Quantcast
Muslim Targeted Subdivision - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Should special race/religion developments be allowed?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 21.26%
  • No

100 78.74%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Muslim Targeted Subdivision

Originally posted by Team_BMW

Plus if any attacks were to happen you'd pratically know where to go...

It's like in L.A. driving through compton man... I'd fucking book it outta there and wearin red i think? Would probably get you killed...
    Wow, that's a lot of ignorance in such a small space.

Is this really why people think this is a bad idea? I honestly want to know, how many people are actually only against this because they think it's going to turn into Al Queda headquarters?

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Originally posted by FatalError
    Putting up walls, whether they are physical or conceptual, goes against much of what the idea of an integrated Canada is supposed to be. Why should the citizens of this country be burdened financially and logistically by a religious sect demanding social and geographic segregation? Most people try to integrate into society, but some , it seems, are bent on increasing common stereotypes and stigma.
    While I would agree that this type of self-imposed segregation does go against the spirit of our country, and undermines the integration attempts by others in the Muslim community. However, I agressively disagree with your apparent stance on whether or not we, as a society, should "allow" this.

We are a multicultural society, but we are also a free society (or at least we claim to be). If a sect of our population seeks to live in seclusion, they're free to do so. However, this type of interdependance does not entitle an indicidual, or a group, to special privileges.

On the face of it, this proposal, while unappealing and socially questionable, is not any different than a community built around a golf course or an airport. All these types of communities seek to gather a set of like-minded individuals into an engineered community.
    Again, I agree that, because of the circumstances and the current state of religious and social politics, the potential for social and political inequality and strife is there, that does not warrant denying the freedom of assembly and the right to live where one choses.

As far as monatary compensation is concerned: it will have no impact on your wallet whether a new community is built around a church, a mosque, a golf course, or a small airport, unless you choose to live there.
    Property taxes paid by the occupants go towards maintaining the roads and providing services in the area the same way that your tax dollars go towards paving roads and providing services in your area. I see no reason why a community would place any greater strain on their infrastructure simply because of their shared religious beliefs.
    Property taxes go to the same place, and pay for the same services, regardless of creed or color. I haven't heard anything that would lead me to believe that they don't intend on paying their taxes.

As a few on this board likely recognize, I'm about the last person one would expect to come to the defense of any religion. That said, I feel that civil liberties are much more important than my distaste for paranoid superstition, and being religious does not disqualify you from sharing in those rights.

In closing: I would strongly oppose this community being alloted special tax status, or having a self-governing body that superceeds that of the rest of Canada's, or being allowed to self-police. However, they have not made any such requests.

This is simply another engineered community, and while in bad taste (perhaps), does not carry any real implications outside of it's boundaries.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

Who will build the houses in the area?

Is Cardel and Jayman going to start designing models named... "The Baghdad" and "The Al Jazeera".

I can't wait to get a walk-out basement and bonus room model of "The Shiite".

Let me ask all of the people presenting arguments here the following: Did you vote yesterday?

Yes

My Ride
    01' BMW 320i

Originally posted by TKRIS

While I would agree that this type of self-imposed segregation does go against the spirit of our country, and undermines the integration attempts by others in the Muslim community. However, I agressively disagree with your apparent stance on whether or not we, as a society, should "allow" this.

We are a multicultural society, but we are also a free society (or at least we claim to be). If a sect of our population seeks to live in seclusion, they're free to do so. However, this type of interdependance does not entitle an indicidual, or a group, to special privileges.

On the face of it, this proposal, while unappealing and socially questionable, is not any different than a community built around a golf course or an airport. All these types of communities seek to gather a set of like-minded individuals into an engineered community.
    Again, I agree that, because of the circumstances and the current state of religious and social politics, the potential for social and political inequality and strife is there, that does not warrant denying the freedom of assembly and the right to live where one choses.

As far as monatary compensation is concerned: it will have no impact on your wallet whether a new community is built around a church, a mosque, a golf course, or a small airport, unless you choose to live there.
    Property taxes paid by the occupants go towards maintaining the roads and providing services in the area the same way that your tax dollars go towards paving roads and providing services in your area. I see no reason why a community would place any greater strain on their infrastructure simply because of their shared religious beliefs.
    Property taxes go to the same place, and pay for the same services, regardless of creed or color. I haven't heard anything that would lead me to believe that they don't intend on paying their taxes.

As a few on this board likely recognize, I'm about the last person one would expect to come to the defense of any religion. That said, I feel that civil liberties are much more important than my distaste for paranoid superstition, and being religious does not disqualify you from sharing in those rights.

In closing: I would strongly oppose this community being alloted special tax status, or having a self-governing body that superceeds that of the rest of Canada's, or being allowed to self-police. However, they have not made any such requests.

This is simply another engineered community, and while in bad taste (perhaps), does not carry any real implications outside of it's boundaries.
    You always come up with the most informative response. You must be an english teacher or something. If your not, well atleast you'd do amazing in it.

To my response it's not the matter that this subdivision will be a new Al' Qeuda headquarters. It's just a lot of people would have paranoia which I seem to suffer from day to day. It doesn't affect me as long as I'm not there and I do know a lot of good people who are muslims.

Don't get me wrong but I approve and dissapprove of this project being done. To me it seems like a little cult trying to be started, or perhaps a move towards a status or figure in society where everything is so mixed.

On that note, it should also not grant them special government cuts in taxes or any sort. The only people that should be claiming those rights are the natives. Were all immagrants here, since we did "Take" the land from them.

If the government gave this small conceptual community a tax benefit I'm sure a lot of other groups would jump on the band wagon. Since it may help defeat the purpose of taxes to help our growing infrastructure, etc... But however it doesn't seem that way, and so let it be. We'll just have to wait and see.

That's my 2cents.

EDIT: Yes, I did vote.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Originally posted by FatalError
    Let me ask all of the people presenting arguments here the following: Did you vote yesterday?
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    SoupRYou

im ahmadiyya muslim and i think its a bad idea my parents think its a bad idea
    my relatives think its a bad idea plus y u gotta make a community just so u can worship god
    sig kinda deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    01' BMW 320i

Reminds me of Energy1015 this morning...

The bible should be free!!!

Cause the word of god is free!!!, so the bible MUST BE FREE!!

i believe there is one of these already located outside of toronto. or atleast in ontario. i think its quite large aswell.

Originally posted by KuruptEX
    im ahmadiyya muslim and i think its a bad idea my parents think its a bad idea
    my relatives think its a bad idea plus y u gotta make a community just so u can worship god
    Kurupt ... you dont need a community to worship God .... its like asking .. why do you gotta have a house close to a golf course or a school or a mall? its a matter of convenience ... just like being close to a golf course is considered convenient for some ppl ... being close to their place of worship is convenient for others!!

Btw ... they also said they will build shops there and a school perhaps down the road ... this place will be open for anyone and everyone ... there are no recorded incidents of violence or gheto style living in the existing Toronto community ...

I dont really get it .. this isnt the first community for the Ahmadiyya community .. they have them in other countries and as far as Toronto within Canada ... There have been no issues ... this is a tested formula ... so whats the problem?

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

I do not think this is a good idea. Its another step closer to segregation. How is this a good thing? This is larger issue in Europe especially. The Muslim communities over there have very little ties with anyone outside of their communities/faith. The result is alot of violence and hatred going both ways.

If a Mosque or Chruch is built and people of that faith want to live close then so be it. There is no need for specialized subdivisions.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 10-16-2007 at 10:28 PM.

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

With a church you visit a few times a week, maybe just once on sunday, but with 5 prayers a day, you have much more reason to be close to a mosque.

And did they say they'll let non-muslims in? correct me but is it forbidden for non-muslims to enter a mosque? They wouldn't let me enter the grand mosque of Kuwait but I got into the dubai one.
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Where has anyone asked for any specialized treatment???? Its just a freaking themed community. This group has NOT asked for tax or governing benefits. It is aimed to be a completely OPEN residential area. ANYONE can move there!! It is not aiming to become a terrorist training ground. The muslims will not carry a special Id card, or uniformed nametags, there will not be any hostility towards non-muslims. The hostility would be the same as black guy with 30" rimmed Escalade moving into an affluent golf club community. Will the plaid posse beat him down with golf clubs...probably not. The first couple days they might do double takes...after that...hes just a neighbour. Ignorance starts with Assumptions!

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-30-2020 at 03:35 AM.

Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
    With a church you visit a few times a week, maybe just once on sunday, but with 5 prayers a day, you have much more reason to be close to a mosque.

And did they say they'll let non-muslims in? correct me but is it forbidden for non-muslims to enter a mosque? They wouldn't let me enter the grand mosque of Kuwait but I got into the dubai one.
    Anyone and everyone is welcome in an Ahmadiyya Muslim mosque ... it's a place of worship ... there are no restrictions on how you pray.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Well, maybe someone will just have to have some pig races in the field next to theirs...
    Mmmmm...Bacon.

Last edited by 89coupe; 10-17-2007 at 09:59 AM.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by 01RedDX

This is very different from the kind of segregation that is going on in Europe. There are many socio-economic factors at work over there, and the communities they live in resemble ghettos, not designer residential developments.
    Which I think is a lot to do with them not willing to integrate into the society.

My Ride
    Bmw 325

I dont think this should be allowed.
    Because of the fact that we in Canada need to keep our culture,
    if a certain race or group of people want a gated sub community that shouldnt be allowed i think they should stick with where they come from cuz its either you come here and experience a diverce city or country or stay at home where u can be with the people u want.

my question is would a church for catholics/mormons/whatever be allowed in the same community??? The whole point of Canada is multi-culturalism and the freedom to believe in whatever you wish. Churches of different faiths side by side each other. In my community in the SW we have a Roman Catholic church and a Church of Latter Day Saints almost on the exact same lot. I dont see why a community needs to revolve around a church/mosque??? I'm totally against the idea personally

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast