Quantcast
Why God is Imaginary - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Why God is Imaginary

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Janice
    It all depends on what you consider to be 'proof'. Although there are no empirical arguments for the existence of god, there are metaphysical ones.

In North America especially there is a tendency for people to believe in only that which they can sense i.e. touch, smell, taste, see, hear. However ideas like infinity (which is obviously not within human capacity to sense) is commonly thought to exist. The idea of infinity is a metaphysical one and as such there is a metaphysical argument it. Just like infinity, there are metaphysical arguments that provide logical 'proof' of the existence of a god.

Try reading Plotinus, Descartes, Augustine for starters. It is possible to provide a logical argument that a god exists, as these long-since-dead philosophers have demonstrated. Now whether this god belongs to any organized religion is another question...
    So you believe the universe and everything in it was created by one Being? A God?

My Ride
    Mazda MX3

Originally posted by 89coupe

So you believe the universe and everything in it was created by one Being? A God?
    I never said *I* believe in God. I just know there are many philosophical arguments providing logical proof, that's all. I just thought I would put that into the mix as you can't base your opinion on only hearing one side of the story. It's all about being open-minded right?

Personally I am hard pressed to believe in God. However I believe in infinity and gravity, so maybe God does exist. That was my point. I figure I will find out when I am dead.

God is an easy answer to questions in life (both hard and easy) for people who are either incapable or too lazy to look for a rational explination.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Bwahahaha.

Holy shit.
    Did you really just equate the logical arguments to the existance of god to the logical arguments to the existance of gravity?

That's fucking hilarious.

If so, you obviously don't understand the concepts of logic, gravity, or god...
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I never said *I* believe in God. I just know there are many philosophical arguments providing logical proof, that's all. I just thought I would put that into the mix as you can't base your opinion on only hearing one side of the story. It's all about being open-minded right?

Personally I am hard pressed to believe in God. However I believe in infinity and gravity, so maybe God does exist. That was my point. I figure I will find out when I am dead.
    Logic is science. There are no scientific explanations for "God".

If you have even one, please post it.

My Ride
    Bmw 325

so many christians and muslims believe that if u dont sin u go to heaven . but if u do u go to the burning fires of hell ..... But god loves u ...

I want someone to finally prove how this world isn't imaginary. Perhaps all of the things I see and touch and experience are just imaginary.

For instance, one question I can't wrap my head around is how did the universe begin to exist. How is it that it always just existed. Where did it originate? Is the universe as we know it truly infinite? Where do you end up if you just "keep going"?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by sputnik
    I want someone to finally prove how this world isn't imaginary. Perhaps all of the things I see and touch and experience are just imaginary.

For instance, one question I can't wrap my head around is how did the universe begin to exist. How is it that it always just existed. Where did it originate? Is the universe as we know it truly infinite? Where do you end up if you just "keep going"?
    Read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

Then read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe

My Ride
    335i

Read this.

Then read this.

K, now prove it.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by *prettyboy*
    so many christians and muslims believe that if u dont sin u go to heaven . but if u do u go to the burning fires of hell ..... But god loves u ...
    I don't care what you believe.

However you might want to actually learn about Christianity or Islam before entering this thread so that you don't continue to make yourself look like an idiot.

Christians believe that "...all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God" (Rom 3:23)

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

Logic and science was invented by humans. This or these "beings" are outside of our realm of comprehension and that is why we define "it" as God to fill the void it's incomprehension creates in all of us.

My Ride
    1928 Ford Roadster, 1930 Ford Roadster

'when asked whether I am an atheist to point out that the questioner is also an atheist when considering Zeus, Apollo, Amon-Ra, Mithras, Baal, Thor, Wotan, the Golden Calf and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I just go one god further.'
    from
    http://www.richarddawkins.net
    which is full of more good reading

Read this.

Then read this.

Wow. Wikipedia.

I guess since it was on the Internet that it MUST be true.

I also see the word "theory" and "unknown" show up quite a bit in those.

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

Originally posted by sputnik

why do we have to define all this? Why can't we just be ok with not knowing?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Mr_ET
    Logic and science was invented by humans. This or these "beings" are outside of our realm of comprehension and that is why we define "it" as God to fill the void it's incomprehension creates in all of us.
    Science uses experiment to back up its facts. You cannot argue science if it has been proven.

Science and theory use logical reasoning to base the theory.

God, the Bible & Religion was invented without logic or science.

My Ride
    Mazda MX3

Originally posted by TKRIS
    Bwahahaha.

Holy shit.
    Did you really just equate the logical arguments to the existance of god to the logical arguments to the existance of gravity?

That's fucking hilarious.

If so, you obviously don't understand the concepts of logic, gravity, or god...
    You obviously missed my point. I was talking about ideas that you cannot prove without logic. You CANNOT prove gravity exists without mathematical explanation, which is not PHYSICAL proof. If you drop your pen and it falls to the floor you can't say it is 'gravity', you would say there is an 'unseen force' making your pen drop to the ground.

I am certainly not equating the arguments for gravity (which are mathematical) to those of god (purely logical), just saying they both have a metaphysical basis.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by Mr_ET

why do we have to define all this? Why can't we just be ok with not knowing?

Because unless you can define them and prove them, arguing that god does not exist makes you sound as stupid as those who argue that god exists.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Mazda MX3

Science uses experiment to back up its facts. You cannot argue science if it has been proven.

Science doesn't PROVE anything. Science provides support for different hypotheses about the mechanisms driving our observations of the natural world. Nothing in science is a FACT, there are always exceptions to the rule. Even Darwin's theory of evolution is not a fact, it is a strongly supported theory. Darwin's theory still receives valid criticism to this very day.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I am certainly not equating the arguments for gravity (which are mathematical) to those of god (purely logical), just saying they both have a metaphysical basis.
    Logic is science.

The invention of God used no logic.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Science doesn't PROVE anything. Science provides support for different hypotheses about the mechanisms driving our observations of the natural world. Nothing in science is a FACT, there are always exceptions to the rule. Even Darwin's theory of evolution is not a fact, it is a strongly supported theory. Darwin's theory still receives valid criticism to this very day.
    Do you understand the definition of fact?

Scientific facts?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast