Quantcast
100% cpu usage at idle HELP! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 100% cpu usage at idle HELP!

My Ride
    MB C63

Default 100% cpu usage at idle HELP!

I just finished formatting my computer with windows xp 64bit. Everything was running great before except for a boot.ini problem. Anyways I went out bought a brand new harddrive did everything fresh and clean with full format and install. Now the problem im having is that my cpu usage is at 100% all the time. When i open up task manager 'system idle process' is running at 99% which makes absolutely no sense. I downloaded process manager to see further into the problem but come up with nothing.

Ive tried uninstalling drivers, reinstalling old ones, pretty much everything that listed on google ive tried. Sometimes after uninstalling a driver the cpu usage will be good but after a restart it goes back to the 100% cpu usage. Now I have no idea whats causing it and its really pissing me off because ive been doing this shit for a week.

If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced a similar problem please help me! Thanks in advance.

Mobo: Asus A8V-E SE
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    RAM: 2GB OCZ DDR
    HD: BRAND NEW WD 500gb Sata

checked my computer and under cpu for system idle process its pretty much 99 all the time noticed that its always like that on all the comps i've checked.

My Ride
    Jasons mom

mine shows like 4% when im not doing anything....

My Ride
    300 Limited

Default Re: 100% cpu usage at idle HELP!

Originally posted by djayz
    I just finished formatting my computer with windows xp 64bit. Everything was running great before except for a boot.ini problem. Anyways I went out bought a brand new harddrive did everything fresh and clean with full format and install. Now the problem im having is that my cpu usage is at 100% all the time. When i open up task manager 'system idle process' is running at 99% which makes absolutely no sense. I downloaded process manager to see further into the problem but come up with nothing.

Ive tried uninstalling drivers, reinstalling old ones, pretty much everything that listed on google ive tried. Sometimes after uninstalling a driver the cpu usage will be good but after a restart it goes back to the 100% cpu usage. Now I have no idea whats causing it and its really pissing me off because ive been doing this shit for a week.

If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced a similar problem please help me! Thanks in advance.

Mobo: Asus A8V-E SE
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    RAM: 2GB OCZ DDR
    HD: BRAND NEW WD 500gb Sata

Out of curiosity, what web browser(s) do you use?
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

under the processes tab
    system idle process shows CPU 99

under performance tab cpu usage 0-10% as i'm typing this up
    so thought its normal under processes tab?

My Ride
    MB C63

using internet explorer.

and yes its normal for the system idle process to run at 99% when idle. thats not the problem. Im having the problem that my CPU usage is actually running at 100% even though system idle is at 99%. in other words the computers running like something from the 1980s!!!

My Ride
    Jasons mom

did you download ANYTHING? is your computer connected to the internet at all times? Could be a virus....

My Ride
    1985 300ZX

Bring up the task manager and see what is using your processor it is mostly likely some spyware or rouge program.

google the name of the file that is using it and you should find ways to remove it.
    Speedy
    1985 300ZX & 1991 300ZX

My Ride
    MB C63

no downloads no internet connection and like i said in my original post system idle process is at 99% nothing else yet my cpu usage still sits at 100% somethings fucked

ill try post a screenshot of whats happening...

My Ride
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Needs a new ride)

I think I have the same problem as you...maybe.

Mine is 99-100% all the time...and slow too. I think my problem is in my registry. Check your processes...see if you have a program/process under the name of svchost.exe...there will be some already running, but one is a virus. Google that file name and you'll see what I mean.

My Ride
    1985 300ZX

Well you can't have 99% system idle and 100% CPU usage. How does your machine run? is it slow?

You shouldn't be able to do much if your CPU is truly at 100% , I would try something like speedfan to monitor your CPU
    Speedy
    1985 300ZX & 1991 300ZX

My Ride
    MB C63

nothing is running i have 21 processes and the only thing running at more than 1% cpu usage is system idle process, however my cpu usage is at 100%

its basically task manager contradicting itself

My Ride
    MB C63

Originally posted by Speedy
    Well you can't have 99% system idle and 100% CPU usage. How does your machine run? is it slow?

You shouldn't be able to do much if your CPU is truly at 100% , I would try something like speedfan to monitor your CPU
    thats why i just cant seem to figure this bs out. its basically one thing tell the other that its wrong haha and yes it runs reallllly fucken slow..basically as if your computer were running at 100% cpu usage

My Ride
    1985 300ZX

Try downloading and installing

http://www.topshareware.com/CPUMon-download-35923.htm

if you don't like that one there is lots more you can download.
    Speedy
    1985 300ZX & 1991 300ZX

My Ride
    MB C63

hmm i just unplugged my firewire pci card restarted and its okay...i put it back in restart again and its still okay....few more restarts and ill see what happens

My Ride
    MB C63

5 restarts and its okay...wtf! the first time i formatted i didnt even have this card in and i still had this problem but now its all good...what a fucken waste of time figuring this shit out

My Ride
    08 Mazdaspeed 3

Did you run updates on your machine?

I've only seen one time that has happened and it was on a 64-bit platform and OS but the computer didn't run like ass and Microsoft sent us a patch that wasn't available to the general public. It was basically Windows reporting incorrect statistics. Download Process Explorer from sysinternals.com and see if it sees the same thing as windows manager.

My Ride
    MB C63

yah all updates and all drivers are installed and process manager is what i was using. All seems good now that i unplugged the firewire card

just running some tests and restarts now see if the problem comes back

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by SuPhistiKatEd
    I think I have the same problem as you...maybe.

Mine is 99-100% all the time...and slow too. I think my problem is in my registry. Check your processes...see if you have a program/process under the name of svchost.exe...there will be some already running, but one is a virus. Google that file name and you'll see what I mean.
    I have that the same problem.

if it's not software, make sure nothing's overheating