Quantcast
First New Car - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: First New Car

My Ride
    '92 Buick Skylark GS

Default First New Car

Hey guys I am new to this forums and am already learning lots of stuff by just reading the old/active posts. I just turned 19 and am starting to save up some money for my first NEW car. Right now I own my dads old '92 Buick Skylark GS, but, as its been through 3 (mine, brother, sisters) G1/G2 licences its in some bad shape.

I am looking to buy a new car hopefully by next May/June 2008. I only want a 2 door and will not settle for a 4, I have never liked them. I am looking for a car with low repair costs but also a sporty look. It also must have a good hopefully lengthy list of mods around for it, mostly cosmetic (ie, body kits, exhaust, ect.).

The thing that is really swaying what I like and dont like is the sporty look and gas milege... I dont want a car you see everywhere. So no Honda Civic.

Cars I have been looking at already (in order of most fav.)

1. Chevy Cobalt SS
    2. Hyundai Tiburon (newer look versions, love the 2008 look)
    3. Mitsubishi Eclipse or Spyder
    4. Mazda Mx-5 Miata
    5. Nissan Altima Coupe

I either going to buy new near the end of 2008 with 0% financing or slightly used, as in 2003+.

Please tell me what you think, or even more cars that maybe I have overlooked.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot. I know you cant tell me what car is "best" but you can give opinions.

Thanks in advance,
    Mercer.
    Last edited by Mercer_101; 10-02-2007 at 08:16 PM.
    '92 Buick Skylark GS

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

I really like the Cobalts.

My Ride
    '03 G35 AT

the new versions of tiburons look dead sexy! but performance wise . . . . . . ......

My Ride
    CS-GA20DE-TT // B5 A4 TT

at 19 purchasing a depreciating asset would be a BAD idea man. Thats why so many young guys are rolling around in used cars.

It would be a good idea for you to take a good look at your finacial situation before commiting to a new car.

A car will affect your ability to get a mortgage, and a Student loan.

But if you set on it, then altima coupe... I have a buddy that works at stadium nissan... let me know if you want an option/price list.

How about the SRT-4. Im not much of a dodge guy (or domestics for that matter) but people say its a fun fast little car, and lots of mods aswell

My Ride
    I like. :)

Originally posted by doublepostwhore
    at 19 purchasing a depreciating asset would be a BAD idea man. Thats why so many young guys are rolling around in used cars.

It would be a good idea for you to take a good look at your finacial situation before commiting to a new car.

A car will affect your ability to get a mortgage, and a Student loan.

This is good advice.

Look for your first NEW car after college/university. Not only will the cars be better in the future but you will also see how much money you 'really' have after you factor in your college/uni. student loan debt.

As it's been said, go for a used car. It's the best for your situation OR go new but cheap (may not get the car you want but it'll be new, with warranty, you can baby it, etc.)

If you really want a new car, wait for the Saturn Astra.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: First New Car

Originally posted by Mercer_101

1. Chevy Cobalt SS
    4. Mazda Mx-5 Miata
    5. Nissan Altima Coupe

I either going to buy new near the end of 2008 with 0% financing or slightly used, as in 2003+.

P
    You aren't going to find 0% financing on 2.3.4.or 5.

If those are the ones your seriously looking at, at your age I'd lease the Cobalt SS.

If you're insistent on purchasing, and have the money, go for the Altima Coupe, just keep in mind those aren't going to be small payments.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    GTI

Get a used car unless you're a pro hockey player or your parents are paying for it.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Go for a honda fit? May be slow... but cheap, and Honda's tend to keep they're value a little better (no car really holds much value brand new). Also I think they look pretty good for a little econo-car.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy new at all. I would go used, or keep the car you have and finish school.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

test drive every one of those cars, but i'd add the civic SI to your list, it's pretty fun to drive.

but buying a brand new car is gonna tie you down for 3-4 years with car payments.

what's your budget anyway?

My Ride
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350

First thing to do... get a insurance quote on the car. With a new car you're going to need full coverage. In my case, a 2006 VW Golf was going to run me 7 grand a year for insurance... I just stuck with my tracker. I'm planning on right now getting a newer used vehicle, IE, a 2002 Tracker.

Ashey
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 4Matic
    2009 Smart ForTwo "Passion"

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: First New Car

Originally posted by Mercer_101
    I just turned 19 and am starting to save up some money for my first NEW car.
    I hope you're also saving money for monthly payments, skyhigh insurance premiums, rising gas prices, depreciation of a new car, maintenance (a new car shouldn't be too bad, but there's still stuff to do,) the cost of modding since you're talking about ricer mods already, accidents (might not be likely, but it's wise to budget for them,) and other miscellaneous shit like winter tires.

Cars are expensive dude. They usually cost double what people think they do, and if you're into cars, they'll cost like 5x more...

My Ride
    '05 G35x, '04 E53, '98 E36

Default Re: Re: First New Car

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    I hope you're also saving money for monthly payments, skyhigh insurance premiums, rising gas prices, depreciation of a new car, maintenance (a new car shouldn't be too bad, but there's still stuff to do,) the cost of modding since you're talking about ricer mods already, accidents (might not be likely, but it's wise to budget for them,) and other miscellaneous shit like winter tires.

Cars are expensive dude. They usually cost double what people think they do, and if you're into cars, they'll cost like 5x more...

very very true.

My Ride
    '03 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Default car

I'd have to agree with the other guy, DONT BUY A NEW CAR unless you have the money for it.
    How long u been driving? if its been less then a yr i'd say stick to a used car...u dont have enuff experience, and ur premium...i dont even wanna think about how much its gonna be...mine is 5500 /yr on 08 Mazda 3 and thats ALOT!!! but i have no choice i work everyday so i need a good reliable car to take me to work and back.....
    IF and ONLY IF you really have that much money to spend on a car, dont get some hyundai or sumthin, get HONDA or MAZDA or NISSAN, something that you know the falue of the car will still be pretty high, and get a small engine like 2.0 or even small , considering the gas prices....
    As for the MODS, done invest TOO much money into the car, your warranty will be gone even if u have an intercooler in there and they see it and 2nd of all...you never know what you might run into, accidents....or w/e and u'll need money to fix it and now adays to fix a new car...its pretty pricy

k i'll shup up now

My Ride
    WRX STI

Yeah agreed. Get something maybe just even a year or 2 old in good shape and you will be amazing how much money you can save. I was going to buy a nice car but instead i spent a little on a nice 1.8T Jetta, and now im buying a house. Then down the road once i get the house under control, then maybe time for a new car. But as said above, not wise to get a new car at a young age, but u can still get some damn nice used ones.

If not

let us know how much you want to spend and maybe we can give u some better susgestions that whats on your list.

My Ride
    '03 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

also....i just noticed ur lookin at a cobal...honesly by reading your comment/question i can see your looking for speed....they're not that fast to tell u the truth...they may be supercharged but I just smoked one last night with my stock Mazda 3 and I dont even wanna think wat i'd do to a tiburan lol

just stating facts

My Ride
    '03 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Default vw

Originally posted by teggypimp95
    Yeah agreed. Get something maybe just even a year or 2 old in good shape and you will be amazing how much money you can save. I was going to buy a nice car but instead i spent a little on a nice 1.8T Jetta, and now im buying a house. Then down the road once i get the house under control, then maybe time for a new car. But as said above, not wise to get a new car at a young age, but u can still get some damn nice used ones.

If not

let us know how much you want to spend and maybe we can give u some better susgestions that whats on your list.

I LIKE!!!!!!!!!! 1.8T, fuk i was supposed to get that used but dealership was asking like 20 grand, and it was an 03 with 60 kms, body looked like pure shitttt for its kms, otherwise i woulda gotten that baby
    but respect for VW, fuk half my friends have VW and they absolutely love itttttt

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

IMO dont buy your first three
    1. Chevy Cobalt SS
    I drove a cobalt, the car is fun for 20 minutes, but I think I would get tired of the boy racerness of it real quick

and the second two the quality is shit, (including my Lancer) you get what you pay for. they are nice cars, quick, and well built. But I drove a Civic Si last night and am saddened about the quality difference. You just know that Honda put more thought into the car then Mitsu or Hyundai did.

If I had to do it again, I would only go with a toyota or honda just for quality for my dollar.

Also I agree with the buying used statement. Get one on leaseback two years old and your money goes much further although it may not seem like it at the time. I have lost 5 grand on my car in 6 months just due to it being a Brand New Car
    Cos...

My Ride
    WRX STI

Default Re: vw

Originally posted by maZda3

I LIKE!!!!!!!!!! 1.8T, fuk i was supposed to get that used but dealership was asking like 20 grand, and it was an 03 with 60 kms, body looked like pure shitttt for its kms, otherwise i woulda gotten that baby
    but respect for VW, fuk half my friends have VW and they absolutely love itttttt
    Thanks, yeah i use to be a real honda man, and then i owned a 1.8t gti and now my jetta 1.8T and i love it also.

My Ride
    '03 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Default Re: Re: vw

Originally posted by teggypimp95

Thanks, yeah i use to be a real honda man, and then i owned a 1.8t gti and now my jetta 1.8T and i love it also.

no prob man, i love those cars
    by the way wats ur opinion on the mazda 3s? new ones

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast