Quantcast
Last Min Question Before I Buy My First DSLR - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Last Min Question Before I Buy My First DSLR

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Last Min Question Before I Buy My First DSLR

    So I'm pretty set on getting the Canon XTI. Just wondering if I should get extended warranty that the store offers and if I should get the accessory kit. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario
    My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup
    Posts
    1,159
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Yes on warranty, and what is included in the accessory kit, and for how much extra ?
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    The kit includes a bag, battery, battery grip and a filter for $300.
    The store quoted me $1260 for the XTI and the 17-85mm lens which is the cheapest I've found so far.
    Did everyone here buy the extended warranty when you bought your camera? I guess its a better safe than sorry thing?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Elbonia
    My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus
    Posts
    6,657
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    It can go either way, I didn't get an extended warranty and I use the living shit out of my camera. Never had a problem, others have had problems out of the box. It's always a gamble with warranties.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    2,375
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    The accesory kit is nice, but $300 is too much money IMO. And I bought the extended warranty on my camera... but I also got the camera super cheap, so it kinda made sense, seeing as it was a sort of one time deal thing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Border City
    My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33
    Posts
    1,176
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    I didn't buy an extended, but Nikon has a 2 year manufacturer warranty. +1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon
    Posts
    474
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Which place is it quoting you $1260 for the XTi/17-85 kit? Mostly just curious.
    keegan
    - 1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    YWG
    Posts
    3,119
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    I wouldnt bother with the extended warranty if it is over $100.

    My sister has gotten her cameras repaired a couple of times after literally hundreds of weddings and the repair costs were never over $200.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    51N, 114W
    My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance
    Posts
    598
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally posted by sl888
    The kit includes a bag, battery, battery grip and a filter for $300.
    The store quoted me $1260 for the XTI and the 17-85mm lens which is the cheapest I've found so far.
    Did everyone here buy the extended warranty when you bought your camera? I guess its a better safe than sorry thing?
    i dont know if this is of any interest, london drugs had the xti with the 17-85 lens (single box) and also included the 17-300 lens (seperate box) for 1049.95 like last week.

    so body plus two lenses, no bag, etc.

    EDIT: expert opinon needed, is that good price or what?
    Last edited by tha_bandit; 10-01-2007 at 10:45 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    i would not worry about extended warranty...it would be cheaper to insure it under your home insurance (and less hassle!)

    1250 for that kit is expensive imho...I paid 1350 for my 30D + 17-85 + 2GB card

    that accessory kit is too much....

    the grip is 160$

    go to sterlingtek.com for batteries. they are awesome. I used them in my xti for almost a year with no problem, as have lots of users on the canon forums.

    2 batteries for ~40$

    and buy a nicer bag, like a crumpler or something.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally posted by blam
    i would not worry about extended warranty...it would be cheaper to insure it under your home insurance (and less hassle!)
    1250 for that kit is expensive imho...I paid 1350 for my 30D + 17-85 + 2GB card
    that accessory kit is too much....
    the grip is 160$
    go to sterlingtek.com for batteries. they are awesome. I used them in my xti for almost a year with no problem, as have lots of users on the canon forums.
    2 batteries for ~40$
    and buy a nicer bag, like a crumpler or something.
    Yeah I read a post about that deal but its over now so shitty for me....i'll look into the batteries though. Thanks.

    Originally posted by tha_bandit

    i dont know if this is of any interest, london drugs had the xti with the 17-85 lens (single box) and also included the 17-300 lens (seperate box) for 1049.95 like last week.
    so body plus two lenses, no bag, etc.
    EDIT: expert opinon needed, is that good price or what?
    Are you sure?! On their site it has the XTI with the kit lens for $899 and thats normal but I will definitely go to london drugs today. There has been a lot of deals for the XTI around that price with 2 lenses but its with the kit lens and 75-200mm.

    Originally posted by kvanderlaag
    Which place is it quoting you $1260 for the XTi/17-85 kit? Mostly just curious.
    Japan Camera

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,409
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Henry's is still selling 30D's for $999 if your interested, $1049 with the 18-55 kit lens.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    2,375
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    The accesory kits sell for $150ish a lot of times at stores or online, and you can get many places to price match this.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    51N, 114W
    My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance
    Posts
    598
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally posted by sl888


    Are you sure?! On their site it has the XTI with the kit lens for $899 and thats normal but I will definitely go to london drugs today. There has been a lot of deals for the XTI around that price with 2 lenses but its with the kit lens and 75-200mm.


    Japan Camera

    yea i'm sure, sale might be over though, futureshop has the xti with the 18-55 lens and also the 75-300 lens for 1069 now chek the friday oct 5 flyer.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally posted by tha_bandit

    yea i'm sure, sale might be over though, futureshop has the xti with the 18-55 lens and also the 75-300 lens for 1069 now chek the friday oct 5 flyer.
    Well I checked 2 London Drugs and both told me they never had that deal.

    Originally posted by Hash_man
    The accesory kits sell for $150ish a lot of times at stores or online, and you can get many places to price match this.
    Where did you see it for $150? The cheapest I found was Blacks for $250. I might end up going with this kit if I don't find a really good bag for the camera and my laptop.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    51N, 114W
    My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance
    Posts
    598
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally posted by sl888

    Well I checked 2 London Drugs and both told me they never had that deal.

    haha no way, i just saw the old flyer again at my buddy's house, for 1050, same deal at future shop now though, here
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0002052&catid=
    both lenses included!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally posted by tha_bandit


    haha no way, i just saw the old flyer again at my buddy's house, for 1050, same deal at future shop now though, here
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...052&catid=
    both lenses included!
    That deal doesn't include the 17-85mm lens

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,409
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Maybe all that's happened here is that the 18-55 has been confused with the 17-85?
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-09-2007 at 09:14 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    51N, 114W
    My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance
    Posts
    598
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally posted by sl888

    That deal doesn't include the 17-85mm lens
    i never said it did, only the 18-55 as mentioned above, confusion between the two maybe?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally posted by tha_bandit
    i dont know if this is of any interest, london drugs had the xti with the 17-85 lens (single box) and also included the 17-300 lens (seperate box) for 1049.95 like last week.

    so body plus two lenses, no bag, etc.

    EDIT: expert opinon needed, is that good price or what?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. last min cheap deals?

    By Seks in forum Travel and Vacation
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 10-27-2007, 12:41 PM
  2. Question Regarding DSLR (newb!)

    By hampstor in forum Photographer's Corner
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 06-12-2007, 07:33 PM
  3. First DSLR

    By Spike_16v in forum Photographer's Corner
    Replies: 32
    Latest Threads: 05-25-2007, 10:30 AM
  4. First DSLR Camera

    By bball2 in forum Photographer's Corner
    Replies: 12
    Latest Threads: 09-23-2006, 11:41 AM
  5. Sony's First DSLR Camera

    By Xaroxantu Zero in forum Photographer's Corner
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 06-05-2006, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •