Quantcast
What is the Best Point and Shoot Camera for the money? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the Best Point and Shoot Camera for the money?

My Ride
    Z

Default What is the Best Point and Shoot Camera for the money?

I have a Sony T-7 right now and it isn't going to cut it anymore.

If the lighting isn't perfect the pictures suck. Can't zoom while recording videos. My hands are to big to use it lol. I always catch my thumb in the way of what I'm trying to record or take a picture of.

I want to buy something that will work good in any situation. A lot of what I use it for is videos at drift events and what not. But I don't want a camcorder for it. I want it to be pretty durable as well. Because I want to use it for in car videos also.

No tiny screen cameras. Definately want optical as well as digital zoom. The T7 only has digital and it blows goats.

Price range of $0 to $1500.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

If you want to be doing a lot of video aswell... maybe look into something like the Canon TX1. 7.1MP still camera 10x optical zoom, and can record video in 720p... although not the best video, it'll be a lot better than most point and shoots.

My Ride
    WRX STI

I have a point in shoot for sale,

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/191832/fs...ompact-camera/

I found if you want to do videos... go buy a video camera... if you want to shoot pics get a decent camera.

and all in one solution is not the way to go.. I bought a Sony M1 back in the day.. it was ok. But i didnt find it to be strong in video or camera.

the camera was ok but it was hard to hold steady..

the video was really good Mp4 but the lack of zoom and optical stablizer....

YOU NEED AN OPTICAL STABLIZER if you shoot video....

My Ride
    04 Skyline 350GT TT

I bought the New olympus 770W
    Its waterproof to 32 feet, Shock resistant and for what you can do with it.
    Hands down there is nothing that can touch it.

Reviews here.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-32319447.html

The good: Camera is waterproof to 32 feet; shock resistant to short drops and mild impact.

The bad: No manual exposure controls; slightly soft images

The bottom line: Olympus' Stylus 770SW might not produce perfect images, but you'd be hard pressed to find a compact camera as tough as this one.

544 wrhp 555 ft/lbs torque @ 15psi

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

If you are looking for just a point and shoot, buying a Leica D-LUX is probably the best point and shoot out there. If you know what a Leica is, I don't need to tell you about the quality that you are going to get. If you are unaware of this brand, do a bit of research and see what a point and shoot is able to do. They make DSLR and some of the finest cameras in the world.

I personally like my Canon A570IS.

Can get a much better camera than that for under $250.

I also don't need anything over featured as my wife has a vast array of DSLRs in case I need to do something more complex.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

I found if you want to do videos... go buy a video camera... if you want to shoot pics get a decent camera.

and all in one solution is not the way to go.. I bought a Sony M1 back in the day.. it was ok. But i didnt find it to be strong in video or camera.
    This is true... I definately didn't see your price range... if you are willing to spend up to $1500, you can definately get yourself a really nice point and shoot, aswell as a pretty good video camera.

My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33

The Panasonic DMC-TZ3 is a really good camera that you should look into. It's got 10X zoom with a leica lens, image stabilizer, and a 3 inch screen.

With your budget, you can get anything you want. Head on down to a store and play around with a few. So many choices.

And holy shit, 9 replies in a "recommend a camera thread" and nothing from Mitsu3000gt??
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by lint

And holy shit, 9 replies in a "recommend a camera thread" and nothing from Mitsu3000gt??

Originally posted by lint
    With your budget, you can get anything you want. Head on down to a store and play around with a few. So many choices.

I've never really understood why you get your panties in a bunch every time I make a post, even when more often than not they are saying the exact same thing as many other posts in the thread. If you did have a ligitimate reason, you would be saying the same thing to a bunch of other people as well. Additionally, I make fewer posts here than a lot of people. Maybe you have too much time on your hands?

My Ride
    WRX STI

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I've never really understood why you get your panties in a bunch every time I make a post, even when more often than not they are saying the exact same thing as many other posts in the thread. If you did have a ligitimate reason, you would be saying the same thing to a bunch of other people as well. Additionally, I make fewer posts here than a lot of people. Maybe you have too much time on your hands?
    You have just always been on the ball with camera questions. DOnt worry dude you have been uber helpful

if you're willing to spend up to 1500....get a rebel XT or D40 with kit lens and a video camera....

My Ride
    WRX STI

He doesent need to get a SLR if he just wants a point and shoot. There are plently point and shoots that have awesome video and good pictures. Just head over to the camera store and play around with them

My Ride
    Z

I only want one camera though. The videos don't need to be HD quality I just want to be able to zoom while recording and be able to see what's happening.

I don't want anything complicated as my GF needs to be able to operate it aswell lol. I don't want to have a giant camera bag for lenses and what not.

I just want a good MULTIpurpose camera.

My Ride
    WRX STI

I liked my Kodak, it wasent to small for my hands, but still fit in my my pocket. Video was great and so were the pics. I just cant remmeber if the video zoomed or not lol

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by blam
    if you're willing to spend up to 1500....get a rebel XT or D40 with kit lens and a video camera....
    I wouldn't go this route at all. From what I've seen DSLR Nikon auto function is complete crap to most of the PnS's auto.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by BlkMaxima
    I only want one camera though. The videos don't need to be HD quality I just want to be able to zoom while recording and be able to see what's happening.

I don't want anything complicated as my GF needs to be able to operate it aswell lol. I don't want to have a giant camera bag for lenses and what not.

I just want a good MULTIpurpose camera.
    I dedicate this reply to lint:

The Canon S2/3/5 IS cameras all zoom while taking video and will record sound in stereo. These are excellent cameras for most people. They are plastic though, and are still fairly small.

The Fuji S 6000/9100 cameras also zoom while taking video, however the zoom is manual (in my opinion this is good as it saves battery life and is faster). These cameras are also built very well and are a little more suited for larger hands, however that is very subjective.

If you want better pictures where the lighting isn't perfect as you mentioned in your first post, Fuji is the only point and shoot manufactuer I can think of with excellent high ISO performance. Most other cameras start to heavily degrade after ISO 200, where the Fuji will be useful up to ISO 800 or 1600 for most practical situations and 4X6 prints. They use a physically larger sensor than most, and are known for their excellent fashes on their P&S cameras as well. Their face detection system works too, even though it is a bit of a gimmick.

I would suggest going to The Camera Store and playing with a bunch of cameras, but if low light performance is a main concern the Fuji is definitely the winner in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-02-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I dedicate this reply to lint:
    I'm touched, really I am <sniff sniff>

Admittedly, for regurgitation of camera reviews, there is none better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast