another woman is expecting any day, CTV Ottawa reported.

Dozens have begun receiving welfare benefits from the government while they wait for their refugee claim cases to be processes. Most of the claims have little chance of success.

The wave of migrants to Canada comes after U.S. President George Bush promised a crackdown on illegal immigration.

The New York Times reported that an organization in Naples, Fla., was the first to promote Canada as a haven for refugees, and charged a fee for assisting with the paperwork. Other groups cashed in on the scam.

"It is really regrettable that people are taking advantage of them and making money off of their misery," said Rivka Augenfeld, with the Canadian Council on Refugees.

According to Canada's department of Citizen and Immigration, those groups have been providing "false and misleading information" on Canada's immigration policies.

In a warning published on its website this week, Citizenship and Immigration cautioned foreign nationals to avoid the misinformation.

"Please note that the Government of Canada has no special programs to fast track applications, give preferential treatment or grant refugee status to Haitians, Mexicans or other nationals seeking refugee status," the notice reads.

It also gave the following tips to help immigrants avoid being taken in by people trying to make a profit off of spreading the misinformation:

You cannot purchase admission or refugee status.
    You do not need to purchase forms.
    You cannot "exchange" U.S. documents for any type of Canadian "permit."
    A spokesman for Citizenship and Immigration said Canadian officials have met with U.S. refugee groups in an attempt to curb the spread of misleading information.

Francis told the Canadian Press the influx has consumed 20 per cent of the city's annual $1-million emergency shelter budget.

The problem will only get worse as groups start popping up elsewhere in the United States.

"We may very well see this not only coming up from Florida but also Texas and California into the B.C. crossings," said NDP MP Joe Comartin.

In the first half of this year, more than 3,000 Mexican refugee claims were referred to the refugee board. Thirteen per cent of the 1,123 claims that were finalized in that period were accepted.

Canada has seen an increase in Mexican refugee claims over the past few years. Since 2005, it has been the top country, with almost 5,000 referred to the board last year alone.
    It seems to be more like a 1 year paid vacation for the illegals, courtesy of Canadian tax payers. The government better put together some sort of plan to get the deportation going asap.

My Ride
    w163

Or send em to Calgary to work.

My Ride
    2000 Jetta

With city shelters filled and a surge of further refugee claimants expected to flood into Windsor, Mayor Eddie Francis is pleading for financial help from Ottawa.

"When there is a possibility of adding thousands to the local social assistance system as a result of refugee claimants crossing the border into Windsor, we will become overwhelmed and our current resources will not suffice," Francis wrote in a letter sent Wednesday to Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Over the past three weeks, 45 families and 31 individuals -- approximately 200 people -- entered Canada at the Detroit River crossings and applied in Windsor for shelter and social assistance after filing refugee claims with the Canada Border Services Agency. Municipal agencies dealing with the sudden influx of mainly Mexican refugee applicants are renting out hotel rooms and bracing for predicted thousands more to come.

We don't have the means, ability or capacity to deal with this additional cost. We are not able to deal with this potential crisis locally," Francis wrote Harper.

"I don't believe that Windsor's residents and taxpayers should have to foot the bill for U.S. immigration policy," Francis told The Star. He was referring to the suspected source of the problem -- a recently begun crackdown on illegal immigrants in economically struggling regions of the U.S. South.

With the bulk of the latest arrivals being long-time Mexican illegals dislodged from their homes and workplaces in southwestern Florida, fingers are being pointed at unscrupulous outfits charging money and then directing desperate individuals and their families toward the Windsor border crossing.

"We are aware of these operations -- they have been advertising incorrect and false information," said Marina Wilson, a spokeswoman for Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Wilson said Canadian immigration authorities have started contacting the Mexican and Haitian communities in Florida, as well as local media there, to get the word out that nothing has changed in Canadian refugee policy.

"The fact someone wants to come here for better economic opportunity or a better quality of life ... that's no basis for a successful refugee claim," said Immigration Refugee Board (IRB) spokesman Charles Hawkins.

But a group operating out of Naples, Fla., vowed to continue sending the so-called economic refugees to Windsor.

"They ask, 'Is Canada an option?' and I say, 'Yes, it is an option,'" Jacques Sinjuste of the Jerusalem Haitian Community Center said in a phone interview Wednesday. For a US$300 "donation" (most of those interviewed in Windsor claim they paid US$400), JHCC staff download forms off the Internet, help applicants fill them out and give directions on how to get to the Canadian border.

Sinjuste said he's simply providing a "referral" service.

"Most of the time when the people come, they say they've heard something (about Canada). I say that I've heard the same thing," he said.

Jacquie Rumiel, director of programs for new Canadians at the YMCA, where refugee claimants are referred by Windsor's border guards, said the new people she's seeing are "mostly" Mexicans coming from Florida.

To be successful, refugee claimants must prove they are fleeing persecution at home, something most of the Mexicans arriving in Windsor would be hard-pressed to do. The IRB's Hawkins said there was only a 13 per cent acceptance rate of refugee claims filed by Mexican nationals during the first six months of the year, compared to an overall rate of 47 per cent.

But the average processing time for a refugee claim in Canada is currently 14.2 months, said Hawkins, a period during which the applicant is eligible for financial and other support. A failed claimant then also has the right to seek leave to appeal his or her rejection to federal court.

Despite the high number of failed applications cited by the IRB, Sinjuste said he gets calls to his Naples centre from "a lot of people" who've arrived in Windsor.

"They say everything is okay -- they are doing good, going to schools, going to work," he said.

Sinjuste said he was visited last week by an official from the Canadian consulate general in Miami but couldn't remember if he was told to stop helping economic refugees go to Canada.

"I don't think they tell me that," he said. Federal bureaucrats confirmed the meeting but said they couldn't divulge details.

Others are warning about the types of activities Sinjuste is engaged in.

"The way he's misleading the most vulnerable is infuriating," said Pegg Roberts, executive director of Detroit's Freedom House, which runs a shelter and assists asylum-seekers with their refugee claims. Sinjuste said he uses the Freedom House website to download refugee claim forms and advises the people he assists to seek help there.

"I do not help economic refugees," said Roberts, adding her non-profit organization assists the fleeing victims of torture and war crimes and has no affiliation with the JHCC.

"This is a problem the U.S. has allowed to create. It's really unfair for Canada to have to face this," said MP Joe Comartin (NDP -- Windsor-Tecumseh), his Party's public safety and national security critic.

"This is very much being driven by (the U.S. Department of) Homeland Security," he said, predicting that, "with few exceptions," most of these "economic claimants" will eventually be sent back.

What a cocksucker. He's going to get rich off of this, and eventually the Canadian government is going to have to cut the refugee policy to people who actually deserve it.

Mark my words, there is going to be at least one Mexican dying of exposure this winter in Winnipeg after he's the odd one out of whatever emergency provisions they set up for them

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by bobby_lu
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Memories...

Originally posted by bobby_lu
    If this continues I don't think it will be too long before they start showing up here. And your right, this influx of unskilled labor would be great for our job market but unfortunately they won't be able to afford to live here.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Just machine gun them down at the border. I suspect they only have to do it once, and no one will try again.

LOL... I never got this "illegal immigrant" BS. Put em on a bus, ship em back. And How can a baby of an illegal immigrant automatically be granted Canadian citizenship? That is fucking retarded.

Who thinks this shit up?

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

Oh god, they found Canada.......

My Ride
    You Crazy

They are already shipping mexicans up here to work using the excuse of "lack of labour". The crooked fuck catering company that caters at Spruce Meadows is doing it.....

Why? Cause they wanna pay a catering waiter/watiress $11 an hour and no tips. The crooked fuck takes the entire check, and the gratuity that is most often automatically tacked on, and keeps it tax free for himself.....

So they imported a bunch of Mexicans that work for nothing (room and board basically)

There is no "no skill" labour shortage in Alberta. You just have to pay, and companies are reluctant to step upto the plate.

My Ride
    something green

We can't even find people who want to work, and neither can our customers, its not all about pay either Toma, we have had people pay our electricians charge out rate plus a travel charge, to do menial tasks like move stacks of catering dishes in a hotel, why, because there simply was no one else to do it..
    I have been on the search for someone to apprentice for 6 months.. No takers..Nobody likes physical work, every young person wants to be an IT guy or a rig pig, and everyone else is carrying pipe up scaffolding downtown..
    Give them a social insurance card, and put em to work..
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Maxt
    We can't even find people who want to work, and neither can our customers, its not all about pay either Toma, we have had people pay our electricians charge out rate plus a travel charge, to do menial tasks like move stacks of catering dishes in a hotel, why, because there simply was no one else to do it..
    I have been on the search for someone to apprentice for 6 months.. No takers..Nobody likes physical work, every young person wants to be an IT guy or a rig pig, and everyone else is carrying pipe up scaffolding downtown..
    I said "no skill"

As in waiter, cashiers at Walmart, Tim Hortons, 7-eleven.

Tons of people out there looking for work. There is no shortage. But $9.80 an hour that safeway pays is not gonna cut it. They are gonna have to pay $15 an hour, and I guarantee you there will be no shortage.

Edit... well now that I think about it.... even skilled trades. If you were willing to pay an apprentice $50 an hour and guarantee a 40 hour week, do you REALLY think you would have a problem finding someone?
    Last edited by Toma; 09-29-2007 at 11:32 AM.

My Ride
    2000 Jetta

There are around 1 billion people in India who would love to come here and work too, the thing is that they have to go through due process in order to do so. The same should be true for Mexicans.

Apparently another busload is coming
    Organizer says prepare for more Mexican refugees

WINDSOR, Ont. -- Another busload of Mexican refugees is headed for Windsor next week, the man many believe responsible for sending hundreds of refugees to the city told Mayor Eddie Francis at a meeting Friday morning.

Jacques Sinjuste, from the Jerusalem Haitian Community Centre in Naples, Fla., met with Francis for about half an hour.

Francis said Sinjuste told him another group was coming by bus -- as many as 60 people -- in the first week of October and that accommodations had been reserved for them in Detroit, although Sinjuste said his group had nothing to do with the trip.

Sinjuste said the bus would be arriving on Oct. 3 or 5.

Another three families and one individual presented themselves at Windsor border crossings claiming refugee status Thursday evening, Francis said, bringing the total registered with social services in Windsor to 244. Altogether, more than 300 refugees have appeared in the last few weeks, according to the Canada Border Services Agency.

Francis said he stressed with Sinjuste the flow of refugees has to stop.

"My message to him was that if you want to help people you shouldn't send them to a place where they are going to be sitting on the floor of the Salvation Army," said Francis.

"Now we're beyond capacity, we do not have the means, and people are not getting the help here. If anything, you should not be involved either directly or indirectly with providing people with false hope."

Sinjuste said another person was responsible for sending refugees to Windsor and she was charging $1,200 a head to bring them here.

When told of Sinjuste's comments, Francis expressed disdain.

"It's pretty frightening when an organization knows what the price point of their competition is," Francis said.

Sinjuste said he was happy with the meeting and said Francis was a "nice person."

"My side is that ... in reality I do not send them here, I send them to Freedom House," a refugee agency in Detroit.

He said he accepts donations from applicants and that they don't have to pay if they don't want to.

"Ninety-eight per cent of the people that come through my office pay $200 or less," Sinjuste said.

Sinjuste said he plans to be in the Windsor area until Monday, but declined to tell the media or Francis exactly what his plans are.

"That's somewhat concerning to me," said Francis.

"I have my own personal beliefs. As to what I'm concerned about is him trying in an organized attempt to find places that will provide lodging, house individuals until they can cross over, that's a serious concern. Whether or not he's doing that, I'm not going to make judgment on that. All I know is there's a place in Detroit that has secured a busload of individuals to be housed. That scares me."
    The thing is that you are not allowed ot submit a claim for refugee from a 3rd safe country (IE USA). If these people really wanted to claim refugee they would have to do it straight from Mexico.

The government better deal with this swiftly and with some ferocity to set a precident for future illegal refugee seekers.

Hopefully some good Mexican food places on the way shortly.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Toms-SC
    Hopefully some good Mexican food places on the way shortly.
    Man, I dunno about mexican, but I do love "Fat Burger"

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by Toma

I said "no skill"

As in waiter, cashiers at Walmart, Tim Hortons, 7-eleven.

Tons of people out there looking for work. There is no shortage. But $9.80 an hour that safeway pays is not gonna cut it. They are gonna have to pay $15 an hour, and I guarantee you there will be no shortage.

Edit... well now that I think about it.... even skilled trades. If you were willing to pay an apprentice $50 an hour and guarantee a 40 hour week, do you REALLY think you would have a problem finding someone?
    Read it again Toma.. People arent even available to carry stacks of dishes, to get it done they paid 70 an hour..
    We are paying more than Union trade wages even for NO SKILL BEGINNER FIRST YEARS , and we still get no takers, on top of offering a chance for subsidized education with it..
    You must not be living on the same planet as the rest of us, they closed the Harveys in foothills, they couldnt get burger slingers for 15.00 an hour..
    Canada has a declining birth rate, and a labour shortage.. Bring em in train them and put some salsa in the mix..
    Who's the conservative now...
    Last edited by Maxt; 09-29-2007 at 01:09 PM.
    Too loud for Aspen

+1 for the Mexican restaurant idea. But that will start another argument. Just wait.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Read it again Toma.. People arent even available to carry stacks of dishes, to get it done they paid 70 an hour..
    We are paying more than Union trade wages even for NO SKILL BEGINNER FIRST YEARS , and we still get no takers, on top of offering a chance for subsidized education with it..
    You must not be living on the same planet as the rest of us, they closed the Harveys in foothills, they couldnt get burger slingers for 15.00 an hour..
    Canada has a declining birth rate, and a labour shortage.. Bring em in train them and put some salsa in the mix..
    Who's the conservative now...
    Bullshit.

Harveys foorhills was offering $10.80 and your typical burger flipping kid has no good way to get to foothill industrial (I know cause just before they closed, my gf's 16 yo daughter checked it out - offered her $8.75 an hour cause she was 16)..... and they went out of business for other reasons as well.

What you are advocating is bringing in slaves so that you can get your 4.2 Tim Hortons coffees a day and still pay $1.29 for them.

There is no labour shortage.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-30-2020 at 03:48 AM.

My Ride
    something green

More facts from your girlfriend again, sure.... They had a sign on up on the boulevard forever, and made the news on the shutdown.. I ate their regularly, there was no lack of business.. They arent the only fastfood in town that had to close either, or shut down the dining room for half the day. If you girlfriends daughter can not find a job for 12 + plus, she is not looking very hard or has criminal issues.. Even retail in the small town I live in, is paying over that..
    I am advocating that we bring in people to fill a legitimate void, work is not getting done Toma, anyone with their head not stuck in their ass and not living in their parents basement knows this.. Why do you think fast food is what it is for price now? Why do you think the lineup at Canadian tire is 30 people long, with some pimply faced kid giving shit customer service, because they know they can walk across to staples and make 15 an hour if they get any grief ..
    Go to any industrial wholesale in the city, they have no counter staff, they are paying in the 25 range for just being able to assemble pipe orders, yet they cant get anyone.. Why, because there simply is no one.... Fuck man, you can make 20 an hour even in the rural area I live in just by proving your heart is beating..
    The only people not working, are people that do not want to work, and the statistics prove that..
    Coffee shops offering signing bonuses, should be half a fucking clue..
    People are willing to pay in this city, but we all know your ideology wants to paint business's as the bad guy whatever the scenario..
    Beside what would you know about hiring being a socialist and so anti business..
    Last edited by Maxt; 09-29-2007 at 01:55 PM.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by 01RedDX

There is a skilled labour shortage, but it's not an outright labour epidemic like you make it sound.

Have you tried hiring anybody? The economy is actually stunted now from people not being able to staff the growth..
    The reason for half the union skilled trades meltdown is that unskilled labour wages were approaching that of unionized skilled trades... It was getting scary to hear a guy with no skill could pull down as much as a general tradesmen..
    Last edited by Maxt; 09-29-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    Too loud for Aspen

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast