Quantcast
The Painting/Art MEGA Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Painting/Art MEGA Thread

Default The Painting/Art MEGA Thread

Hey all,

Just curious if any of you are into creating and/or collecting paintings and other art (thinking more traditional types rather than industrial)? I never did anything art related outside of things like woodworking etc in my life. When everyone was doing art in school I was doing woodwork, metalwork, mechanics etc and never anything like drawing or painting, but now at almost 50 I decided to try and teach myself to paint. Last year I picked up some brushes and oil paints and just started doing shit and found out I really enjoy it!

I still haven't taken any classes for painting other than a once a week thing for a couple months where you just paint with other people for fun and get a few pointers from other painters doing the same things, but with the internet there is really a wealth of info available to get started. I know what I am doing is by no means considered awesome, but considering I have never done anything before 10 months ago and having very little time available to practice, I am pretty stoked with what I am learning! I really prefer painting out in nature but I am trying to squeeze in more time so painting in my house is happening more and more.

Is there anyone else here who picks up a brush now and again? Any other types of artists? If so would you be willing to share any of it here? I will put myself out there and post a few I have done it am in the middle of working on. I am not so much looking to learn absolute realism and prefer a bit more of a combination of impressionism and representational stuff. Feel free to like it, hate it, and comment on any of it. If you are experienced and can offer constructive critiques I am totally open to learn more!

Name:  IMG_20190624_125400_717.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  132.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190718_195213_299.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  89.6 KBName:  IMG_20190512_134453_818.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  103.4 KBName:  IMG_20191123_184658_300.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  66.8 KBName:  PhotoPictureResizer_191208_170859739_crop_3918x3024-1959x1512.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  114.6 KB
    Last edited by tirebob; 01-14-2020 at 02:33 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

My art is photography.

I've always wanted to do painting as well but never had the chance to do it.
    Used to draw/sketch when I was a kid

Very nice paintings btw! reminds me of some of the arts that I saw at the downtown Hyatt.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hey Bob, that's really cool. That's the style of painting that I really like, real scenes but a bit of an impressionist philosophy in terms of the detail. Love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thanks for the kind remarks! I honestly have a tough time liking anything I do but I think that is what is driving me to keep going. I never imagined I could get so obsessed with a hobby as such but it really gives me a creative outlet to explore and I am amazed at how a few hours can go by before I realize I have not had a single thought about anything other than what I am doing. It is very therapeutic! Much better than smoking pot... lol!
    @taemo - You should post some of your photos!

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Thanks for the kind remarks! I honestly have a tough time liking anything I do but I think that is what is driving me to keep going. I never imagined I could get so obsessed with a hobby as such but it really gives me a creative outlet to explore and I am amazed at how a few hours can go by before I realize I have not had a single thought about anything other than what I am doing. It is very therapeutic! Much better than smoking pot... lol!
    @taemo - You should post some of your photos!
    @tirebob here's an example of type of photos that I enjoy shooting the most

I processed this on the Prisma app as when I took this photo, I visualized it already as this type of art

Nice man! I am a point and shoot phone pic guy but one day would like the invest more into learning about it.

Point and shoot, I guess I occasionally do that on my S7. Used to be into camera stuff long ago, think Canon AE-1 era.

Taken on my S7 just over a month ago, no filters or processing, almost Christmas card worthy (what's that)...

Name:  20191213_113152.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  107.0 KB

But when I've got my tools at home and have spare time, I dabble with real and old wood...

Name:  20190730_115104~2.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  20191121_080205~2.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  75.3 KB
    Last edited by speedog; 01-17-2020 at 06:49 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yes, equipment matters much less. That's a nice shot. A little crop and post processing and it IS Christmas card worthy.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Nice work everyone! Good to see what people are working on here asides from cars. Bob, you're doing great and thanks for posting. Keep it up! You might want to try a sponge instead of a brush and seeing what kind of soft textures can be made. I can see it being useful on your clouds on the second pieced you posted. Any old sponge will do, tear it up by hand to get some unique marks. That or a perfectly flat, circular one may prove itself useful.

Here's the latest I've been working on. These are the start to a series of places of significance when I was younger. They're ultimately about the structure and memory of home. I'm not sure if I'd consider them drawings or paintings. Perhaps both.

Grandma's House
    Mixed media on acrylic
    18x24"
    Name:  IMG_6931cs.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  50.7 KB

Alan's House
    Mixed media on acrylic
    18x24"
    Name:  IMG_7578s.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  44.1 KB

I've also been doing a lot of still life, ink sketches lately. Here is my alternator for my Kswap. It was not fun and got a bit twisted on the far left stumpy thing. I didn't realize it till after I inked it.

Name:  DSC_3326.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  43.0 KB

Some work I did for Edmonton Art Council back in the 2012:

Concept done on acrylic sheet (plexiglas)
    Name:  DSC_5063c.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  97.7 KB

Completed vinyl wrap
    Name:  DSC_9314_2s.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  116.1 KB

@Chantastic Those are pretty rad! Are you creating it digitally before hand?

Here is one I started this weekend of a sunrise over a cold prairie field. Experimenting with a new technique where you basically complete the painting alla prima (in one sitting) but then scrape all the paint off and use the result as an under painting for later. I think I actually really like the results so far! Makes it more interesting to the eye.

Name:  08E10D79-D7FA-4422-AB64-76A7FB601270.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  70.5 KB

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I really like that last one you posted as well as the grain bins. Its awesome that you were able to find a therapeutic outlet. For me, that's woodworking, but I don't do it very often.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I did woodworking back in high school and I loved it. Most soothing to me was lathe work. Made a bowl and some table legs. Something about the idea that the finished piece is already inside the wood, you just need to take away the unnecessary stuff. That's philosophically calming to me.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    I really like that last one you posted as well as the grain bins. Its awesome that you were able to find a therapeutic outlet. For me, that's woodworking, but I don't do it very often.
    Thanks man! I actually love woodworking as well, but when we moved out to Water Valley I lost my shop space so all my stuff is blocked into a spare room with no space to really work. That is why I started to think about painting. I always need some kind of outlet for personal therapy and I figured it would be something I could do anywhere. It really has been great for me! I would recommend anyone try it.

- - - Updated - - -

I did woodworking back in high school and I loved it. Most soothing to me was lathe work. Made a bowl and some table legs. Something about the idea that the finished piece is already inside the wood, you just need to take away the unnecessary stuff. That's philosophically calming to me.
    I love turning as well! I wish I had more room to use my lathe but it will have to wait until I am in a position to build a home shop.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Chantastic View Post
    Here's the latest I've been working on. These are the start to a series of places of significance when I was younger. They're ultimately about the structure and memory of home. I'm not sure if I'd consider them drawings or paintings. Perhaps both.

Grandma's House
    Mixed media on acrylic
    18x24"
    Name:  IMG_6931cs.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  50.7 KB
    These are awesome! I have seen something similar with well known Palm Springs Mid century modern homes.. What would you charge to do something like this?

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Bob - your expression of light in the first and most recent paintings you posted is fantastic. I'd have those on my wall. Seriously great work!

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    Bob - your expression of light in the first and most recent paintings you posted is fantastic. I'd have those on my wall. Seriously great work!
    Thanks so much! I think those are my two favourites as well and I had the most fun creatingng them, but I still want to practice tighter painting as well. I think it is easier to get loose if you can already paint tight but it would be a bit harder the other way.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I think it is easier to get loose if you can already paint tight but it would be a bit harder the other way.
    I've heard loose is fast....
    Name:  giphy (2).gif
Views: 872
Size:  650.3 KB

That ES boy is learning his stuff for his Talladega trip.

Bwahaha! Awesome...

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Firstly, Bob - I think those are really good. For a beginner especially!

I make some of my own stuff. Rather, I have in the past but haven't exactly been inspired for a few years.

Name:  167412_10150342068655024_4571769_n.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  61.5 KB
    Name:  228567_10016340023_850_n.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  43.7 KB

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast