Quantcast
Car Washing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car Washing

My Ride
    Mazda MX3

Default Car Washing

I know this may be a rookie question to ask, but I would like to know how often I should be washing my car. My one friend tells me to wash her every 3 days, but that is kind of unrealistic to accomplish in reality. I don't want to admit it, but sometimes I don't wash the car for like a month and a half. How much damage does leaving your car dirty cause?

Thanks

My Ride
    06 S2000

It shouldn't be too bad, as long as it doesn't get too dirty. I don't think there's a set schedule. During the winter, as long as its not too cold, I would suggest about once a week (or whenever its warm enough) in order to clean off all the grime and salt. During the summer, depends on how often it rains and such. Damage is usually caused by the physical contact like writing stuff in the dirt.

I think 3 days would be wonderful, but overly optimistic... I usually wash mine once a week, on wednesdays before I head to the meet. And during the winter, I tend to slack a little more, depending on the weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

I try to wash my car at least once a week. I think that doing this will prevent the contaminants from bonding to the paint finish. Washing more often is better for the wax too! Wax is there to protect the finish, by acting as a sacrificial barrier. Washing too often isn't super great for your car either, as every time you touch your car you have the potential to inflict scratches. Even with the most careful washing techniques you will eventually get swirls caused by washing. Washing weekly also makes cleaning the rims much easier; most of the time I can clean the rims with just soap and water. In winter I try to wash as often as possible because as smurf said salt. Most of the time it is just a loonie at the coin wash because I know it will get dirty the second I roll out.

PS: I might have time to drop by on Monday and take a look. I have a break from 1 to 4.

My Ride
    Mazda MX3

I'll try to be a little more diligent about washing my car....no more letting it go for a month.

My Ride
    Hondas

wash it as often as it gets dirty, and have a layer of wax on the car to take all the rubbing of the wash mit instead of the clearcoat.

washing your car will mark the paint, lets be realistic... but if there is a layer of protection between the wash mitt and the finish then those marks are a non issue.

edit : yeah , pretty much what sneek said

My Ride
    0 - 60 In 10 minutes.

lol i think i washed my car once all summer.
    fuggin civic

My Ride
    a wrx.

As often as you care to. If you don't care, then not at all.

My Ride
    D'nasty

DONT GO thru the automated washers at <gas station> cuz they'll scratch her up bigtime, take your own foamey (or at least make sure their foam brush is CLEAN) and shammy to the pressure washy place. Drying with shammies; dont just start wiping your car like dishes... open up your clean shammy, lay/toss flat onto hood or roof and drag it flatly across, wring, repeat. Egads I saw this dude "dish-drying" his Porsche and I pulled the workvan back in to yell at him, was fun and he thanked me, but maybe he was scared that I was gonna take his car... I wanted to...

My Ride
    Bmw 325

i like touchless .... !!

My Ride
    D'nasty

Oh yeah touchless is kewl, just meant the ones with the friggin hangy things that *SMaCK* and grind all over your car... those ain't cool.

My Ride
    Hondas

you dont HAVE TO drag a flat chamois accross a car to make it work...

you've just never worked with one long enough to break it in.

if fact, that you said using the brush is good in any circumstance really tells me exactly how much you know about cleaning cars properly.

werd...unless it is a Meguiars Wide Versa Angle Body Brush.

My Ride
    Hondas

Originally posted by sneek
    werd...unless it is a Meguiars Wide Versa Angle Body Brush.
    anything meguiars makes can touch my car

edit: I would still only use it mouldings-down, and only ever my own. Not one thats been raped by countless runs over joe-blo's unrinsed jeep wrangler covered in mud.
    Last edited by 89s1; 10-18-2007 at 02:06 AM.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Grogdor
    DONT GO thru the automated washers at &lt;gas station&gt; cuz they'll scratch her up bigtime, take your own foamey (or at least make sure their foam brush is CLEAN) and shammy to the pressure washy place. Drying with shammies; dont just start wiping your car like dishes... open up your clean shammy, lay/toss flat onto hood or roof and drag it flatly across, wring, repeat. Egads I saw this dude &quot;dish-drying&quot; his Porsche and I pulled the workvan back in to yell at him, was fun and he thanked me, but maybe he was scared that I was gonna take his car... I wanted to...
    Using a chamois is bad for the paint regardless. You know how it's tough to drag a wet chamois across paint? That's called friction, and it creates swirl marks. Think of it as claybarring your car every time you dry it.

I personally use a big microfibre drying towel these days, and even those aren't perfect. Pretty much anything that ever touches the paint will cause swirl marks.

My Ride
    Mazda MX3

Does anyone have any advice on how to break in a new chamois? I went to use it for the first time and noticed yellow fibers coming off it on my hands. I took it home, soaked it, and attempted to squeeze the loose fibers off. It was better, but still left some yellow bits on my car. Any suggestions?

My Ride
    06 S2000

I was always warned that the first 5-6 times you use one, is the break in period, I'd assume its when the loose fibers come off?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

The fibers will stop falling of after the first 10ish uses.
    I only use them for quick engine wipe downs now.

Just get a waffle weave drying towel. $14ish and they are fantastic. Usually one towel per car, soft, and if a spec of dirt happens to be on the paint, it gets picked up and swept into the nap of the towel. Let me know if you want one. I have a group buy going on, so I can get 10 -15% off. I think tomorrow at 11:59 is the latest you can get back to me.

Originally posted by sneek
    The fibers will stop falling of after the first 10ish uses.
    I only use them for quick engine wipe downs now.

Just get a waffle weave drying towel. $14ish and they are fantastic. Usually one towel per car, soft, and if a spec of dirt happens to be on the paint, it gets picked up and swept into the nap of the towel. Let me know if you want one. I have a group buy going on, so I can get 10 -15% off. I think tomorrow at 11:59 is the latest you can get back to me.
    Where do you get waffle weave drying towels?

Also whats a good brand of wax and where do you get it? Ive never waxed my car so im sorta a newb with that but i wanna give it a shot this weekend (so can i have some tips w/ that as well?) thanks guys!
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

I order from Eshine.ca

If you want the towels shoot me a PM. We are doing a group buy on another forum and I don't want to cross link ...I don't think it is against the rules, but I jsut want to play it safe. As for the wax...is this for your black cobalt? Shoot me a PM and I will get you on your way.

My Ride
    2008 Scion xB

PM'd Sneek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast